Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Back after 8 years

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Back after 8 years Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Back after 8 years - 11/24/2021 7:38:45 AM   
abulbulian

Getting back to WitP after about 8 years. I did a little research and have install and used the following

- installed v1.00.79
- updated to v1.01.26a official patch
- updated again to v1.01.26b unofficial patch
- Seebea install/config tool

Now I'm looking for a good map mod. I think one of the tutorial videos mentioned a 'kamakazi' map mod? Can somebody please link me to some decent map mods?

thanks

- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha/Beta Tester WitW and WitE2

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
Post #: 1
RE: Back after 8 years - 11/24/2021 8:45:01 AM   
Ian R

Welcome back.

For map mods, do you want the extended map ones, or are you talking about the differently "painted" standard maps?

There are quite a few here:

https://witpae-mod-page.webnode.cz/

< Message edited by Ian R -- 11/24/2021 9:36:46 AM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 2
RE: Back after 8 years - 11/24/2021 9:18:48 AM   
OnWargaming

Ian R, I think the second link is related to the previous game.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 3
RE: Back after 8 years - 11/24/2021 9:20:36 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: OnWargaming

Ian R, I think the second link is related to the previous game.

Yes. And I am surprised that the site still exists. I haven't tended it for many years.

(in reply to OnWargaming)
Post #: 4
RE: Back after 8 years - 11/24/2021 9:36:26 AM   
Ian R

My bad, deleted.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 5
RE: Back after 8 years - 11/24/2021 10:48:09 AM   
HansBolter

In fairness, the OP did reference the original game.

Hans

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 6
RE: Back after 8 years - 11/24/2021 7:22:32 PM   
abulbulian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Welcome back.

For map mods, do you want the extended map ones, or are you talking about the differently "painted" standard maps?

mostly just better eye-candy, but have found some post mentioning maps with some minor fixes. Since that replaces the pwhexe.dat file, I think both players would have to have it in a PBEM game to avoid glitches?

- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha/Beta Tester WitW and WitE2

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 7
RE: Back after 8 years - 11/24/2021 8:39:28 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Welcome back.

mostly just better eye-candy, but have found some post mentioning maps with some minor fixes. Since that replaces the pwhexe.dat file, I think both players would have to have it in a PBEM game to avoid glitches?

Yes that is correct.

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 8
RE: Back after 8 years - 11/24/2021 8:47:38 PM   
Moltrey

quote:

Now I'm looking for a good map mod. I think one of the tutorial videos mentioned a 'kamakazi' map mod? Can somebody please link me to some decent map mods?

thanks

Abulbulian:
I have taken a liking to Skacee's new modification of ChemKid's old maps.
You can find it under Scenarios and Mods/New Rich info map UPDATED

He offers a standard and extended version in two different styles. He recently moved so has been away from work on it, but says updates are coming in the near future.

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 9
RE: Back after 8 years - 11/25/2021 9:30:16 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moltrey

quote:

thanks

Abulbulian:

He offers a standard and extended version in two different styles. He recently moved so has been away from work on it, but says updates are coming in the near future.

Just a word of caution - the Extended Map was designed for the Da Big Babes modded scenarios. It will not work with stock scenarios in slots 1-25 that come with the game. You can opt for the "stacking limits everywhere" (but not extended) map without issues.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 10
RE: Back after 8 years - 11/27/2021 6:07:01 PM   
Moltrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moltrey

quote:

thanks

Abulbulian:

Just a word of caution - the Extended Map was designed for the Da Big Babes modded scenarios. It will not work with stock scenarios in slots 1-25 that come with the game. You can opt for the "stacking limits everywhere" (but not extended) map without issues.

Ooohh... good to know BB, I didn't realize that fact. Thanks.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/6/2022 7:26:32 PM   
derwho

I'm also back since a lot of years and I'm surprised how much catching up I have.

Imperial Field Service Code (senjinkun):
"Remember always the good reputation of your family and the opinion of people of your birthplace. Do not shame yourself by being taken prisoner alive; die so as to not leave behind a soiled name."

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 12
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/6/2022 7:41:58 PM   
the1henson

Honestly, this game should just be titled “Learning Curve.” Every day I read this forum, I learn some new detail about the rich tapestry of this game.

(in reply to derwho)
Post #: 13
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/7/2022 10:27:34 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Veterans use to caution newbies about the "learning cliff"

(in reply to the1henson)
Post #: 14
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/7/2022 10:52:18 AM   
Sardaukar

Yea, no learning curve in this game...it's all cliff..after cliff...

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 15
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/7/2022 11:04:09 AM   
btd64

After cliff, after cliff....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 16
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/7/2022 11:04:28 AM   
Zovs

It as any hiker will tell you (wink wink) each climbs hill, scaled cliff, hiked mountain when you reach the peak the view is breathtaking and the sense of mastery of that hill, cliff or mountains is well worth the effort and alas so is our beloved WITP-AE masterpiece!

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 17
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/7/2022 11:33:10 AM   
Sardaukar

I started to play Pacific War ages ago, I think original WitP came out 2004 and WitP-AE 2009. And I still find new things in game.

Plus it hot me to buy quite a few Pacific War books...

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 18
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/7/2022 1:02:44 PM   
the1henson

I’m trying to learn Japan right now to start a PBEM someday and the attention to detail required on day one is just extraordinary. Having played the earth tones in the past, you can sorta wing it for a while and find ways to disrupt the pacing of expansion (at start). As the red guys, you have to set the pace. No reacting allowed.

I’m a program manager by trade, and I think this may be more mentally taxing than my actual projects. I kinda love it.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 19
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/7/2022 1:06:32 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

I started to play Pacific War ages ago, I think original WitP came out 2004 and WitP-AE 2009. And I still find new things in game.

Plus it hot me to buy quite a few Pacific War books...

Looking back on that timeline, I recall that I had just reached a sufficient confidence level with WITP to start trying to learn to play the Japanese side when AE was released.

I had just started my first game as the Japanese and dropped it to start playing the new updated, upgraded and expanded behemoth, learning the game again by playing the Allied side.

Thirteen years later and I have not yet started trying to learn the Japanese side again.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 1/7/2022 1:07:06 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 20
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/7/2022 3:34:46 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: the1henson

I’m trying to learn Japan right now to start a PBEM someday and the attention to detail required on day one is just extraordinary. Having played the earth tones in the past, you can sorta wing it for a while and find ways to disrupt the pacing of expansion (at start). As the red guys, you have to set the pace. No reacting allowed.

I’m a program manager by trade, and I think this may be more mentally taxing than my actual projects. I kinda love it.

You are correct that the Japanese must set and sustain a blistering pace before their landing bonus runs on on April 1, 1942.
But while you are dealing with the short-term tactical and operational problems of the expansion, you must also set up the economy for the long term run of the game - everything from deciding which aircraft you want most, which ships you need, and how much supply you must produce.

Fortunately there are some very good guides created by Japanese side players to picture how the economy operates and the plane manufacturing guide. I haven't bookmarked these because the Japanese side is a bit too much detail for my taste, but I am sure if you ask for info you can get a lot of references from the denizens of the forum.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to the1henson)
Post #: 21
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/7/2022 4:26:02 PM   
Sardaukar

Problem with playing Japan is that early mistakes can cost you way more dearly than mistakes done as Allies. Some major mistakes can really ruin your game, especially when it comes to carriers. Also, some economical mistakes and failure to capture enough oil can send your production to crash.

Thus, I recommend new players start as Allies, getting hang on game dynamics and system. When having bit of experience how system works, then Japan is viable side.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 22
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/7/2022 5:38:31 PM   
the1henson

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: the1henson

You are correct that the Japanese must set and sustain a blistering pace before their landing bonus runs on on April 1, 1942.
But while you are dealing with the short-term tactical and operational problems of the expansion, you must also set up the economy for the long term run of the game - everything from deciding which aircraft you want most, which ships you need, and how much supply you must produce.

Fortunately there are some very good guides created by Japanese side players to picture how the economy operates and the plane manufacturing guide. I haven't bookmarked these because the Japanese side is a bit too much detail for my taste, but I am sure if you ask for info you can get a lot of references from the denizens of the forum.

True words. Were it not for this forum I would open Japan, look around for a couple of minutes, and walk straight back to the green team, whistling...

I do suspect that my time wrestling with Japan has made me a better Allied player, but don't have any data for that.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 23
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/7/2022 8:15:45 PM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Veterans use to caution newbies about the "learning cliff"

With no bloody warning signs, caution indicators, or "You'll be sorrrry!" memes either!

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 24
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/7/2022 8:36:10 PM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

AHA! Another victim.
As a now a retired pastor and former English teacher, which means I have a multitude of boxes of books (and games!!!) occupying the southern wall of my 'study! I can play more often - unless Mama wants to go somewhere. Most of the stack is 2 deep. Some where in the midst of this avalanche of boxes is the one box which includes my game purchase discs. I really doubt if the Pacific War desk would even be recognized as some attempt at a cyber game.... but IT IS THERE somewhere.
Just for grins...

My best friend from way back in Junior College (that equals almost 50 years and before PC gaming, or PC's for that matter - we still had to learn how to sit and produce punch cards for simple programs!) Back on track!! We had the Pacific War game you set up in the basement which took 2 sheets of plywood and some really long arms to play. And we had to kitty proof the room or we would find that some of the units had been translated off the earth and onto the floor! We played on and off for 12 years before the PC games came out, by which time I had gone a state away to seminary, and he was a dept mgr at home depot. We are trying to figure out how to work the game between his Mac and my PC. Not sure it will work. Yoiks, and away!!!!

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 25
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/7/2022 9:08:36 PM   
BBfanboy

You should be able to play the game if he uses a Windows for Mac program like Parallels, then starts the game in that window.
As long as the Parallels app creates a Windows standard file system, you should be able to exchange files.

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 26
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/8/2022 12:19:11 AM   
Zovs

Just for reference, my host machine is an iMac, 40 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 6 cores. I use VMWare and created a Win 10 VM, with 16 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, and 4 cores. Got WITP-AE, WITE2, WITW, DG CWIE2, SPWW2 and SPMBT plus 50-70 JTS/WDS games installed and everything is lovely.

< Message edited by Zovs -- 1/8/2022 12:20:46 AM >

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 27
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/8/2022 1:18:53 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Just for reference, my host machine is an iMac, 40 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 6 cores. I use VMWare and created a Win 10 VM, with 16 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, and 4 cores. Got WITP-AE, WITE2, WITW, DG CWIE2, SPWW2 and SPMBT plus 50-70 JTS/WDS games installed and everything is lovely.

That is a beast! I am unsure if Apple's new CPU will run Parallels (which would have been designed to run with Intel CPUs). Apple may have done a different version of Parallels for its new chip, but I don't know one way or the other.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 28
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/8/2022 1:49:17 PM   
Zovs

My Mac is an intell chip, 2019 model.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 29
RE: Back after 8 years - 1/8/2022 3:55:34 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

It as any hiker will tell you (wink wink) each climbs hill, scaled cliff, hiked mountain when you reach the peak the view is breathtaking and the sense of mastery of that hill, cliff or mountains is well worth the effort and alas so is our beloved WITP-AE masterpiece!

DAT's right! The Agony, Misery, and Heartbreak are all worth it! You look back down and you see all of those poor sods struggling to make it to the top, you feel a sense of elation, then you realize just how much farther that you have to go and your "dogs" just start barking!

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Back after 8 years Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI