Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wine/Linux Testing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Wine/Linux Testing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wine/Linux Testing - 1/5/2022 5:45:33 AM   
moggers

Has there been any testing of the game in wine? I imagine first party there's been zilch since it sounds like the devs are very windows-centric, but I'm hoping someone in the beta has been giving it a go to see if there are any easy-to-fix showstoppers.

DW1 was notorious for its engine, so I hope that it Just Works with the new engine being "modern", but it'd be nice if this could be checked ahead of release.

< Message edited by moggers -- 1/5/2022 5:46:02 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Wine/Linux Testing - 1/6/2022 3:02:45 AM   
makotech222

Stride engine should compile to linux fine, since its on dotNET6 now I think, though, I don't know how much the dev team here has forked off and never rebased.

(in reply to moggers)
Post #: 2
RE: Wine/Linux Testing - 1/6/2022 1:59:00 PM   
deMangler

There was a post somewhere where they were asking for people to test DW2 under linux during beta. That was the main reason I applied, but I didn't make it in sadly.
It is indeed a good sign that they are using Stride.
Personally I plan to go all out getting it to work on linux once it is released.
Every game I play I can now run in linux, so I don't have a native windows install any more.... apart from DW1.... I have to run DW1 in a windows 7 VM, and that failure has always niggled me. I won't give up with DW2.

*edit* found it...
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4737033&mpage=15&key=linux&#

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

DW2 is only planned as a Windows release, unfortunately. The engine does not have the ability to run natively on Linux. I don't know how well it will run in emulation on Linux or Mac, but we'll find out before release and testers who have both Windows and Linux/Mac systems to give that a try during beta would be appreciated.

< Message edited by deMangler -- 1/6/2022 2:03:19 PM >

(in reply to makotech222)
Post #: 3
RE: Wine/Linux Testing - 1/6/2022 5:11:30 PM   
Cauldyth

Well, I have a Linux box, and also a new Mac M1 with CrossOver installed. Unfortunately, I don't have the beta!

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 4
RE: Wine/Linux Testing - 1/7/2022 2:10:44 AM   
makotech222

Thats too bad, they must have forked from Xenko days then, which will probably run on dotnet framework and probably mono in linux.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 5
RE: Wine/Linux Testing - 2/7/2022 4:42:44 PM   
deMangler

On a slightly related note, GeForce Now free tier is something I find myself using more and more lately, enabling me to play some pretty demanding steam games on even my little chrome-book as well as saving my linux gaming laptop from roaring-fan syndrome.
Although I plan to buy DW2 from Matrix directly - if I get a steam key then it will be possible to play it on GeForce Now if it is enabled by the developer.
Apparently it is pretty simple to enable for a Steam game so I really hope that it is done for DW2
I am not trying to detract from linux support. I am pretty sure now with steam-deck compatibility requirements being what they are, that this game working on linux is almost a foregone conclusion.
Just a thought though.

(in reply to makotech222)
Post #: 6
RE: Wine/Linux Testing - 2/7/2022 4:45:57 PM   
Erik Rutins

As far as I know DW2 will be on GeForce Now.

While Linux is not officially supported, we'll do what we can to help the Linux community get DW2 working, it just will have to be a lower priority compared to addressing issues on supported OSes. Personally, I'd like to play DW2 on Linux as well.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 7
RE: Wine/Linux Testing - 2/7/2022 4:49:47 PM   
deMangler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

As far as I know DW2 will be on GeForce Now.

While Linux is not officially supported, we'll do what we can to help the Linux community get DW2 working, it just will have to be a lower priority compared to addressing issues on supported OSes. Personally, I'd like to play DW2 on Linux as well.

Regards,

- Erik

You just made my day!
:)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
RE: Wine/Linux Testing - 2/7/2022 5:05:03 PM   
zgrssd

A little something about cross platform and .NET:

A it's core, .NET is a interpreter. A runtime. That is actually pretty similar in executeable design to Java (they obviously copied, but actually managed to improove on it to a large degree).

Cross Platform has always been a goal of .NET.
In the ".NET Framework", it was unmitigated disaster. It never worked. The framework grew way to big, way to fast to have any hope of having the full runtime on any other OS.

In the age of the ".NET Framework", your best hope of Platform independance was to target the MONO runtime and work with all the issue that brought.

Also changing the .NET Runtime you target with any programm is the opposite of "trivial". "If you ever go that path, forever will it dominate your destiny".

.NET Core is different. It is a curated subset of things from the Framework that actually worked. It has official runtimes for Linux and MacOS.

Stride can be compiled targetting the .NET Core or .NET Framework. If they have choosen Core at day one or early around it, there is a chance it already runs on Linux and MacOS. Not a big chance. There is still like a billion reasons why this might fail without a Emulator (just the filesystem design differences). But at least the chances are better then the Frameworks 0%.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 2/7/2022 5:06:22 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 9
RE: Wine/Linux Testing - 2/18/2022 2:25:07 AM   
Acidpunk

As long as the game works with proton unlike the first game that would be enough.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Wine/Linux Testing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote