Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why is this contact jumping all over the place ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Why is this contact jumping all over the place ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why is this contact jumping all over the place ? - 1/3/2022 2:45:40 PM   
nukkxx5058

Hello,
I don't see the meaning of having such a contact jumping all the time all over the map. What does it mean ? Once detected it is supposed to remain stable within its uncertainty region. No ?
The larger the uncertainty region, the greater the uncertainty. Instead, it's jumping everywhere. This brings absolutely no added value in terms of information.
I have the impression (but I might be wrong) that this behavior is quite recent. I have 1147.38

What do you think ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCrQDGasozE

Any explanation ?

It's PBEM but can provide the save + password by PM if necessary.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Why is this contact jumping all over the place ? - 1/3/2022 4:19:52 PM   
thewood1

I know one of the factors is the platforms detecting it. If you have a lot of platforms detecting and undetecting it, that will cause the focal point of the contact to shift in real-time. As far back as I remember, that's how it worked in many complex scenarios.

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 2
RE: Why is this contact jumping all over the place ? - 1/3/2022 4:28:38 PM   
thewood1

btw, in larger and more complex scenarios, and some smaller ones, I use the mark contact feature a lot to help zero in on contacts over time. This is especially useful for subs with intermittent contact.

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 3
RE: Why is this contact jumping all over the place ? - 1/3/2022 8:26:42 PM   
nukkxx5058

I was suspecting it's maybe because the detectors are satellite like this #48 - Mercury [Advanced Vortex] (United States - 1994) ?

But why are the other contacts stable ?

< Message edited by nukkxx5058 -- 1/3/2022 8:27:05 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 4
RE: Why is this contact jumping all over the place ? - 1/3/2022 9:11:18 PM   
Kushan04

Video is private so can't see what may be happening. As the FAQ says, you should always upload a save for something like this.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 5
RE: Why is this contact jumping all over the place ? - 1/3/2022 9:38:18 PM   
thewood1

As I and others always say, without a save, its all guess work.

(in reply to Kushan04)
Post #: 6
RE: Why is this contact jumping all over the place ? - 1/3/2022 10:08:15 PM   
nukkxx5058

Ok I changed the video. It's now available.
Regarding the save, pls read my comment in my original post.

I'm reposting the link in case it changed when I made the video public
https://youtu.be/YCrQDGasozE

< Message edited by nukkxx5058 -- 1/3/2022 10:15:27 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 7
RE: Why is this contact jumping all over the place ? - 1/3/2022 10:56:12 PM   
BeirutDude

It's jumping around because you only have a satellite fix on it at the periphery of the Satellite's imaging area. Remember with the curvature of the Earth you're looking at it obliquely and there are huge parallax errors.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 8
RE: Why is this contact jumping all over the place ? - 1/4/2022 7:14:18 AM   
nukkxx5058

I was suspecting something linked with the satellites.

Now, there's something more than odd about this particular satellite (the one detecting the jumping contact) and a few others. It's its altitude: 35.000 km !!! Which is far from earth orbit, in deep space. It should be 350 km IMO.

About half the satellites are located at such crazy altitude while other sats are located at more normal altitude (350-800 km distance)

And some contacts (including the jumping one) are detected by satellites navigating very far from the action (like above Africa in my case) which can be explained just by the wrong altitude, because of the earth curvature, as you said. If a satellite is flying at 350km altitude above Africa, I think (without doing the math) it can't detect action near Vietnam. But if it's flying at 35.000km, which is the case, then it's another story. No ?
See altitude in the picture below

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by nukkxx5058 -- 1/4/2022 7:15:31 AM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 9
RE: Why is this contact jumping all over the place ? - 1/4/2022 7:24:56 AM   
Kushan04

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx5058
Now, there's something more than odd about this particular satellite (the one detecting the jumping contact) and a few others. It's its altitude: 35.000 km !!! Which is far from earth orbit, in deep space. It should be 350 km IMO.

And you would be in correct. Looking at USA 105 and USA 118 you will notice they are at around 35,000 km.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 10
RE: Why is this contact jumping all over the place ? - 1/4/2022 7:55:23 AM   
AKar

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx5058

It's its altitude: 35.000 km !!! Which is far from earth orbit, in deep space. It should be 350 km IMO.

35'786 km or thereabouts - also known as geostationary orbit.

< Message edited by AKar -- 1/4/2022 7:56:18 AM >

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 11
RE: Why is this contact jumping all over the place ? - 1/4/2022 8:04:47 AM   
nukkxx5058

OK. I just learned something. I didn't realize that geostationary satellites were flying that high.
So does it explain the jumping contact issue ?

quote:

Altitude classifications for geocentric orbits
Low Earth orbit (LEO): geocentric orbits with altitudes below 2,000 km (1,200 mi).[3]
Medium Earth orbit (MEO): geocentric orbits ranging in altitude from 2,000 km (1,200 mi) to just below geosynchronous orbit at 35,786 kilometers (22,236 mi). Also known as an intermediate circular orbit. These are used for Global Navigation Satellite System spacecraft, such as GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, BeiDou. GPS satellites orbits at the height of 20,200 kilometers (12,600 mi) with an orbital period of almost 12 hours.[4]
Geosynchronous orbit (GSO) and geostationary orbit (GEO) are orbits around Earth matching Earth's sidereal rotation period. Although terms are often used interchangeably, technically a geosynchronous orbit matches the Earth's rotational period, but the definition does not require it to have zero orbital inclination to the equator, and thus is not stationary above a given point on the equator, but may oscillate north and south during the course of a day. Thus, a geostationary orbit is defined as a geosynchronous orbit at zero inclination. Geosynchronous (and geostationary) orbits have a semi-major axis of 42,164 km (26,199 mi).[5] This works out to an altitude of 35,786 km (22,236 mi). Both complete one full orbit of Earth per sidereal day (relative to the stars, not the Sun).

(in reply to Kushan04)
Post #: 12
RE: Why is this contact jumping all over the place ? - 1/5/2022 7:23:40 AM   
nukkxx5058

In fact it would be good to be able to disable the info from the satellite about the jumping contact. Because it brings no added value at all and spams the signal received from other sensors.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Why is this contact jumping all over the place ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI