Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Upgrades

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Upgrades Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Upgrades - 1/1/2022 10:23:42 PM   
DavidDailey

You can't upgrade next to an enemy unit. I suppose the rationale is you can't change your rifles for better ones in the heat of battle. Who does it help? Well, it doesn't hurt the Germans or Japanese. Nobody is bothering them when they get that infantry weapons and tank level increases early in the game. And you can also be sure that they are clinging next to every Russian and Chinese unit when they finally get their pathetic little infantry or tank weapons upgrade. These are critical upgrades. So explain to me why a rule that so blatantly favors one side is fair.
Post #: 1
RE: Upgrades - 1/1/2022 10:27:36 PM   
Elessar2

Again, just some extra toggles in the editor (or even in the game options menu) to allow for this kind of thing would be very welcome.

(in reply to DavidDailey)
Post #: 2
RE: Upgrades - 1/1/2022 11:19:19 PM   
Bo Rearguard

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidDailey

I suppose the rationale is you can't change your rifles for better ones in the heat of battle.

Troops that received more advanced kit were often withdrawn from combat to train how to use it. Seems easy enough to do in the game by rotating one unit in and one unit out of the hex. Or, if you see an upgrade opportunity coming simply hold a new unit back one turn in a well-supplied area before sending it to the front.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

Post #: 3
RE: Upgrades - 1/2/2022 12:18:11 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

You can't upgrade next to an enemy unit. I suppose the rationale is you can't change your rifles for better ones in the heat of battle. Who does it help? Well, it doesn't hurt the Germans or Japanese. Nobody is bothering them when they get that infantry weapons and tank level increases early in the game. And you can also be sure that they are clinging next to every Russian and Chinese unit when they finally get their pathetic little infantry or tank weapons upgrade. These are critical upgrades. So explain to me why a rule that so blatantly favors one side is fair.

You will get good training doing this to front line units in SC-WW1. It can be hazardous to your health when switch/swapping units...which is realistic. You got to plan it out. Btw,its been my opinion that SC-WW1 is the best platform to learn the nuances and rigor of some of these game mechanics. At least for me it has. I was able to see some of my shortcomings with WiE, which I played years earlier, and helped here with WaW when I got (gratefully) talked into giving it a try with PBEM.

Never saw a problem here with WaW and some kind of balance issue when it comes to upgrading troops. Sometimes you can only do a little at the time...and place any extra's behind the lines to get the upgrade first..then swap.

Post #: 4
RE: Upgrades - 1/2/2022 1:07:32 AM   
DavidDailey

Rotating front line troops out causes you to lose all your fortification bonus, assuming you have someone to replace them with. If you suck it up and do that the mechanics of shifting Russian and Chinese units with no mobility in rough or mountainous terrain requires the skills of a magician.

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 5
RE: Upgrades - 1/2/2022 1:13:26 AM   
SittingDuck

I am unsure of your suggestion to resolve.

Post #: 6
RE: Upgrades - 1/2/2022 3:32:27 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

You will get good training doing this to front line units in SC-WW1. It can be hazardous to your health when switch/swapping units...which is realistic. You got to plan it out. Btw,its been my opinion that SC-WW1 is the best platform to learn the nuances and rigor of some of these game mechanics. At least for me it has. I was able to see some of my shortcomings with WiE, which I played years earlier, and helped here with WaW when I got (gratefully) talked into giving it a try with PBEM.

Never saw a problem here with WaW and some kind of balance issue when it comes to upgrading troops. Sometimes you can only do a little at the time...and place any extra's behind the lines to get the upgrade first..then swap.

Ain't that the truth! Much harder to upgrade in WW1! Some gratefulness sinking all of my Dreadnoughts!

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 7
RE: Upgrades - 1/2/2022 8:46:40 PM   
DrZom

quote:

Rotating front line troops out causes you to lose all your fortification bonus, assuming you have someone to replace them with. If you suck it up and do that the mechanics of shifting Russian and Chinese units with no mobility in rough or mountainous terrain requires the skills of a magician.

You exchange positions with a rear unit using the shift-s function. The new unit online does lose a part of the entrenchment bonus yet retains part; one assumes you already upgraded that unit so the loss is balanced out. The unit that you rotated out can upgrade on the very same turn it fell back.

Post #: 8
RE: Upgrades - 1/3/2022 1:33:48 AM   
DavidDailey

That sounds really good. Is there a page in the game manual that describes the procedure for doing this?

(in reply to DrZom)
Post #: 9
RE: Upgrades - 1/3/2022 2:58:26 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

That sounds really good. Is there a page in the game manual that describes the procedure for doing this?

DrZom nailed it in a nutshell. Just practice it in a hot-seat test.

Post #: 10
RE: Upgrades - 1/3/2022 8:13:50 PM   
DrZom

quote:

The manual does explain exchanging units with the shift-s function, but I don't think it ever spelled out this particular usage for it. It is also useful to exchange worn units for fresh, and reinforce on that same turn, no waiting like if you had moved the unit.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Upgrades Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI