Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 12:56:33 AM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

quote:

Alfred.

The contents of all those innumerable discussions involving "personal insults" and "superiority complex" can be summarized as:
- Overconfident forumite states X
- Alfred responds that X is wrong and the position is instead Y (typically with reference to developer comments on the subject).
- Overconfident forumite then turns surly at having their mistake highlighted in public.

Problem is that Alfred often responded that X is wrong and the position is instead Y in a patronizing, arrogant and schoolmasterly "I know it all and better than you" way that was often rude, bullying and offending.

Care to give some examples?

Alfred's responses were direct and succinct, but to consider that as being the behaviour you describe simply reveals ignorance of working with individuals with a high degree of knowledge in a subject.

quote:

Yes, he knows almost all and better than the rest (although he is neither all-knowing nor infallible), but he has little appreciation for lesser minds than his own and for those who do not live up to his own high standards of research.

First, to point out that "his own high standards of research" implies that there are other standards of research, which is rarely the case.

Predominant instead is either:

1) zero effort questions that a cursory search of the forum, manual or FAQ threads would have answered
2) explanations/justifications involving a preconceived notion of how the game "should" handle X mechanic, with no effort to actually establish if this was the case.

Secondly, Alfred was always willing to engage with the spirit of a question that was asked. See innumerable considered responses where the author had the willingness to approach the question with a genuine open mind, and without clinging to a preconception and with sufficient maturity to accept that their knowledge was limited and a willingness to learn from others.

I had intended to go on at some length, but I think that your post, in principle, captures the effect that dual poisoning of pettiness and jealousy can have where individuals are unable to accept that they might be wrong, and that someone might know more about a topic than they do.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 31
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 1:00:35 AM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

The spirit of this message is very much appreicated.

quote:

Fourth, regarding the specifics of recent moderation. Let me start with when I first rocked the boat when I banned Alfred. I've explained this before and there was a lot of evidence in favor of that ban, but I should have for the sake of the community laid out the evidence clearly and in public and I should have issued a formal warning seen by the public before jumping to a ban. Hindsight has made that clear. My private messages with Alfred have also made it clear that he takes no responsibility for the bullying and personal attacks he was engaging in and unfortunately at this point, I'll be surprised if he ever agrees to the forum rules and returns. I don't think it's likely that handling that differently would have ended up differently with regards to Alfred, but I'm sure it would have helped a lot in terms of the community feeling less blindsided by that moderation decision.

This completely misrepresents the situation, in my view.

Any diligent examination of Alfred's conducts on the forum would have revealed the following:

1) Alfred has consistently been a source of accurate and considered advice on the game mechanics.

2) There was an element of the community that sought to repeatedly diminish Alfred's insight into the game, attempting to marginalise him as either "google boy" (in an attempt to demean his extensive ability to reference developer discussion/comments in relation to a particular topic) or to dismiss his commentary out of hand because Alfred didn't publicly post any AAR content (and therefore his views were automatically invalid). Language used would certainly be seen as abusive in quite a disparaging manner, but I won't go in to detail here as we've currently got enough fires burning on the forum for me to start stoking another.

It is the failure to appreciate the second point that has stoked unease in the forum at the implementation of the moderation policy, as there is a clear evidence of double standards, in so far as:

- a number of those involved in consistently and repeatedly seeking to denigrate and marginalise Alfred's contributions have faced no consequences. From follow-on comments it appears they now never will.

- a smaller minority that have since looked to turn their attention elsewhere have received notably different treatment compared to Alfred - in every case (that I am aware of) there has been a warning followed by a ban. This was not the case for Alfred's treatment, which was an outright ban with no warning. This is contrary to Matrix policy.

Little surprise that Alfred is unlikely to return to the forum under such treatment.

I won't go in to the optics of Alfred's banning, but suffice to say that the optics on it from a wider community perspective certainly could lead someone to the conclusion of favouritism in the moderation process, or that the moderation process was applied inconsistently.

Given the above, it's little surprise that subsequent moderation actions have not been well-received by the community.

I think Erik deserves a more even-handed evaluation than this. I seriously doubt that Erik took action in cases where someone was or had been disparaging Alfred. It was clear to me that Alfred did what Erik said without provocation in many instances. What happened in other instances does not change that.

I too hope Alfred comes back, but I would not welcome seeing that conduct which Erik addressed.

You don't need to go far back actually - plenty of cases of unsolicited ad hominem attacks on Alfred in the run up, all of which have seen zero consequences (to the best of my knowledge).

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 32
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 1:25:16 AM   
mattj78

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

The spirit of this message is very much appreicated.

quote:

Fourth, regarding the specifics of recent moderation. Let me start with when I first rocked the boat when I banned Alfred. I've explained this before and there was a lot of evidence in favor of that ban, but I should have for the sake of the community laid out the evidence clearly and in public and I should have issued a formal warning seen by the public before jumping to a ban. Hindsight has made that clear. My private messages with Alfred have also made it clear that he takes no responsibility for the bullying and personal attacks he was engaging in and unfortunately at this point, I'll be surprised if he ever agrees to the forum rules and returns. I don't think it's likely that handling that differently would have ended up differently with regards to Alfred, but I'm sure it would have helped a lot in terms of the community feeling less blindsided by that moderation decision.

This completely misrepresents the situation, in my view.

Any diligent examination of Alfred's conducts on the forum would have revealed the following:

1) Alfred has consistently been a source of accurate and considered advice on the game mechanics.

2) There was an element of the community that sought to repeatedly diminish Alfred's insight into the game, attempting to marginalise him as either "google boy" (in an attempt to demean his extensive ability to reference developer discussion/comments in relation to a particular topic) or to dismiss his commentary out of hand because Alfred didn't publicly post any AAR content (and therefore his views were automatically invalid). Language used would certainly be seen as abusive in quite a disparaging manner, but I won't go in to detail here as we've currently got enough fires burning on the forum for me to start stoking another.

It is the failure to appreciate the second point that has stoked unease in the forum at the implementation of the moderation policy, as there is a clear evidence of double standards, in so far as:

- a number of those involved in consistently and repeatedly seeking to denigrate and marginalise Alfred's contributions have faced no consequences. From follow-on comments it appears they now never will.

- a smaller minority that have since looked to turn their attention elsewhere have received notably different treatment compared to Alfred - in every case (that I am aware of) there has been a warning followed by a ban. This was not the case for Alfred's treatment, which was an outright ban with no warning. This is contrary to Matrix policy.

Little surprise that Alfred is unlikely to return to the forum under such treatment.

I won't go in to the optics of Alfred's banning, but suffice to say that the optics on it from a wider community perspective certainly could lead someone to the conclusion of favouritism in the moderation process, or that the moderation process was applied inconsistently.

Given the above, it's little surprise that subsequent moderation actions have not been well-received by the community.

I think Erik deserves a more even-handed evaluation than this. I seriously doubt that Erik took action in cases where someone was or had been disparaging Alfred. It was clear to me that Alfred did what Erik said without provocation in many instances. What happened in other instances does not change that.

I too hope Alfred comes back, but I would not welcome seeing that conduct which Erik addressed.

You don't need to go far back actually - plenty of cases of unsolicited ad hominem attacks on Alfred in the run up, all of which have seen zero consequences (to the best of my knowledge).

i hope you agree there has been nil moderation of this forum from matrix for quite a while its quite interesting the sudden surge in interest from matrix

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 33
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 1:26:11 AM   
Macquarrie1999

quote:

Who cares about this picture silliness. Historical aircraft nose art within historical context is allowed but I cannot post fruit vaginas so I quit the forum this cracks me up

Well said lol. When I first saw that picture I instantly closed it. There are other places on the Internet to look at that kind of stuff.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 34
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 1:36:07 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edmon

I would like to make clear, that the only person I gave a temporary ban to was you, because I asked you directly twice to move the subject to PM and you also directly called me out in your new thread. The way you "came after" me, felt extremely hostile, when at that point all I had done was lock a thread with some seriously objectionable content in it and little more.

Let's take a close look at that claim:

1) The first post I directed specifically to you was post #35 in the "Ok it's time to go" thread

2) You responded in post #43 (no mention of "taking this to PM")

3) I replied in post #44

4) You responded in post #47 (no mention of "taking this to PM")

5) I replied in post #51

6) You responded in post #54 (no mention of "taking this to PM")

7) While I was typing out a response to that, you closed the thread in post #58. Again, no mention of "taking this to PM"

8) When my post was submitted, it went nowhere (obviously, since the destination thread was closed). As a result, and especially since there was no mention of "taking this to PM" at ANY POINT in our previous discussions, I created a new thread solely in order to continue the discussion - and explained that specifically at the top of the thread.

9) Your response in post #2 closed the new thread and instituted my ban. Again, not that it mattered at that point, there was no mention of "taking this to PM".

There's a word for those who make provably false claims, but out of respect for Eric I won't use it here.

(in reply to Edmon)
Post #: 35
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 4:08:46 AM   
Edmon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edmon

I would like to make clear, that the only person I gave a temporary ban to was you, because I asked you directly twice to move the subject to PM and you also directly called me out in your new thread. The way you "came after" me, felt extremely hostile, when at that point all I had done was lock a thread with some seriously objectionable content in it and little more.

Let's take a close look at that claim:

1) The first post I directed specifically to you was post #35 in the "Ok it's time to go" thread

2) You responded in post #43 (no mention of "taking this to PM")

3) I replied in post #44

4) You responded in post #47 (no mention of "taking this to PM")

5) I replied in post #51

6) You responded in post #54 (no mention of "taking this to PM")

7) While I was typing out a response to that, you closed the thread in post #58. Again, no mention of "taking this to PM"

8) When my post was submitted, it went nowhere (obviously, since the destination thread was closed). As a result, and especially since there was no mention of "taking this to PM" at ANY POINT in our previous discussions, I created a new thread solely in order to continue the discussion - and explained that specifically at the top of the thread.

9) Your response in post #2 closed the new thread and instituted my ban. Again, not that it mattered at that point, there was no mention of "taking this to PM".

There's a word for those who make provably false claims, but out of respect for Eric I won't use it here.

I apologise for paraphasing. What I wrote was, and I felt that it was quite clear:

"However, why we no longer allow the sexualization of women on our forums is a topic that is now closed for discussion. We have made our position clear and we ask you, to please respect that position."

Which, meant that I was asking everyone to refrain from continuing the topic on the forums. Which is normal practise elsewhere in our communities.

This leaves PM open to you. In PM you were more than welcome to continue the discussion with me or Erik or whomever you feel the issue needs to be brought to, privately.

It was, as far as I remember, the second time I had politely requested this discussion come to a close.

Anyway, I will not be adding any more to these threads because I feel that they have become entirely circular, generate only bad feelings, no-ones position will change on how they feel about the new policy.

This is a discussion we also could have had in private, with Erik or myself as you felt was needed. Keeping these forums welcoming and about the game, as I think everyone feels they should be.

I will, as always, remain reachable via PM.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 36
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 4:40:03 AM   
warspite1

quote:

What constitutes rudeness is a social construct, and will differ wildly depending on the social and cultural context.

Alfred's responses were, to my mind, the best example of being critical of the idea rather than the person expressing the idea.

I'd challenge you to find a single ad hominem attack from Alfred that wasn't provoked by the comments of another forum user. I wish you luck if you choose to embark on such a search.

warspite1

With regard to the idea that rudeness is a social construct. No, its really not, and its really quite simple. Rudeness is rudeness. To suggest otherwise simply encourages and enables rude behaviour from those inclined to act that way.

With regard to Alfred being critical of the idea rather than the person:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5099442&mpage=1&key=

Have a look at the first three posts. Even Lokasenna felt the need to intervene. This was not a one-off, this was not Alfred on a bad day. This was Alfred.

Too many times he would stamp on, in particular (though not limited to) newbies. For what? Because the newbie dared ask a question? Because the newbie didn't read the manual? Because a poster posted a link to a You Tube video he thought helpful? You seriously think many of these weren't ad hominem attacks? They were, albeit thinly veiled.

As said, Alfred's knowledge and contribution to this forum should not have given him a free pass - though as in the case of Symon, it did give him too much room to continually act poorly without sanction, and for too long - as though he were an untouchable.

As for the 'without warning' comment. Well that may be true (I don't know whether PM's were exchanged and Admiral DadMan's warning was only a short while before Erik's post). But given Alfred's repeat offending and total inability to admit he ever did anything wrong, I think this would have made no difference to the outcome.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/16/2022 4:46:32 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 37
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 6:59:28 AM   
Yaab

quote:

Have a look at the first three posts. Even Lokasenna felt the need to intervene. This was not a one-off, this was not Alfred on a bad day. This was Alfred.

I hope MarkShot is OK and browses this forum offline.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 38
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 10:31:23 AM   
actrade

As a long time strategy gamer and GG games in particular, I was VERY late in picking up WiTP:AE, having chose to stay in Europe with prior WWII games. I have asked many questions in other Matrix forums and sometimes, you get the "manual, page 122" response, which I believe is perfectly fine and helpful. However, a "RTFM" response with no page/chapter given to someone taking the time to come to the forums and ask a question in not fine, nor are derogatory comparisons to idiots, kids, etc. These types of responses are intended to interject some kind of superiority over the original poster plain and simple. I say to these people, "have you ever considered simply not responding if you think the question moronic?" FWIW, I do read the manual cover to cover, but that doesn't mean I completely understand all aspects or didn't miss something. Human history if full of instances of a select few acting as guardians of enlightenment ostensibly because the masses were too ignorant to understand (think the Bible/Church masses in Latin for centuries, high priests from antiquity, etc.) In truth, these "guardians" were merely perpetuating their own importance while staring down their noses at those who they believed were unworthy or unable to comprehend.

With that said, I'll be honest I was quite shocked at the level of vitriol leveled by some at those sincerely asking questions on this forum (certainly not all, as most were very helpful and respectful). I can't say I've seen that on other Matrix forums (of course there are always a few) with the regularity I've seen here. What's baffling to me is that we are a niche group (and some would argue that WiTP:AE is a niche game within a niche group due to it's complexity) that share a common hobby that one would think would be as welcoming as possible in order to grow the genre. Back to the religion analogy, imagine a preacher telling his congregation they're all idiots and going to hell because they don't understand the Bible as well as he? Wouldn't his religion be better served by helping his faithful come to a better understanding of the Bible rather than throwing it at them?

I'm 56 and the father of six, with my three adult boys all gamers. Whilst I would love to see them share my passion for strategy games, they in fact do not. What I will tell you is that the "youtube" generation isn't likely to read a manual cover to cover and that's ok, they learn in their own way. I shudder to think how they would be treated by some if they did decide to give it a try and come on the forums and ask a question without having read the 300-500 page manuals some of our games come with. I still have my original Falcon 4.0 hard cover manual and gladly paid extra for the wonderful WiTE2 hard cover manual, which I have spent many a night reading while my family watches TV. I recently had the WiTP:AE PDF manual professionally bound and copied so I could do the same with it. My family just shakes their heads and laughs when I undertake a new game as that's about the only time they see me reading in book format.

While I can't speak for Erik and Matrix, I would venture a guess that civility on the forums doesn't end with posting questionable photos. I believe they understand that to grow their business, they are trying to lay the groundwork for a more welcoming community, be it what's posted in text or in photos. Ultimately, they run a business and these forums exist here to promote and help sell their games, period. If we believe their are too heavy-handed in their moderation, we are free to head to reddit or other boards without much if any moderation. However, that only serves to further dilute our genre.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 39
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 11:50:02 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: actrade

imagine a preacher telling his congregation they're all idiots and going to hell because they don't understand the Bible as well as he?

To be fair, that worked quite well for about 1000 years, when the bible was only available in Latin.

quote:

If we believe their are too heavy-handed in their moderation, we are free to head to reddit or other boards without much if any moderation.

I agree. Although I do not know if matrix is concerned, or not, with the loss of many collective years of experience, with this game, from this forum. Perhaps their overall objectives are willing to bear that cost.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 1/16/2022 11:55:44 AM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 40
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 12:42:58 PM   
littleike

quote:

ORIGINAL: actrade

While I can't speak for Erik and Matrix, I would venture a guess that civility on the forums doesn't end with posting questionable photos. I believe they understand that to grow their business, they are trying to lay the groundwork for a more welcoming community, be it what's posted in text or in photos. Ultimately, they run a business and these forums exist here to promote and help sell their games, period. If we believe their are too heavy-handed in their moderation, we are free to head to reddit or other boards without much if any moderation. However, that only serves to further dilute our genre.

Well i heard many times this refrain: Syltherine own the game so if you don't agree with their policy you are free to go elsewhere.

Despite the necessary control over the forum that i consider necessay i want to say that if this community would have not been devoted to this game from its origin till now and lost time and time to help correcting explaining and implementing it instead of throwing the cd toward the wall due to the mass of errors and mistakes it has in its original releases few business could have been done today.

Starting from uncommon valour to Witp to WitpAE i think none game in history has had this mass of contribution from loyal buyers (read well...buyers). To give the right merit Matrix has always done the maximum effort to correct and implement new functions giving an unvaluable support to users and making this one if not the best wargame on the market today. This still happens and is a really merit of Matrix.

So i think that this community from the first to the last who posted here deserve a bit of respect, at least not throwing always to it "game is mine and i do what i want with it and if you don't agree go" every time there is to discuss something.

The experience of Edmon on Steam has probabily made him to not to correctly judge this forum and i think that if he really is a gamer he will be more focalized in the future on how to make the game grow better instead of searching what definitely is not here.

Let me remember that the closed thread that originates everything was a clearly OT not widespread on the matrix forum and that also into that there were not only borderline content of doubt if not bad taste but other stuff made for the community that had nothing of obscenity to merit a suddenly closure!! Internet is full of sites with porno or womens sexification, really someone can think that one will come here to find some analogous??

This is one of the most correct community site i have ever seen in internet till now and i think there is no much to sanitize here!!

Speaking of Alfred i think that he had really terrified Matrix and Siltheryne business with his acting toward new users and i think this has been the main reason he has been banned so quickly. It's an understandable choice from the point of view of a company who has to make result at end of the year. Maybe he was so addicted to his role to not have seen this side of the story but i think he couldn't be so blind to not take this thing in serious examination.

I hope he and MarkShoot also both will be back here because i am sure they can give an invaluable help to all who try to learn this game at best.
I am confident that if their previous frequentation was due at first to help users they will be back sooner or later; if only they were here to feed their ego we will no more see them but let me say that at that point it will not be a great loss.

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 41
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 12:49:25 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

What constitutes rudeness is a social construct, and will differ wildly depending on the social and cultural context.

Alfred's responses were, to my mind, the best example of being critical of the idea rather than the person expressing the idea.

I'd challenge you to find a single ad hominem attack from Alfred that wasn't provoked by the comments of another forum user. I wish you luck if you choose to embark on such a search.

warspite1

With regard to the idea that rudeness is a social construct. No, its really not, and its really quite simple. Rudeness is rudeness. To suggest otherwise simply encourages and enables rude behaviour from those inclined to act that way.

Demonstrably false, as anyone with even superficial exposure of other cultures will be able to tell you.

For a simple example, consider tipping when paying for a meal. In the UK and US, considered a generous act to acknowledge excellent service. In some Asian countries, likely to be seen as exceptionally rude.

I'd be interested in any proof you may be able to provide to support your claim, as if true it would certainly have rolled back decades of sociology.

quote:

To be frank, that was an appropriate admonishment to MarkShot, who (if you remember the wider context) had been making a number of posts that, if you were being generous, you could describe as low effort. This from someone who was up front about the fact they hadn't purchased the game and certainly gave off quite a negative impression overall to myself and others.

Note, importantly, the ad hominem attack that appears in post 4, and others in subsequent posts.

Do you think that Alfred's pointed simile merited such ad hominem attacks? I certainly don't.

quote:

Too many times he would stamp on, in particular (though not limited to) newbies. For what? Because the newbie dared ask a question? Because the newbie didn't read the manual? Because a poster posted a link to a You Tube video he thought helpful? You seriously think many of these weren't ad hominem attacks? They were, albeit thinly veiled.

See my previous comments regarding on post #31 regarding questions being asked, but I neglected to there those cases where there were accusations of a bug or something being broken, when there was a failure of comprehension.

On the YouTube comment, any moderately experienced player would agree that quality of the video in question was certainly indicative of someone at an intermediate level of play - presenting it as being more authoritative than it actually is would, in the long run, be detrimental to the community.

quote:

As said, Alfred's knowledge and contribution to this forum should not have given him a free pass - though as in the case of Symon, it did give him too much room to continually act poorly without sanction, and for too long - as though he were an untouchable.

It's interesting that you draw that comparison between those two individuals, but you're only considering the superficial level. If you were to look beyond that superficial level, you may just hit on the commonality between the two.

quote:

As for the 'without warning' comment. Well that may be true (I don't know whether PM's were exchanged and Admiral DadMan's warning was only a short while before Erik's post). But given Alfred's repeat offending and total inability to admit he ever did anything wrong, I think this would have made no difference to the outcome.

There's no may about it - it's there for all to see.

Given that in post #16 you call for fair application of rules in all cases, and avoiding preferential treatment, then you should likely show be more concerned.

The issue is the inconsistent application of the process rather than the outcome in itself. I would hope that you can see why that's a problem.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 42
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 1:13:16 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Demonstrably false, as anyone with even superficial exposure of other cultures will be able to tell you.

For a simple example, consider tipping when paying for a meal. In the UK and US, considered a generous act to acknowledge excellent service. In some Asian countries, likely to be seen as exceptionally rude.

I'd be interested in any proof you may be able to provide to support your claim, as if true it would certainly have rolled back decades of sociology.

warspite1

Demonstrably false? So you use the example of local tipping custom to evidence rudeness in conversing (by word or written form). That is not helpful and one may say disingenuous.

I have conversed with a great many on this forum, Britons, Americans, Germans, French, Japanese, Russians... the list goes on. It is not difficult to make sufficient effort to ensure that one's comments aren't seen as rude. On occasion it may not work - but that is the exception to the rule.

So many people find Alfred rude because... well he was, for a great many of his posts, insufferably rude.

Post #: 43
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 1:17:03 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

quote:

To be frank, that was an appropriate admonishment to MarkShot, who (if you remember the wider context) had been making a number of posts that, if you were being generous, you could describe as low effort. This from someone who was up front about the fact they hadn't purchased the game and certainly gave off quite a negative impression overall to myself and others.

Note, importantly, the ad hominem attack that appears in post 4, and others in subsequent posts.

Do you think that Alfred's pointed simile merited such ad hominem attacks? I certainly don't.

warspite1

Simple. Very simple. There was no reason WHATSOEVER for Alfred to write post 2 in response to MarkShot's post 1. As said, even Lokasenna was triggered to remark upon it. It was rude, unhelpful and not a little unhinged.

Post #: 44
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 1:22:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

quote:

quote:

See my previous comments regarding on post #31 regarding questions being asked, but I neglected to there those cases where there were accusations of a bug or something being broken, when there was a failure of comprehension.

On the YouTube comment, any moderately experienced player would agree that quality of the video in question was certainly indicative of someone at an intermediate level of play - presenting it as being more authoritative than it actually is would, in the long run, be detrimental to the community.

warspite1

I don't doubt - as has been made clear - that Alfred felt he had grounds for doubting the quality of the video. That is not the point. The point was quite clear and quite simple. The response to Tanaka's post was succinct.

"I'm Alfred, my intellect is colossal and you? YOU are stupid. You come here to post about a video YOU thought was helpful. How dare you. It was rubbish and you are clearly unable to comprehend this simple point".

There is simply no need for it.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/16/2022 3:22:53 PM >

Post #: 45
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 1:24:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's interesting that you draw that comparison between those two individuals, but you're only considering the superficial level. If you were to look beyond that superficial level, you may just hit on the commonality between the two.

warspite1

Superficial level? Well I guess it depends on what importance you place on civility and treated people with respect.

Post #: 46
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 1:29:34 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Given that in post #16 you call for fair application of rules in all cases, and avoiding preferential treatment, then you should likely show be more concerned.

The issue is the inconsistent application of the process rather than the outcome in itself. I would hope that you can see why that's a problem.
warspite1

My mistake. I didn't realise that you canvassed ADM, Erik and others on that thread to ensure there were no PM's behind the scenes. Clearly you have all the facts about that thread and what transpired between all parties.

But assuming you are correct, I am not defending a rule that was not enforced. What I did say (and this wouldn't make the non-application correct) is that it is 99% certain that there was no different effect. Quite simply Alfred was never ever wrong about anything - and his subsequent comments to Erik confirm that.

Post #: 47
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 1:38:18 PM   
RangerJoe

I agree with mind_messing, rudeness is based on context. As an example, burping at the table after a meal is considered rude in some places yet is a compliment at other places. Tipping in Germany is giving the small change to the wait staff and not 15-20% of the cost of the meal. The language that some people use towards each other, especially military veterans with shared experiences, may make people wince but it is a sign of brotherly love.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 48
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 1:57:05 PM   
Sardaukar

Yea, military persons tend to be universally quite foul-mouthed.

And no amount of education stops soldiers/sailors/marines/airmen etc. to draw d*cks on wall(s)....

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 49
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 2:06:59 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

My mistake. I didn't realise that you canvassed ADM, Erik and others on that thread to ensure there were no PM's behind the scenes. Clearly you have all the facts about that thread and what transpired between all parties.

But assuming you are correct, I am not defending a rule that was not enforced. What I did say (and this wouldn't make the non-application correct) is that it is 99% certain that there was no different effect. Quite simply Alfred was never ever wrong about anything - and his subsequent comments to Erik confirm that.

I do know that Alfred was incorrect on one occasion if not others, But in his defense, I do not know if the information had changed in an update.

As far as his comments to Erik after his unwarned ban, I have not seen them. To my knowledge, they were never made public. If you know where they were publicized, and not just commented upon, then please post a link.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 50
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 2:08:54 PM   
DD696

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

And no amount of education stops soldiers/sailors/marines/airmen etc. to draw d*cks on wall(s)....

Hey, I'm a Vietnam veteran. I'm used to being praised by people such as you. Please throw some more cheap shots at veterans.

This is a perfect example of why many people choose to read the forums rather to participate and join in. When people such as this and Alfred are free to say things such as this, and are never called on it, does not make these forums a place where people care to join in.

Come on, Sardaukar. Surely you can do better than that at insulting veterans.

Sorry, Vietnam era veteran. Never served in Vietnam.

< Message edited by DD696 -- 1/16/2022 2:39:18 PM >

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 51
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 2:11:56 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Demonstrably false? So you use the example of local tipping custom to evidence rudeness in conversing (by word or written form). That is not helpful and one may say disingenuous.

I have conversed with a great many on this forum, Britons, Americans, Germans, French, Japanese, Russians... the list goes on. It is not difficult to make sufficient effort to ensure that one's comments aren't seen as rude. On occasion it may not work - but that is the exception to the rule.

Having had such a wide conversation, then you certainly should have noted certain differences in conversational patterns and norms.

If you wish a direct example, consider the directness in conversation that you find common in many European cultures, which can often be perceived as being abrupt to the point of rudeness in the Anglosphere. Inverted, the tendency for the Anglosphere to prevaricate and approach topics indirectly can be perceived as dissimulation and rude as a result.

quote:

So many people find Alfred rude because... well he was, for a great many of his posts, insufferably rude.

No, Alfred was misliked because he was, with exceptional consistency, right and they were wrong.

No level of saccharin coating would have mitigated this, as you'll find those taking that view certainly lacked the maturity to accept that there might be someone out there with more insight into the topic than they possessed.

quote:

Simple. Very simple. There was no reason WHATSOEVER for Alfred to write post 2 in response to MarkShot's post 1. As said, even Lokasenna was triggered to remark upon it. It was rude, unhelpful and not a little unhinged.

I'll disagree here; the opening question, when combined with previous questions and the admission of not buying the game certainly gave an impression of being vexatious. Combined with the fact that the information itself was relatively low hanging fruit simply adds to this.

quote:

I don't doubt - as has been made clear - that Alfred felt he had grounds for doubting the quality of the video. That is not the point. The point was quite clear and quite simple. The response to Tanaka's post was succinct.

"I'm Alfred, my intellect is colossal and you? YOU are stupid. You come here to post about a video YOU thought was helpful. How dare you. It was rubbish and you are clearly unable to comprehend this simple point.

Now here's a question, have you ever seen Alfred chest-thumping regarding intellect? Good luck finding any.

The sentiment expressed in the initial promotion of that YouTube video series was completely out of sync with the actual quality of the content.

Alfred highlighted how newer players evidently seemed to be fooled by this, but any experienced players would be able to discern the truth.

It's a well known trend at this point that AE doesn't lend itself well to long format YouTube videos and that the quality suffers as a result.

Again, not sure if you feel the need for this sentiment to have further saccharine applied to it.

quote:

Superficial level? Well I guess it depends on what importance you place on civility and treated people with respect.

Ah, now we get at the rub of the matter. Consider telling someone that they are incorrect. How do you balance that with civility and respect?

Note the above comments on saccharine.

It's a lose/lose. Nobody likes to be told their wrong, regardless of the setting. Much easier to handwave it away as "Alfred is rude" than to have a deeper reflection that will challenge established notions about knowledge of game mechanics.

quote:

I shouldn't need to canvass anyone. See previous posts in the other thread regarding Matrix policy re: warnings. Do you see that being enacted in the thread in question?

Worth pointing out that there were others that made similar comments in the immediate aftermath of that thread.

quote:

Quite simply Alfred was never ever wrong about anything - and his subsequent comments to Erik confirm that.

This may shock the system somewhat, but there are people that think before they post online. Alfred certainly was one of those.

Can you recall an instance where Alfred was wrong? In all my years on the forum, I can recall maybeone borderline incident involving night bombing, but even then Alfred had the correct understanding and a missing text string was the real issue.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 52
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 3:06:00 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

I agree with mind_messing, rudeness is based on context. As an example, burping at the table after a meal is considered rude in some places yet is a compliment at other places. Tipping in Germany is giving the small change to the wait staff and not 15-20% of the cost of the meal. The language that some people use towards each other, especially military veterans with shared experiences, may make people wince but it is a sign of brotherly love.
warspite1

More comment on local manners and customs. Great, but not relevant to this topic about rudeness when communicating.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/16/2022 3:41:24 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 53
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 3:07:47 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

I shall remember that when conversing with an ex-miltary person on this forum I shall need to swear repeatedly and ensure a copy of a penis is included with my post

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 54
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 3:08:46 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

quote:

Hey, I'm a Vietnam veteran. I'm used to being praised by people such as you. Please throw some more cheap shots at veterans.

This is a perfect example of why many people choose to read the forums rather to participate and join in. When people such as this and Alfred are free to say things such as this, and are never called on it, does not make these forums a place where people care to join in.

Come on, Sardaukar. Surely you can do better than that at insulting veterans.

Sorry, Vietnam era veteran. Never served in Vietnam.

I have served too, though not in Vietnam, so I think I know what I have seen on barrack toilets. Those drawings are almost universal.

Nothing to do with "insulting" veterans, young guys in that environment are what they are.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 55
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 3:10:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

As far as his comments to Erik after his unwarned ban, I have not seen them. To my knowledge, they were never made public. If you know where they were publicized, and not just commented upon, then please post a link.
warspite1

I am pretty sure they were not publicised, why would they be? But are you suggesting Erik is lying? For what purpose?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/16/2022 3:40:43 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 56
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 3:20:03 PM   
Kull

quote:

I have served too, though not in Vietnam, so I think I know what I have seen on barrack toilets. Those drawings are almost universal.

Nothing to do with "insulting" veterans, young guys in that environment are what they are.

I highlighted the important part. I was in the military too AND lived in a college dorm. The dorm was wayyyyyy worse.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 57
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 3:21:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Having had such a wide conversation, then you certainly should have noted certain differences in conversational patterns and norms.

If you wish a direct example, consider the directness in conversation that you find common in many European cultures, which can often be perceived as being abrupt to the point of rudeness in the Anglosphere. Inverted, the tendency for the Anglosphere to prevaricate and approach topics indirectly can be perceived as dissimulation and rude as a result.

quote:

No, Alfred was misliked because he was, with exceptional consistency, right and they were wrong.

No level of saccharin coating would have mitigated this, as you'll find those taking that view certainly lacked the maturity to accept that there might be someone out there with more insight into the topic than they possessed.

quote:

I'll disagree here; the opening question, when combined with previous questions and the admission of not buying the game certainly gave an impression of being vexatious. Combined with the fact that the information itself was relatively low hanging fruit simply adds to this.

quote:

"I'm Alfred, my intellect is colossal and you? YOU are stupid. You come here to post about a video YOU thought was helpful. How dare you. It was rubbish and you are clearly unable to comprehend this simple point.

Now here's a question, have you ever seen Alfred chest-thumping regarding intellect? Good luck finding any.

The sentiment expressed in the initial promotion of that YouTube video series was completely out of sync with the actual quality of the content.

Alfred highlighted how newer players evidently seemed to be fooled by this, but any experienced players would be able to discern the truth.

It's a well known trend at this point that AE doesn't lend itself well to long format YouTube videos and that the quality suffers as a result.

Again, not sure if you feel the need for this sentiment to have further saccharine applied to it.

quote:

Ah, now we get at the rub of the matter. Consider telling someone that they are incorrect. How do you balance that with civility and respect?

Note the above comments on saccharine.

It's a lose/lose. Nobody likes to be told their wrong, regardless of the setting. Much easier to handwave it away as "Alfred is rude" than to have a deeper reflection that will challenge established notions about knowledge of game mechanics.

quote:

I shouldn't need to canvass anyone. See previous posts in the other thread regarding Matrix policy re: warnings. Do you see that being enacted in the thread in question?

Worth pointing out that there were others that made similar comments in the immediate aftermath of that thread.

quote:

Quite simply Alfred was never ever wrong about anything - and his subsequent comments to Erik confirm that.

This may shock the system somewhat, but there are people that think before they post online. Alfred certainly was one of those.

Can you recall an instance where Alfred was wrong? In all my years on the forum, I can recall maybeone borderline incident involving night bombing, but even then Alfred had the correct understanding and a missing text string was the real issue.

warspite1

Well I am not going to engage in further pointless back and forth with you. We each have our thoughts on this and I am sure neither will be swayed by the other.

Moreover, I am certainly not going to waste any more time on someone who isn't even here. It is clear you believe Alfred beyond reproach, a character who was never wrong about anything and certainly never rude to anyone.

But of course that is nonsense and you clearly believe that certain people should be allowed to get away with rudeness (just because they happen to know about a game) - and/or because of their culture????

All I will say is in response to "can you recall an instance when Alfred was wrong". In terms of the game. No - I don't know enough about the game to know if he was wrong or not, but I would guess he was rarely if ever wrong. Do I know of Alfred being wrong about history generally? Yes, and on quite a number of occasions.

But this thread isn't about one person, so I'll leave it at that other than to say that its funny that so many consider him rude, Erik considered his rudeness worthy of a ban, but apparently he never was.....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/16/2022 3:38:01 PM >

Post #: 58
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 3:50:09 PM   
davidgillsol

Eric- As a long time user of this forum I would just like to express my support of your post, despite not necessarily agreeing with all the decisions made.
At the end of the day this is a Matrix forum, and they are your rules to apply. If we don't like them we can go elsewhere, which is our own choice.
I think part of the problem, having been on this forum since before WITPAE was published is that a group who are constantly on it begin to believe, not unreasonably, that it it "their forum" and what the group decides goes. That is only the case if we own the forum.
I agree with the analogy drawn of its the difference between meeting in your own home with a group of friends when you can mutually agree what is acceptable or not,and who is invited, or meeting in a coffee shop (or being British, a pub!), where you conduct comes down to what the owner tolerates, and you don't have control over who is around you and can hear what you are discussing.

At the end of the day this is a computer game- I will reserve my ire for the mistakes I make in PBEM games when I send my BB's on a bombardment mission and they run into a convoy, get delayed and end the turn in bombing range of the US airfield...

(in reply to DConn)
Post #: 59
RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. - 1/16/2022 3:51:30 PM   
DesertWolf101

1) To state the obvious, Alfred is extremely knowledgeable about the game and has contributed greatly to our shared understanding of how it works behind the hood.
2) Alfred has been nothing but kind to me since I arrived on the forum. He has been crucial in helping me comprehend the game mechanics through his previous public posts, his numerous direct posts on my AARs, and his private messages. My initial enjoyment and success in the game owe a considerable amount to him. He has also been kind, generous, and effusive in his praise.
3) Alfred has been actively and unfairly attacked in the past, often in crude and uncalled for ways. His contributions have also been pilloried and underappreciated by those who knew a lot less about how the game worked. On numerous occasions his responses where fully justified within their context.
4) Both Alfred and I live in the same country and I am very well aware of what is considered rude here and what is not.

With the context of the above points, I will not hesitate to state that there is no doubt in my mind that Alfred has in the past been unjustly and unnecessarily rude, especially to new members who were asking innocent if perhaps ignorant questions. I noticed this long before he was banned, and I regret not privately messaging him about it.

None of us are perfect and Alfred is no exception. The fact that he was underappreciated does not absolve him of all responsibility. It is my sincere wish that he would come back to the forum and the lack of his presence is a detriment to all of us. However, Alfred also needs to be able to see where he was wrong and to be able to accept Erik's generous olive branch and accept the forum's rules. Civility is a precondition for all of us, no matter our knowledge.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: A discussion about our Community and Moderation. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI