Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeking Crossroads)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> After Action Report >> AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeking Crossroads) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeking C... - 1/8/2022 6:31:06 PM   
Big Ivan

Crossroads and I are going to do a little AAR for you Campaign Series players using the soon to be released Campaign Series Vietnam.

The title of the scenario is By the Belt - Battle of Landing Zone Albany. I'll be playing the USA side and Crossroads will be the NVA side.

For this scenario we have Fog of War in effect. There is no advantage, and all Optional Rules are on except Variable Visibility.

My mission as the Americans is to secure LZ Albany then conduct a sweep of the surrounding area to clear it of any NVA that may be present. Basically, the NVA are going to try and stop me. I have generous ground forces in place and artillery fire support from Fire Support Base Falcon to the west. I also can get some reinforcements later on in the form of helos and gunships.

Attached screenshot is the end of my Turn 1. North is to the top.

Attachment (1)

Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
Post #: 1
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/8/2022 7:27:54 PM   
devoncop

Great stuff.

I have been waiting for a good AAR !

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 2
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/10/2022 2:27:31 PM   
Big Ivan

Screenshot end my Turn 2.

I managed to get a couple of recon units into the LZ Albany hex. I took some fire from the "white" squared hex (39,23) but it was ineffective. The bulk of my ground forces continue to move towards LZ Albany. It's the waiting game now I guess to see what NVA forces show themselves. I decided not to target any artillery this turn waiting for the real fray to begin.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Big Ivan -- 1/10/2022 2:28:15 PM >

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 3
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/13/2022 12:58:01 AM   
Big Ivan

Screenshot end of my Turn 3.

The (yellow arrow) denotes where I did an assault with one of infantry platoons. Whatever was there I took it out. It was 2 strength points worth 6 victory points via the victory status screen. Don't know the exact type of NVA unit due to enhanced reporting but I suspect it was probably a reconnaissance unit or other light infantry unit.

The (red lines to the north top middle) of LZ Albany denoted in the shot is where I suspect the NVA to be concentrated at. Unfortunately, to the south I have no idea or intelligence as to what the hell is there. I'm banking on it being empty of NVA units, but I've been wrong before! Time will tell, I guess.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 4
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/15/2022 2:25:13 PM   
Big Ivan

Screenshot end of my Turn 4.

Ouch! Lost a recon unit in the hex indicated by (yellow arrow) by assault. Seems the NVA are right in front of me but unseen. Time to plot one battery of 105mm right in front of me. Perhaps someone will walk into it. A long shot most likely...LOL!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 5
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/16/2022 5:37:20 PM   
Big Ivan

Screenshot end of my Turn 5.

Well as one can see from the screenshot, NVA across my whole front and in force. Exchanged some fire with them strength point losses on both sides. Time for some artillery concentrations in my next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 6
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/16/2022 5:53:42 PM   
benpark

Could you write a bit about how the new contacts were revealed in turn 5? I can't recall if spotting checks are made each turn, but I was wondering if the NVA are no longer in FoW due to fire, movement, or some other recon calculation between turns.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 7
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/16/2022 5:55:52 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

Could you write a bit about how the new contacts were revealed in turn 5? I can't recall if spotting checks are made each turn, but I was wondering if the NVA are no longer in FoW due to fire, movement, or some other recon calculation between turns.

Yes indeed, there is a spotting check at the beginning of each turn.

With the new FOW, just because you saw them last turn (even when next to you), doesn't mean you will spot them this turn.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 8
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/18/2022 11:58:35 AM   
BletchleyGeek

Is there an option for having on map counters for old contacts that are no longer being spotted? That could be useful, otherwise the new system may feel like playing a hard game of "Memory".

What were the insights on the new FOW mechanics during playtesting?

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 9
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/18/2022 5:22:56 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: BletchleyGeek

Is there an option for having on map counters for old contacts that are no longer being spotted? That could be useful, otherwise the new system may feel like playing a hard game of "Memory".

You could try turning the Enhanced Spotting Optional Rule off, that would reduce the amount of hidden units.

Try the default settings at first though, it might not be as bad as you think.

quote:

What were the insights on the new FOW mechanics during playtesting?

As far as I know, the testers became quite adapted to the new FOW and didn't find it overwhelming. At least I didn't see any complaints about it.

(in reply to BletchleyGeek)
Post #: 10
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/18/2022 5:34:17 PM   
Big Ivan

What I liked about it (the new engine and enhanced spotting) was right off the cuff, the fear of the unknown!

I knew the enemy was out there, I suspected as to where, but I couldn't see them all the time. They would then pop in and out of my view. This was especially true in my playtests of night scenarios.

I would be playing along fat dumb and happy. Then all of the sudden the enemy is there in front of you, behind you and taking direct shots or assaulting. Quite a different experience in game play!

Post #: 11
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/18/2022 6:00:10 PM   
comte

I like what I am hearing about the new FOW. I expect a Vietnam title to have limited visibility as a plus especially in rough terrain.
I am really excited for this title.

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 12
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/18/2022 6:04:55 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: comte

I like what I am hearing about the new FOW. I expect a Vietnam title to have limited visibility as a plus especially in rough terrain.
I am really excited for this title.

It really is a different feel when you're playing. A lot of unknowns, a lot of nerve wracking... but all in good ways!

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as we do!

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 13
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/18/2022 6:27:22 PM   
BletchleyGeek

Thanks for the answers guys, looking forward to figure it out myself.

I have been following the CS Legion blog posts for years, and I really enjoyed CSME. So I am excited to see how all that research translates into a game :)

Post #: 14
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/18/2022 6:34:20 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

I have been following the CS Legion blog posts for years, and I really enjoyed CSME. So I am excited to see how all that research translates into a game :)

Thank you for following the blog!! That's great to hear that it isn't all for naught! Haha!

Post #: 15
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/18/2022 6:42:29 PM   
devoncop

Well less than 48 hours to go until release and I can only imagine how Jason and the other guys involved feel seeing the project finally released after so many years work. I guess a mixture of pride, hope, relief and trepidation but from my point of view as an imminent consumer I can say it is with huge excitement.

So no Jason.....it has not been "for naught"

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

Post #: 16
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/18/2022 6:44:00 PM   
Jason Petho

It's a balance between excitement and being terrified...

Thinking positive and curious to see the reactions.

Yay for not being for naught though! hahah

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 17
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/18/2022 6:58:12 PM   
Twotribes

I will have to either wait till February or use a credit card I am trying not to use )

Post #: 18
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/18/2022 7:01:19 PM   
Jason Petho

That will give you some time to watch the videos and get a grasp of the game so you can be prepared!

Positive vibes!

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 19
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/18/2022 10:30:07 PM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho
Thank you for following the blog!! That's great to hear that it isn't all for naught! Haha!

And thanks to everyone involved in bringing those posts along. The Uncle Ho's and Bruno's Bunker series particularly stuck with me

FWIW, I am finding some trouble interacting Matrix Games forums site... just got a couple of 500 Internal Error messages while trying to reply.

Post #: 20
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/19/2022 12:20:38 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

FWIW, I am finding some trouble interacting Matrix Games forums site... just got a couple of 500 Internal Error messages while trying to reply.

Alas, yes, I get those as well.

I'm hoping when the switch to the new forum host, that stops.

Post #: 21
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/19/2022 1:13:24 AM   
Big Ivan

I hope all you gentlemen who chimed in on this post enjoy playing CS-Vietnam as much as I did testing the game.

It's truly awesome! Cool game hands down!!

Post #: 22
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/19/2022 2:21:05 PM   
Big Ivan

Screenshot end of my Turn 6.

Well darn it! I lost a leader and 2 infantry platoons to an NVA assault (that will leave a mark!). Also, most of my artillery hit nothing except empty jungle. At least I assume it was empty.
My gunships and Sioux recon ships were released so they are currently in bound. Should be close to Albany next turn. They are flying in at low level.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 23
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/19/2022 3:04:18 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big Ivan

Well darn it! I lost a leader and 2 infantry platoons to an NVA assault (that will leave a mark!).

Apart from bad luck (bad die roll), this catastrophe maybe happened because your opponent was somehow able to surround and flank (but not quite encircle) your stack. As you know, there are now significant assault bonuses to flanking (and encircling). Protect your flanks! (And your rear!) If possible, Dig In!

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 24
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/19/2022 3:24:53 PM   
berto

Don't forget to set your standalone recon units to Weak Defend!

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 25
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/19/2022 5:44:47 PM   
devoncop

Good tips from berto their ....I am making notes

Re your comments Ivan it is great to hear you are enjoying the game so much....only 24 hours to go for us mere mortals before we get to jump in ourselves....it feels like Christmas Eve when I was a kid !

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 26
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/19/2022 6:44:02 PM   
Big Ivan

quote:

ORIGINAL: devoncop

Good tips from berto their ....I am making notes

Re your comments Ivan it is great to hear you are enjoying the game so much....only 24 hours to go for us mere mortals before we get to jump in ourselves....it feels like Christmas Eve when I was a kid !

You are going to like it devoncop, it's a fun game to play!

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 27
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/19/2022 8:38:29 PM   
Twotribes

I bought the ME one and am intimidated by the interface.

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 28
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/19/2022 8:59:26 PM   
Jason Petho

CSME will be updated to 3.00 to bring it up to the same standards as CS Vietnam.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 29
RE: AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeki... - 1/20/2022 4:09:36 PM   
Big Ivan

Screenshot end of my Turn 7.

Kind of a quiet turn and that scares me. My artillery did cause some damage but minimal I believe. My Scout ships and gunships did arrive in the vicinity off to the right of the screenshot. I'll have to press them into service next turn. Artillery plotted along my whole front again. Hopefully I hit something.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Big Ivan -- 1/20/2022 5:58:20 PM >

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> After Action Report >> AAR By The Belt-LZ Albany Big Ivan as USA (No peeking Crossroads) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI