Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/17/2021 8:33:28 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately we couldn't get this into a nice installer or uploaded to Steam before the Christmas break, but we didn't want to wait until January to give you access to the fix for the rare warping units to Vienna issue. Please download the zip file, then unzip the files within to your WITE2 installation folder (this is usually C:\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2).

For Steam users, it's a bit more complicated. You'll need to first find your installation folder by right-clicking on the name of the game in your library, then choosing Properties, then Local Files then Browse. Unzip the attached zip file to that location and it should work. If you have any issues, click on Verify Integrity of Game Files in the same location as the Browse button I mentioned above and it will restore you to the previous version.

Here's the change list for this update:

v01.02.12 – 15th December 2021
New Features and Rule Changes

• This version includes the War in the West editor manual in the /Manuals folder that was accidentally left out of the 1.02.11 official update. Although there are many differences between the WitW and WitE2 editors, the WitW editor manual is a useful guide to understanding the WitE2 editor.
• Greatly reduced the chance that more men show as disrupted in the combat report detail than were in the battle. If it happens, this indicates an element has been disrupted more than once.
Bug Fixes and AI Improvements
• Day/night button on top menu display not appearing during air transport ops. Fixed.
• Can air transport any unit into an enemy hex adjacent to friendly airbase and it acts like an airborne drop. Fixed (not allowed into enemy hexes).
• More AT guns are built than the build limit. Fixed.
• Guards Rifle Corps was incorrectly downgraded to a Guards Rifle Division. Unit used to create corps had a rename that was not cleared that should have been cleared at the time of corps creation. Fixed.
• AI - Soviet unit warps to near Vienna (far behind enemy lines). Fixed.
• AI – Improved Axis AI in late war.

It is also available as a zip file for download via this Download link.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 12/17/2021 8:59:42 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 1
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/17/2021 8:40:23 PM   
vinnysix

Default for Steam is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2

Regards

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 2
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/18/2021 5:04:41 AM   
king171717

Just checking that it is installed correctly

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by king171717 -- 12/18/2021 5:05:05 AM >

(in reply to vinnysix)
Post #: 3
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/18/2021 5:55:55 AM   
Joel Billings

Yes, that’s what it should look like.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to king171717)
Post #: 4
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/18/2021 9:45:12 AM   
malyhin1517

Starting patch 1.02.12 in Steam is not possible.

Sorry, i use an online translator :(

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 5
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/18/2021 11:47:04 AM   
steevo38

Doesn't seem to work.
I'm getting an error message referring to something about steam

(in reply to malyhin1517)
Post #: 6
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/18/2021 1:38:18 PM   
Erik Rutins

I just tried it again and it works here as a manual update for Steam. Is it possible you unzipped it incorrectly? You could always Verify Integrity of Game Files on Steam, then try again per the instructions in the first post.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to steevo38)
Post #: 7
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/18/2021 5:21:34 PM   
oldMarinePanzer

Is there a high level estimate as to when the fix will get released so that we can edit the scenarios? Just looking for a "guesstimate" :-)

Post #: 8
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/18/2021 6:15:24 PM   
Joel Billings

We hope sometime in the first quarter of 2022. It depends mostly on the amount of distractions Pavel gets from other issues that come up that require his immediate attention. It also depends on how much his day job distracts him from this work. For that reason it's very hard to pin down when the editor work will be ready to go out.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to oldMarinePanzer)
Post #: 9
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/18/2021 6:24:30 PM   
Joel Billings

I was also able to manually extract the exe to my Steam WitE2 game folder and run it from Steam. For those having a problem, have you browsed the local files for Steam and do you see the revised exe in the folder after the extraction?

-- Soren Kierkegaard

Post #: 10
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/18/2021 6:39:05 PM   
Denniss

unpacking those files inside the WitE2 folder should come with pop-ups asking you to confirm overwriting existing files. If that does not come you made something wrong.

Post #: 11
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/18/2021 7:15:50 PM   
DeletedUser44

I have done the manual update on my steam installation and have not encountered any issue so far.

EDIT:

This is a wild guess, but after doing a manual overwrite of the WiTE2 executable in the steam folder, the system may flag and block that executable unless the 'Unblock' check-box is checked.

(I think this is dependent on local system security configuration - and may not always be required)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Sauron_II -- 12/18/2021 7:26:11 PM >

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 12
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/18/2021 7:50:52 PM   
malyhin1517

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

I was also able to manually extract the exe to my Steam WitE2 game folder and run it from Steam. For those having a problem, have you browsed the local files for Steam and do you see the revised exe in the folder after the extraction?

I was only able to launch the file through the game launch shortcut on the desktop. It is not possible to launch the game file manually from the Steam folder. I just never used the shortcut on the desktop and launched the game from the folder.

Post #: 13
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/18/2021 9:59:32 PM   
Joel Billings

Odd, I was able to launch the updated exe normally through Steam.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

Post #: 14
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/19/2021 12:29:01 AM   
Denniss

quote:

ORIGINAL: malyhin1517
I was only able to launch the file through the game launch shortcut on the desktop. It is not possible to launch the game file manually from the Steam folder. I just never used the shortcut on the desktop and launched the game from the folder.
Was steam client not running when you directly launched the .exe? Are you sure you overwrote the existing files with those from hotfix? I assume you did not open the .zip and started the .exe from within the .zip ?

Post #: 15
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/19/2021 5:22:32 AM   
malyhin1517

quote:

ORIGINAL: Denniss

quote:

ORIGINAL: malyhin1517
Was steam client not running when you directly launched the .exe? Are you sure you overwrote the existing files with those from hotfix? I assume you did not open the .zip and started the .exe from within the .zip ?

Steam is running, but the game is launched only through the Steam shortcut on the desktop. Version 1.02.12 is launched. Apparently this is the protection of steam.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 16
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/19/2021 10:56:36 AM   
steevo38

Hi,
As a computer Luddite am confused. Don't have the game on steam so don't understand the reference to it.
Just unloaded the zip file to desktop then unzipped to the wite2 location in program files then matrix. Went there and opened, clicked on application but got that error message referred to above.
Is this all essential now or will be dealt with anyway in a future patch?
Thanks

Post #: 17
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/19/2021 8:29:00 PM   
potski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately we couldn't get this into a nice installer or uploaded to Steam before the Christmas break, but we didn't want to wait until January to give you access to the fix for the rare warping units to Vienna issue. ...

It is also available as a zip file for download via this Download link.

This is a fatal error. If you play your GC game and any Soviet units teleport to Vienna, they then will capture it. You can play for many turns (hours of play) before noticing that you have lost 30 VPs. There's no real way back from this. This is extremely embarrassing that it is in the Steam version, because anyone who has waited for Steam, assuming that by now there will be a largely bug-free version, and are now starting GCs after playing some of the smaller scenarios, are going to have their games ruined playing with this bug from now until January.

At least the players who started pre-Steam are perhaps more used to checking the forums and downloading patches, might see this thread. But the patch file you have attached has very few downloads. But Steam users aren't going to come here and see this, before the bug strikes.

Are you sure this is rare? I saw the thread yesterday(Sat), but still thought that I would wait until Steam updates my current game, rather than do a manual patch. Until I was in October and checking why I didn't seem to have progressed much towards the score necessary to avoid a sudden death loss at the end of the year, even after just capturing Odessa and Dnepropetrovsk. Only to find that Vienna was listed as 36 VPs against the Soviet Union. Because there is no reason in the game to ever look at that part of the map, you can literally play for days without noticing.

I now see from the Save files that on the very first Soviet AI phase after changing over from manual install to Steam, that the Soviet AI sent two Rifle Divisions to a hex very near Vienna, and captured it the following turn.

There is no excuse for not patching the Steam version immediately.

Post #: 18
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/19/2021 8:48:43 PM   
Erik Rutins

We've posted an alert to this download hotfix for Steam users as well. I regret that our operations office had already closed for Christmas when the fix came through, so this seemed a better option than waiting until January to provide a fix. In normal times, we would still have found a way, but there are other factors related to the pandemic that made this the only solution available for now.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 12/19/2021 8:49:29 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to potski)
Post #: 19
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/20/2021 5:11:57 PM   
Joel Billings

The Vienna problem didn't happen for 8 months after release. The part of the code that caused the problem hasn't changed in 6 months, but it's possible that something else that changed had an indirect impact on that code. IIRC it has been reported by 2 players and I saw something like it happen in 1 game. All of these happened in the past 2-3 weeks. So the bottom line is it was non-existent until recently, at which point it happened to a few people, but because it just started happening we can't say just how rare it is now. As soon as we were able to repeat it from a save, we fixed it, but as Erik said, the holiday/pandemic issues kept it from getting into an installer. We wish we could get it out in an installer, but have made it available via the forum. There are literally thousands of games going on, so 2-3 reports sound rare. If you have your saves, you should be able to go back to before it first happened and rerun the AI turn. If it repeats (it might not for you), you will have to get the hotfix or wait for the installer to proceed. We're sorry we can't do more.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to potski)
Post #: 20
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/20/2021 8:19:54 PM   
gamer78

Matrix&Steam hotfix was at the same time, thanks. Playing Leningrad scenario pbem it is very different game from WITE 1 it seems. Railroad construction is a bit different with yellow dots, and readiness of units. Well done.

Post #: 21
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/20/2021 11:13:12 PM   
potski

Thanks Eric and Joel. I appreciate the difficulties in finding bugs, and how this could occur. And it is a reminder how the game we love is dependent on such a small group of dedicated people without the infrastructure of big software publishers. I hope my experience has been rare, and other players starting games recently won't have the same issues.

FYI I was playing since the game released, and had patched carefully, right up to 1.08.02_Beta. I started a new GC and played to T9.

Then I generated a Steam key and installed from Steam. I think that was 1.02.11? I copied the save files to the Steam folder and continued playing for a few days reaching T18, then noticed that I didn't control Vienna. The dates/times of the save files suggest that the Soviet units arrived near Vienna the first time the Soviet AI ran under Steam 1.02.11.

I have now manually patched the Steam version, 1.02.12_Beta. Then gone back to the T9 save file. I've advanced to T10 and the teleport to Vienna bug hasn't happened. While I don't like save scumming, I had made a couple of errors T10-T18 and am reasonably happy to replay those turns, having learned some lessons that I prefer to apply now, rather than in a new game in a few months. If I had spent 10-12 hours playing those turns and had performed perfectly I might be annoyed, but I'm still learning.

I can provide save files if you need them, but it looks like you already fixed the bug.

Post #: 22
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/20/2021 11:16:05 PM   
Zovs

I have the Vienna bug in my solo game. I have not patched up yet, it happened about 14 days ago or so. I got Covid 11 days ago and still am not well.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 23
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/21/2021 12:35:02 AM   
DonH58

I had the Vienna bug about 4 turns in with a new game with the v1.02.11 patch, I was shocked when I discovered a Russian unit sitting there around turn 4. I sent a Hungarian unit to take care of it. Then I saw the hotfix I restarted a new game and now I'm on turn 12 and no Vienna bug.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus MB
Radeon Rx 570 8GB Graphics Card
T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 32GB RAM
SSD 1TB NVMe 1.3 M.2
Win 10

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 24
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/21/2021 12:44:09 AM   
Joel Billings

Don, really sorry to hear about your Covid. Hope you are on the mend and will make a swift and full recovery.

It seems like something definitely changed a few weeks ago that unleashed the Vienna bug. The potential for that must have been there for a long time, but maybe held in check until some other change made it happen. In any case, glad to hear that it's fixed in the existing games that have reported back.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 25
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/21/2021 12:48:35 PM   
Zovs

Thank you very much Joel, it’s quite a process and the worst thing I have ever been through. Just waiting for all the meds to kick in.

🙂

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

Post #: 26
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/21/2021 1:13:44 PM   
Erik Rutins

Don, I hope you have a speedy and full recovery as well. If anything gets worse, make sure you don't just try to tough it out, this is no typical bug. Hang in there!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 27
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/21/2021 4:38:46 PM   
xhoel

Get well soon Zovs!

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 28
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 12/21/2021 6:54:47 PM   
Zovs

Thank you Erik and xhoel and yes this is not something to take lightly, getting all the help we can. Wished I jumped on this sooner, but it’s a nasty creeping wicked illness and attacks all your weaknesses.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 29
RE: 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update - 1/3/2022 9:43:21 PM   
TallBlondJohn

I have the Matrix edition and install. I don't want to put it in Steam - why should I?

So I download the hot fix into my Matrix install. Run the game - and I get an alert saying steam_api.dll was not found. So that's WITE2 broken.

Same issue Steevo38 reported above and got no feedback.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> 1.02.12 Beta Hotfix Update Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI