Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can somebody explain the supply system.....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Can somebody explain the supply system..... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can somebody explain the supply system..... - 1/10/2022 10:11:01 AM   
dropzone77

I don't get the most efficient way to keep all units supplied, building a supply base etc
Post #: 1
RE: Can somebody explain the supply system..... - 1/10/2022 3:12:28 PM   
Jagger2002

Think of your supply as a truck unit located at your supply source that you are moving across the board. It spends its action points like every other unit in the game and uses the truck column terrain costs. With 100 action points, it travels farthest on good roads and can't go nearly as far in bad terrain, off road, etc.

Wherever it can reach in 100 action points, your units will receive full supply and you will see green in the supply filter. Wherever it can reach in 100-150 action points, you receive 75% of supply and you will see yellow in the supply filter. Wherever it can reach in 150-200 action points, you will receive 50% of supply and you will see blue in the supply filter. Wherever it can reach in 200-250 action points, you will receive 25% of supply and you will see pink in the supply filter. If the distance is greater than 250 action points, the truck unit cannot reach it and no supply is delivered.

However you can extend the reach of supply by using depots. There are 4 different depot sizes. Each acts sort of like a gas station. They give extra action points to your supply truck. A strategic depot adds 80 extra action points. So now, your supply truck can travel 330 action points instead of 250 action points. I believe those extra free depot action points are used immediately after the truck leaves the depot. Also I believe you can chain supply depots to extend supply indefinitely. I think you can only build depots in Level 2 cities or greater and in covered hexes adjacent to those cities.

When you are using the supply filter, you can click on a hex or a unit and see the action points used to reach that position from your supply source. In the little black strip centered between your button selections of the control panel along the bottom of the map, you will see the action points used to reach the hex. You will also see if any free action points from depots have been used.

Basically supply travels from supply source to your units. It spends action points to reach your unit and can only go so far. Depots extend the distance which supply can travel. And supply is very important. Hope that helps.

< Message edited by Jagger2002 -- 1/10/2022 3:23:49 PM >

(in reply to dropzone77)
Post #: 2
RE: Can somebody explain the supply system..... - 1/12/2022 7:49:28 AM   
JacquesDeLalaing

SUPPLY BASICS

At the start of each turn:
  • 1) Elements whose internal supply storage is not full request supply
  • 2) Supply is forwarded from your depots to your elements' internal storage (see below); many factors come into play: distance/road quality between the depot and the unit, road congestion, ...
  • 2) then elements try consume their ordinary expenditure (stat "basic supply use") from their internal storage.

@1) Requesting Supply
    All elements have an in-built, organic supply storage (the size is "Supply Max Organic Storage"; usually consumption *6). If this storage is not full, the elements will request the missing supply points. Note that if an element has been out of supply for longer periods of time and its storage is very depleted, it might not be able to request the full amount of supply: There is a limit on how many supply points an element might request in a single turn (stat "Supply max Replenish per turn", usually half of the max storage). You can adjust supply requests by setting priorities ("Eff.SUP" standing orders).

@2) Forwarding supply
    The closest depot (supply source; supply base in "deplete" mode) that has supply points available will try to fulfill your units' requests. The game considers how many AP it takes (movement type "supply") to move from the depot to the unit. If the total AP needed to reach your unit is 100 AP or less, 100% of the dispatched supply points reach the unit. If you enable the supply overlay, the areas that can be reached with 100 AP are marked in green accordingly. If your supply columns need more AP to reach the unit, fewer points will be sent, and the areas are marked in yellow, blue, red in the overlay accordingly. If it would take more than 250 AP, supply is cut (250AP is the maximum range). Note that if you're below 100%, no supply points are actually "lost" for the depot. It's just that fewer points get sent in the first place. Note that you can check how much of the requested supply has reached a unit by looking at the color of the small dot at the top edge of the counters.

Roads, bridges and also road congestion (traffic points) are factored into the calculation of supply range. Also, supply can only move through hexes that you control (that are on your side of the front line). This is often tricky to understand - remember that units that are positioned off-road have troubles exerting their "control" along roads. It's better to position units directly on the road!

The movement of supply points across road links also causes traffic points (0.2 traffic points per supply point).

Note that supply bases in "regular" mode extend the AP-range of your supply sources.

@3) Supply Consumption
    Each element consumes a certain number of supply points per turn (stat "basic supply use"). If this need cannot be met, severe mali set in (e.g. no readiness recovery, instead loss of readiness). Check the "supply consumption" of a formation.

A smaller malus already sets in (particularly for offensive actions) if the unit fulfilled its consumption but has a low storage (check the formations' supply attack/defend modifier). Check the color of the symbols on the bottom edge of the counters (which stand for fuel and supply storage accordingly).

Note that in addition to ordinary consumption supply is also consumed in combat (particularly in offensive actions).

FUEL

Fuel works similarly to supply. However, units have no base consumption of fuel. Instead, fuel is only consumed if the unit moves or fights.
    Also, fuel supply doesn't work on a gradual basis. Instead, if a unit requests for fuel, it will either receive 100% of its request or nothing at all. So, if your unit is in a yellow supply area (100-150AP distance; 75% supply), then it would receive 75% of the requested supply points and have a chance of 75% to receive 100% of the requested fuel points (and 25% chance to receive no fuel at all).
    Fuel resupply generates slightly more traffic points (0.25 per fuel point).

< Message edited by JacquesDeLalaing -- 1/12/2022 7:55:38 AM >

(in reply to Jagger2002)
  • Post #: 3
    RE: Can somebody explain the supply system..... - 1/14/2022 1:06:27 PM   
    Hoyt Burrass

very useful summaries...thanks you!

Roll Tide

(in reply to JacquesDeLalaing)
    Post #: 4
    RE: Can somebody explain the supply system..... - 1/14/2022 1:11:49 PM   
    mikerohan

Thanks. Really helpful!

(in reply to Hoyt Burrass)
    Post #: 5
    RE: Can somebody explain the supply system..... - 1/22/2022 3:36:11 PM   
    pmarvin

Great coverage of a complicated topic, thank you.

Related question: I'm trying to add a forward supply base/depot in the simple Arracourt scenario, but keep getting refused. I have enough PPs, and am trying to put it on roads, even crossroads, the ownership of which is not in doubt. What gives? What is needed to allow the placement of a forward supply depot?

(in reply to mikerohan)
    Post #: 6
    RE: Can somebody explain the supply system..... - 1/22/2022 11:39:09 PM   
    Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: pmarvin

Great coverage of a complicated topic, thank you.

Related question: I'm trying to add a forward supply base/depot in the simple Arracourt scenario, but keep getting refused. I have enough PPs, and am trying to put it on roads, even crossroads, the ownership of which is not in doubt. What gives? What is needed to allow the placement of a forward supply depot?

I believe that you can only add it to an highlighted hex?

Tony

(in reply to pmarvin)
    Post #: 7
    RE: Can somebody explain the supply system..... - 1/23/2022 1:16:18 AM   
    Jagger2002

Yes, you need to place the supply depot on a highlighted hex. I believe those hexes are level 2 cities or greater. It seems hexes adjacent to those cities can sometimes accept depots as well.

(in reply to Toby42)
    Post #: 8
    RE: Can somebody explain the supply system..... - 1/23/2022 9:29:04 AM   
    Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagger2002

Yes, you need to place the supply depot on a highlighted hex. I believe those hexes are level 2 cities or greater. It seems hexes adjacent to those cities can sometimes accept depots as well.

If I got some time, I might create a simple and easy to understand supply tutorial slide or thread here in the forum.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
    Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
    Post #: 9
    RE: Can somebody explain the supply system..... - 1/23/2022 11:39:36 AM   
    mikerohan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagger2002

If I got some time, I might create a simple and easy to understand supply tutorial slide or thread here in the forum.

Klink, Oberst

That would be great! I remember your slides from TOAW and they were very helpful.
    Thanks!

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
    Post #: 10
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Can somebody explain the supply system..... Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI