Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is bad, random starts just the norm?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> War Room >> Is bad, random starts just the norm? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is bad, random starts just the norm? - 1/9/2022 10:31:34 PM   
LCcmdr

First, I'm over 90 hours into the game and still stagnating by 80 or so turns.
Second, I'm playing on the easiest settings--but letting the generator choose all but the planet type.
Third, I've just been shut down in my last two games by a starting city with zones that have massive penalties...

Is this just normal?

And, yes, I truly trying to learn how to play.
Post #: 1
RE: Is bad, random starts just the norm? - 1/10/2022 1:16:30 AM   
zgrssd

1. Hard to say, as you do not give us a lot to go on.
2. It can help to select the planet type. But generaly for early game you want unbreathable atmosphere. Environmental Suits are only equipped on troops that need them, but at least for now it is the best armor you can get early on (without needing a design council).
3. What do you mean "zones with massive penalties"? Radiation? If so, what level? Agressive Wildlife? Hostile neigbours? Neighbours whose borders you can not secure? Did you start with enough food and water production? What are your starting tech settings? Starting Councils? How many Optional Story packs are enabeled?

(in reply to LCcmdr)
Post #: 2
RE: Is bad, random starts just the norm? - 1/10/2022 12:26:56 PM   
LCcmdr

Good start: fields not bio-domes; non-aligned terrritory imemediately around my start with several minors (but enough wiggle room to grow stronger before engaging the traders or other minors; and most importantly, a road system already in existence without mountains to have to build roads through.
Versus, a bad start: no wiggle room, surrounded by minors on every side (including tough aliens and traders), set near marshes or mountains that make building roads (because none exist) so much more expensive that I struggle to last long enough to just get owned.

And, the random events generator just sucks my credits dry with demands, as well as creating continual strife--that can be resolved with lots of credits (that I've spent on machines, troops, and construction). Then, when my governor and a few councilors get peeved, penalties lower food and credits, which angers workers...and this spiral repeats.

I've read every guide (several times) and watched numerous "how to" guides. My biggest question is this, what are you guys doing that works so differently than from what I'm doing.

I choose only Siwa class, with as few mountains or oceans (mostly prefer plains) possible. No toxic or adverse environments--I'll save those for later.

My Council choices: EC, Interior (if not overwhelmed by hostile units) vs. Model Design (if I've got hostiles), followed typically be military, then staff. I prefer applied science next; but by then the game is mostly lost....

AS to massive penalties: marshes, mountains, and other such hard-to-reach factors, yield lower quotas than what is stated. So, I build a lvl 2 Bio food, expecting to get 500 food but receive less--so much so that my economy crashes before I can build more; because, bad leader morale coupled with poor worker morale has bled my coffers dry. Argh, this game is harsh.

let me know whatever else you need to get me going better....

and thanks

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: Is bad, random starts just the norm? - 1/10/2022 1:22:31 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

Good start: fields not bio-domes; non-aligned terrritory imemediately around my start with several minors (but enough wiggle room to grow stronger before engaging the traders or other minors; and most importantly, a road system already in existence without mountains to have to build roads through.

Open Fields can be advantageous - if you got free water and the seasonal temperatures are not too variable. But in those conditions, both are also totally worthless for the traders.

Open Farming also terraforms the terrain around into farmland, making it somewhat more defensible - for both sides.
Domes have the advantage that they are reliable and fit into the city itself. So, pretty hard to disrupt.

Also since you got open farms, very likely your troops lacked the Environmental suits - which are T1 Armor.

Road system is nice for supply, as the minors generally do not follow supply rules.

quote:

Versus, a bad start: no wiggle room, surrounded by minors on every side (including tough aliens and traders), set near marshes or mountains that make building roads (because none exist) so much more expensive that I struggle to last long enough to just get owned.

Every terrain that is hard to build roads through, tends to be a realy good defensive position for infantry. If they have time to entrench. Do not try to dislodge Entrenched Infantry in Ruin hexes, unless you got light tanks or a 6 sided concentric bonus with a single formation.

quote:

And, the random events generator just sucks my credits dry with demands, as well as creating continual strife--that can be resolved with lots of credits (that I've spent on machines, troops, and construction). Then, when my governor and a few councilors get peeved, penalties lower food and credits, which angers workers...and this spiral repeats.

Increase the Taxes to 30-50% income, depending on difficulty. Maybe add 1 level of Sales Tax. But be carefull, this can limit the growth of hte Private Economy quite a lot.
Cut the Soldier Recruitment Bonus and Salary to 0. On decent loyalty, I never needed it.
You can try to carefully reduce the worker Salary, to save some money on them. The relationship to Privat Economy Salary and the Tax rate mater for how happy they are with what they pay. If you got issues filling all jobs, you might be too low. Usually safer is to set overproducing industries down to 50 or 25%. No reason to pay more workers then you need. Especially if what htey produce can at best be sold at dumping prices.

Rare Metals are worth a lot to sell to trader and you need very little early game. 5+/unit is not a uncommon price. You want to wait a bit until you have some stored so you can sell in bulk for a good price. But not wait so long, that sales from another Zone dropped the trader prices. It is a balancing act. This is the money you use for events.

Not much to do against Strong Aliens, that figure out how to counter them. This depends a lot on their specific abilities and overall combat values (which are already worked into those abilities). Some can only be hurt by hard attack, which drastically increases their survivability. However, keep in mind that the AI might overvalue your entrenched infantry and not attack, even if they should be able too.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 1/10/2022 1:23:30 PM >

(in reply to LCcmdr)
Post #: 4
RE: Is bad, random starts just the norm? - 1/11/2022 1:44:18 AM   
LCcmdr

Just endured another humiliation...

Great start but bad start! My intel indicated only minor regimes but with plenty of non-aligned territory to gobble up on the way to those relatively close. Bad news: not long into the game, I realize the initial intel was wrong. Two major regimes border the limits of the non-aligned territory. Unfortunately, I've not selected foreign council and get nothing to use, card wise. Having focused on democracy rather than meritocracy, my cash is the best ever. All my council is very pleased with me--with two stellar exceptions: 1) Supreme Council leader and secretary. I'm able to get rid of one but not the other. The remaining one leads a coup and I'm forced to resign.

Ain't this game great, or what?!

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 5
RE: Is bad, random starts just the norm? - 1/11/2022 7:32:56 PM   
pauls2271

quote:

Unfortunately, I've not selected foreign council and get nothing to use, card wise

You do know that you can create councils at any time?

quote:

The remaining one leads a coup and I'm forced to resign.

Hmm, I've had rebels (lead by a low morale leader) many times but never a coup.

It's why my first unit is always a MG unit I rename "Garrison" and stick in the capital city. I lost one game to rebels that started next to my capital and moved in immediately.

(in reply to LCcmdr)
Post #: 6
RE: Is bad, random starts just the norm? - 1/11/2022 11:52:32 PM   
LCcmdr

how do I create councils before allowed by the game progress?

(in reply to pauls2271)
Post #: 7
RE: Is bad, random starts just the norm? - 1/12/2022 12:52:15 AM   
flamedeluge

quote:

ORIGINAL: LCcmdr

how do I create councils before allowed by the game progress?

Call your secretary and mash "New Organization." Costs a bit more PP, so make sure you have enough.

(in reply to LCcmdr)
Post #: 8
RE: Is bad, random starts just the norm? - 1/13/2022 12:48:08 PM   
LCcmdr

This really helps. Thanks.

Now, are there reasons not to add new orgs as quickly as I have PP for?

(in reply to flamedeluge)
Post #: 9
RE: Is bad, random starts just the norm? - 1/13/2022 2:44:35 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: LCcmdr

This really helps. Thanks.

Now, are there reasons not to add new orgs as quickly as I have PP for?

It splits tbe BP more, meaning each Council will bring less. However, keep in mind that most council tasks have a soft-cap of about 100 BP/task. That is latest when you want a new one.

Factions want a "share" on all the council spots.
More leaders to manage, pay, etc.
More leaders with power to rebell.
Depending on your Profile and thus the voting rights, the Council Members might be the only ones able to vote on faction power.

(in reply to LCcmdr)
Post #: 10
RE: Is bad, random starts just the norm? - 1/14/2022 12:11:53 PM   
LCcmdr

In my limited, bumbling, and experimental play, I find Econ and Interior to give me the best strat cards, provide exploration to mining and grant me access to more leaders. Other than the research angle and the resource discoveries, the EC doesn't seem to help me with credits. In fact, private industry can jump a claim to badly needed mining options while I'm stripped of credits--making me even more impoverished. When I retaliate, nationalizing that needed resource (oil, metal, food, water, or truck supply, the happiness takes a hit--lowering overall satisfaction. IME, this game is a monster at afflicting my already tenuous hold during early startup.

So, exactly how does the EC help me economically. Research--great; resource discovery--essential; but financial growth.....?

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 11
RE: Is bad, random starts just the norm? - 1/14/2022 10:56:59 PM   
SamuraiProgrmmr

The EC will allow you to discover things like hospitals, barracks, and new production sites (soil metalization) that will help you grow. The QOL buildings keep your workers happy without raising their pay every three turns. The new production buildings (especially solar panels) are essential to keep from hitting a brick wall on growth.

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?

(in reply to LCcmdr)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> War Room >> Is bad, random starts just the norm? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI