Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to play Solo?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> How to play Solo? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to play Solo? - 12/26/2021 10:02:37 PM   
Beep

Beyond the PO what is the process towards playing both sides of a scenario solitare. As in what mentality do i try and bring so i dont use my knowledge of the other sides dispositions to influence the game?
Post #: 1
RE: How to play Solo? - 12/27/2021 1:20:57 PM   
cathar1244

One thing to do is devise sets of "strategies" for each side, and then blindly pick a "strategy" for each side to pursue. You'll know more or less how things will transpire on a large scale, but could still be a bit fun.

Cheers

(in reply to Beep)
Post #: 2
RE: How to play Solo? - 1/1/2022 5:25:09 PM   
Beep

What how do you contort the strategy on the fly? Do you account for that or do you try to have specific objectives goals in mind and think of something around that? Examples in play would be greatly appreciated.

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 3
RE: How to play Solo? - 1/2/2022 12:38:01 PM   
cathar1244

The way I would do it--

Make a pyramid-structure of choices for each side. Two choices for each strategy. Flip a coin to decide which strategy each side initially follows.

Then have other decision points as things transpire in the scenario. Example: "Soviets recapture Kharkov" -- an decision point for the German player. If German emphasis was against Moscow to that point, there is a 50% chance that emphasis shifts to the south.

It could be made a basic set of choices, or something with a lot of choices. That is up to you to determine how detailed you want this "guidance" to be.

If you try this, let us know what you set up and how it worked as a way of playing a solo game.

Cheers

(in reply to Beep)
Post #: 4
RE: How to play Solo? - 1/3/2022 7:32:47 AM   
Magpius

Try asking this question on the World in Flames thread. That game does not yet have a P.O.
Also you could take a look at an AAR in Warplan Pacific by Remington700. He played the game solo hot-seat.

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 5
RE: How to play Solo? - 1/3/2022 7:34:30 AM   
Magpius

[double post deleted]
But welcome to the forums Beep.

< Message edited by Magpius -- 1/3/2022 10:26:32 PM >

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 6
RE: How to play Solo? - 1/10/2022 6:56:36 PM   
StratmanWITX

quote:

Try asking this question on the World in Flames thread. That game does not yet have a P.O.
Also you could take a look at an AAR in Warplan Pacific by Remington700. He played the game solo hot-seat.

Let me add my 5 kopecks (or two cents). I've been basically playing solo in AGEod strategies for several years now. At the beginning, I was worried about the problem of knowing "the enemy's" plans. Also thought flip a coin. But in reality, I've never even done it. Every turn I answer the following questions: "What is my plan now? What do I know about the enemy, based on the fog of war? How does my plan change because of this?" Thus, my plan is flexible from turn to turn, and may differ from the plan at the start. Just like in real war.

Regards,
Stratman

(in reply to Beep)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> How to play Solo? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI