Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Artillery obliterating infantry

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Artillery obliterating infantry Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Artillery obliterating infantry - 1/6/2022 4:54:52 PM   
RCHarmon

Have the game for a week now and I like it a lot. I have all the series and really thinks the mechanics are the best out there.

One thing that I have seen, and it surprised me a bit, but you can take an infantry regiment from power 40 to power 6 in two turns. I played my son in a game and saw this. Usually you max out with artillery and anything extra added after that doesn't have much effect, but not with this new game? The infantry was fully dug in.
Post #: 1
RE: Artillery obliterating infantry - 1/6/2022 7:06:24 PM   
Capt Cliff

This don't sound right. Catching infantry out in the open is one thing but dug in?? Was this German infantry vs USA Arty? The US released the use of proximity fused arty shell for air burst affect during the Bulge. An attack by 12th SS PZ was destroyed by proximity fuse arty.

< Message edited by Capt Cliff -- 1/6/2022 7:07:39 PM >

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to RCHarmon)
Post #: 2
RE: Artillery obliterating infantry - 1/6/2022 7:45:22 PM   
Jagger2002

I am guessing in the open. Concentrated artillery is very powerful as it should be but try hitting units in the west wall or dug in in heavy forest. I have been reading some very detailed books on WW2 operations and the reliance on artillery by the allies is clear. Same with the Germans but their use of artillery was not on the scale of the allies. Without artillery, it is very tough attacking dug-in infantry in defensive terrain in game.

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 3
RE: Artillery obliterating infantry - 1/6/2022 10:17:04 PM   
carll11

The only way the out gunned german arty can equalize is using a werfer battery first, alone, then, hitting with your gun arty.

As far as the original comment, sure, inf. in the open, even if dug in lose the entrenchment value as the arty obliterates it, so in 2 turns sure, your inf. can get ground down in anything but heavy forest or a class II city or above.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 4
RE: Artillery obliterating infantry - 1/6/2022 11:11:49 PM   
vege1

quote:

ORIGINAL: carll11

The only way the out gunned german arty can equalize is using a werfer battery first, alone, then, hitting with your gun arty.

Why werfers first? I have been using arty to lower entrenchment and then using werfers. Should I be using them the other way around?

My initial thought was that werfers are not as good in taking down entrenchments and they are a less precise weapon system. So, do you use werfers to lower entrenchment and then use arty to get the job done?

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 5
RE: Artillery obliterating infantry - 1/10/2022 5:58:38 PM   
carll11

I have tried it both ways, it seems to me that I get more damage on a unit after I werfer it first, alone, then pound with guns arty.
Its weird, but you wont see the entrenchment value go down but your unit will have an easier time attacking than if you did with gun arty first. 🤷‍♂️

(in reply to vege1)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Artillery obliterating infantry Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI