Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/13/2021 6:08:39 PM   
Harrybanana

MAY 8, 1942

Rain delays Offensive operations in Russia.

In Libya an over extended British Corps is surrounded and destroyed.

Otherwise I forgot to take screenshots.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 91
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/13/2021 6:13:13 PM   
Harrybanana

MAY 22, 1942

Bad news in Tunisia where a German Mechanized (which was in the hill circled in red) was overrun after several attacks. Even though my unit was inland one hex that didn't save it from the shore bombardment. It was also subjected to carrier attacks which were not intercepted by my fighter. Despite being in naval mode my air units in Sicily (off map) make no attempt to interdict the Allied controlled ports.

Do you think the German Infantry Corps on the hill in the West is safe?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 11/13/2021 6:17:16 PM >

Post #: 92
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/13/2021 6:19:03 PM   
Harrybanana

In the East the Axis Summer Offensives begins. One offensive is in the North. Here 2 or 3 Russian Armies are destroyed and some progress is made.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 93
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/13/2021 6:20:04 PM   
Harrybanana

AGC. The Centre is relatively quiet and no attempt is made on Moscow. But note the strengths of the Russian Tank Armies. They are very worrisome.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 11/13/2021 6:21:19 PM >

Post #: 94
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/13/2021 6:23:38 PM   
Harrybanana

AGS. The Southern Offensive is very successful. Several Russian Armies are destroyed and progress is made towards Stalingrad.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 95
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/13/2021 6:25:33 PM   
Harrybanana

Finland and the North are quiet.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 96
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/13/2021 6:31:09 PM   
Harrybanana

JUNE 5, 1942

In Algeria the Infantry Corps that was circled in green is overrun by a combination of multiple attacks and shore bombardment. I forgot to take a screenshot, but the British and American Armour in Tunisia move West towards Algiers rather than East towards Tripoli.

AGN. Yaroslavl and Ivanov are captured and a spearhead is driven East; but no Russian units are destroyed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 11/13/2021 6:32:41 PM >

Post #: 97
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/13/2021 6:33:24 PM   
Harrybanana

AGC is again quiet.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 98
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/13/2021 6:34:36 PM   
Harrybanana

AGS. Stalingrad is isolated, though of course it is a supply source.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 11/13/2021 6:35:16 PM >

Post #: 99
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/14/2021 7:25:01 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harrybanana

This is why I think the best solution to balance the game is to reduce rail repair in Russia from 3 hexes per turn to 2 hexes per turn.

I did not see you answer in this thread. Do you think this only change will be enough?
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5098818

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

Post #: 100
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/15/2021 5:36:55 PM   
AstroBlues

Germany is doing good.

Ron

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 101
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/15/2021 11:53:56 PM   
Harrybanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harrybanana

This is why I think the best solution to balance the game is to reduce rail repair in Russia from 3 hexes per turn to 2 hexes per turn.

I did not see you answer in this thread. Do you think this only change will be enough?
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5098818

I think reducing rail repair to 2 hexes per turn in Russia will balance the game; but this would need to be tested with several games.

But my fear now is that many players will copy YueJin's strategy in this game and disband the Russian air force and not build any US or UK air units. Although the Axis are doing well so far, this game is not over and I think YueJin's strategy is actually a very good one. Indeed I think I will copy it for my games as the Allies from now on. As the Axis I might even disband the Axis air forces and use the PPs to purchase more ground units. Even if Armour are nerfed, infantry are better than air units and cheaper too (both to build and for replacements). I might wait unit after the capture of Malta though. The problem is that air units are underpowered and not very effective.

< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 11/15/2021 11:55:10 PM >

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 102
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/16/2021 12:33:17 AM   
Flaviusx

The strat *is* pretty good, but I don't see how YueJin doesn't get hustled back to the Volga or beyond by the end of the summer.

The big difference here is maybe he saves enough armor to keep Russia in the game when they go from zero to hero from Sept on. But he is already risking them getting trapped around Moscow.

I saw your complaints about LL coming through Persia, but...you've cut that line in this game. Murmansk is cut as well. Presumably you will get Arkangelsk by the end of the campaign season. No more LL for the Sovs.

YueJin has put the best possible lipstick on the pig I've yet seen. It is still, however, a pig.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 11/16/2021 12:35:22 AM >

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 103
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/16/2021 3:07:01 AM   
Harrybanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

The strat *is* pretty good, but I don't see how YueJin doesn't get hustled back to the Volga or beyond by the end of the summer.

The big difference here is maybe he saves enough armor to keep Russia in the game when they go from zero to hero from Sept on. But he is already risking them getting trapped around Moscow.

I saw your complaints about LL coming through Persia, but...you've cut that line in this game. Murmansk is cut as well. Presumably you will get Arkangelsk by the end of the campaign season. No more LL for the Sovs.

YueJin has put the best possible lipstick on the pig I've yet seen. It is still, however, a pig.

I think you over estimate the Axis (or underestimate the Allies) in this game. Yes I think I will win, but I am definitely getting worried. If I can isolate the Russians cutting rail lines to the East and capturing Moscow, it will be game over. But this is risky for me too. I am overextended in places and my Armour is getting exhausted. If I fail in this than I will be the one getting trapped. Also the Allies are doing very well in Africa. I am losing a corps or so per turn there and will soon have to abandon several units and save what I can as I flee back to Italy. I thought my 6 bomber units could counter his naval superiority, but I was wrong.

In any event, my point is that whatever is done to balance the game the Allies will be able to then unbalance the game in their favour by scrapping the Russian air force. IMHO all air units don't pull their weight, but this is especially true of the Russian air force. Not only does it start with only 35% experience, but in my experience it is very slow to improve on this. I have played many games where the Russian army has been able to increase its experience from 30% to 50% after 12 to 18 months. But even after 48 months (ie war's end) the Russian air force has only been at 45%. And to get it to this level it needs to actively engage the Germans and take horrendous casualties. I know your trick of setting Russian bombers to interdict the Baltic Trade Route to gain experience, but this should not be the only way to gain experience. No thank you, from now on I will definitely scrap the Russian air force.

You are correct that in this particular game I have now cut the Persian Route as well. But are you saying this should be left as it is, that you are you OK with the US/UK trade to Russia going through Persia?

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 104
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/16/2021 3:21:14 AM   
MagicMissile

I agree about the Soviet airforce XP gain. It seems to grow very slowly. I have never seen it at 50. Probably because you can barely fly with it because your losses will be huge and you cannot afford to replace them. Only because it feels too gamey do I not disband the whole lot. But just bombing convoy lines or the Finns is a bit gamey too so maybe there is no difference .

Airunits need to become cheaper or better thats for sure.

/MM

Post #: 105
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/16/2021 4:19:18 AM   
Flaviusx

Harry I don't really like how the game handles the economics of the Soviet Union at all, so...

If it was up to me I'd do several things: increasing Soviet production substantially. Maybe by as much as a third. And place limits on what each possible LL route can carry, and you'd have to use both the Murmansk and Persian convoy routes to max this out. If we leave eastern LL as is at 30, it would be something like 35 points each for the other two routes.

The game drastically overestimates Soviet dependency on LL and also makes it possible to ship more than really ought to be possible.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to MagicMissile)
Post #: 106
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/16/2021 4:26:52 AM   
MagicMissile

Yes I agree with this too. LL was important but it was not 30-40% of USSR economy.

/MM

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 107
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/17/2021 1:02:32 AM   
Harrybanana

quote:

Harry I don't really like how the game handles the economics of the Soviet Union at all, so...

If it was up to me I'd do several things: increasing Soviet production substantially. Maybe by as much as a third. And place limits on what each possible LL route can carry, and you'd have to use both the Murmansk and Persian convoy routes to max this out. If we leave eastern LL as is at 30, it would be something like 35 points each for the other two routes.

The game drastically overestimates Soviet dependency on LL and also makes it possible to ship more than really ought to be possible.

I agree to increasing Soviet production by 15% to 25% and reducing the maximum amount of PPs that one nation can "trade" to another from 25% to 10%. But only if the Soviets are required to spend a certain percentage of their PPs on air units. Otherwise the Soviets will still trash (or at least not replace/upgrade) their air units and instead covert all of that extra production into a massive army. Then the game will be unbalanced in favour of the Allies. The problem is I don't think the current game engine can be tweaked to force the Soviets to do this. So the only solution is to make air units worth the cost for the Soviets (and everyone else) to build, replace and upgrade them.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 108
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/17/2021 8:42:59 PM   
michaelCLARADY

quote:

ORIGINAL: MagicMissile

Yes I agree with this too. LL was important but it was not 30-40% of USSR economy.

/MM

https://archive.fo/20140609040225/www.sturmvogel.orbat.com/SovLendLease.html

(in reply to MagicMissile)
Post #: 109
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/18/2021 6:38:57 AM   
Flaviusx

Nice cherrypicking. But, no, doesn't change the argument. At the bird's eye view the relevant statistic is GDP. And LL did not account for anything like 30-40% of Soviet GDP in wartime. You can of course find this or that part of the Soviet economy where the allies disproportionately contributed to it. (As you have done here, hence "cherrypicking.")

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to michaelCLARADY)
Post #: 110
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/18/2021 3:50:51 PM   
Harrybanana

quote:

Nice cherrypicking. But, no, doesn't change the argument. At the bird's eye view the relevant statistic is GDP. And LL did not account for anything like 30-40% of Soviet GDP in wartime. You can of course find this or that part of the Soviet economy where the allies disproportionately contributed to it. (As you have done here, hence "cherrypicking.")

My comments had nothing to do with Lend lease per se. Even if Lend Lease were removed from the game entirely I would still argue that Nations (not just Russia) should be required to "allocate" their PP between naval, air and land. It wasn't easy to convert an aircraft factory to make T4s or a Shipyard to make Spitfires (not that anyone would). The game gives players the ability to effectively do this. You can even scrap your air force and use the resulting wood and aluminum to build tanks or rifles. This is not historically accurate. I can see why this was done for simplicity. But if you are going to do this than you have to balance the 3 arms so that there is no incentive for people to scrap air forces and not build, upgrade or replace air units. At the moment the balance is not there.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 111
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 11/18/2021 4:16:46 PM   
Flaviusx

That was in response to another post, Harry, not yours.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 112
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 12/23/2021 2:20:11 AM   
Harrybanana

JUNE 19, 1942

No turn from Yuejin in over a month, so our game timed out. I was posting one turn behind, so below are some final Screenshots.

AGN

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 113
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 12/23/2021 2:21:42 AM   
Harrybanana

AGC. As you can see quite there was very large bulge developing.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 114
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 12/23/2021 2:22:46 AM   
Harrybanana

AGS. Stalingrad is captured, a couple Armies are destroyed and more are isolated.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 12/23/2021 2:23:54 AM >

Post #: 115
RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) - 12/23/2021 2:24:51 AM   
Harrybanana

The situation was not quite as rosy in Algeria.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 116
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> RE: HB (Axis) vs YueJin (Allies) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI