Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> After Action Reports >> RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/19/2022 8:56:14 AM   
rjh1971

Wi46 Japan

I lost one battleship from a stupid move in the previous turn.
IJN retreats so it has better air cover from land aircraft.
The US has more CV on the other side of Africa (Angola) but they won't be able to join the CVs in the Indian Ocean and still have movement points left to launch an attack on the IJN.

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to tcart)
Post #: 121
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/19/2022 9:55:00 AM   
kondor

WI '46 Soviets
While Churchill and Eisenhower drink wine in warm Paris, my troops are bleeding in Austria.
I hoped that the WA would move onto German borders and tie up some of the enemy troops attacking in Austria.

Only winter and lack of supplies for my foe saved my units from retreating the last turn.

This turn Germany has 46 supplies to spend, not enough to move all of the troops, and I brought all I can spare, even militia units. All close to the GE borders.

How will we deal with IJ I don't know? It will be a well-deserved axis victory soon.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 122
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/20/2022 12:28:04 AM   
tcart

Germany Spring 46

The Germans have enough supplies to grind up the Red Army once more. This time the results are extremely favorable to me. Plus, with a quick supply run to Sweden I can resupply and rebuild virtually all of my losses.

I'm a little stretched in E. Germany, but I think I can fight off the militia hordes. Same goes for at the West Wall. The fort, plus my airpower should keep Patton in check. But who knows. One bad battle could end it.

This shows how tough Germany can be at the end, if she can retreat with most of her army. Unless the allies can force her to split her forces, she can pull a Frederick the Great and use interior lines to really grind her opponents.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 123
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/20/2022 12:29:34 AM   
tcart

Worth noting, too, that I didn't want to take Austria. In fact, winning the region would have doomed me, as I needed my defenders to retreat to their starting positions. Happily massed artillery did the trick while allowing me to hold a small fortress.

Given how badly the Russians were hit, maybe I can counterattack east. Onward to Moscow!

(in reply to tcart)
Post #: 124
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/20/2022 9:02:17 AM   
rjh1971

Sp 46 Japan

The WA allies sent five of their CAGs and wiped my air force in South India, two fighters destroyed and a heavy bomber damaged for one their CAGs damaged and another destroyed.

In this turn IJN is clearly still not prepared to attack the Soviet Union, the difference in artillery attack and armour attack is what tips the balance in favour of the soviets (9 vs 6)

A big clash took place in the Western Arabian sea. First all available fighters were sent to fend off the fighter cap. Then a second wave of Japanese CAGs followed, and last all near surface vessels were sent into battle. You can see the results in the next image.

Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to tcart)
Post #: 125
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/20/2022 9:26:37 AM   
kondor

quote:

ORIGINAL: tcart

Worth noting, too, that I didn't want to take Austria. In fact, winning the region would have doomed me, as I needed my defenders to retreat to their starting positions. Happily massed artillery did the trick while allowing me to hold a small fortress.

Yes, this is an excellent tactic. I've used something similar in the last game as GE. When I've attacked from Rumania and didn't actually want to invade into Kiev. Just send artillery to do the job and retreat.

Great defense of the reich.

(in reply to tcart)
Post #: 126
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/20/2022 9:58:11 AM   
kondor

SP '46 Soviets turn.
RA can't take these losses anymore, troops were called back. Excellent defense of the Reich left Stalin with a bloody nose.
I've checked the rules, the end is in the fall of '46. At that time, it's doubtful if we even can get Germany out of the war, and there is no way that we'll manage to get Japan on time.

Congratz guys on the brilliant victory.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 127
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/20/2022 10:00:26 AM   
kondor

In this turn, I've employed the RA airforce in the first major raid. Targeting railroads in the Czech., should press the GE supply issue a bit further.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 128
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/20/2022 10:01:39 AM   
kondor

Take a look at the horrific losses on all sides. War, what is it good for?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 129
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/20/2022 10:34:18 AM   
rjh1971

I'm pretty happy with Japan's losses

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 130
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/20/2022 10:43:47 AM   
kondor

Stalin is unaware that Japan even exists!

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 131
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/21/2022 12:30:03 AM   
tcart

Germany Summer 46.
Fun game. Thanks everyone.

Not much for the Germans to report. With the Russians backing off I can push all of my units to W. Germany. An allied attack there will surely fail, given the West Wall.

A couple of notes: Germany is critically short of resources, but not factories. A sustained effort to bomb her few remaining resources could have paralyzed her. Same goes for my one remaining transport fleet. Control of the Baltic basically doubled my production.

Because it takes less manpower to rebuild damaged units, I have the luxury of replacing losses easily provided I can also build enough supplies. So Germany rebuilds 6 fighters to keep those nasty bombers away.

It's critical for the WA and SU to pressure Germany at the same time. It's impossible to defend a two front push. In this game I was lucky enough to only face one at a time. This is why I invested first in Uboats and then later in FTRs. That kept France secure and ensured that I could face Russia with most of my army.

This turn I could shift everything West. If the Russians had stacked up a suicide army in Poland I'd have been hard pressed to clobber it and also defend WG.

Japan was the real juggernaught in this game. Even a slightly better Barbarossa would have gotten us an AV on her coattails.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 132
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/21/2022 8:22:23 AM   
rjh1971

Su46 Japan

The WA allies invaded poorly defended Western India massing a big army for a further attack. This situation had to be dealt with.

A first air strike with fighters was sent to dislodge aircover over WA transport fleets. In fact there was only one fighter on the air the other was in the hold of a TF.

A second air strike was sent to destroy the bombers stationed in Oman but only one was damaged.

Then the TF in the bay of India were sent to the bottom of the sea. And now that the path was cleared IJN CVs set sail to hammer the stubborn WA main fleet damaging but failing to sinking any CV.

Nonetheless I believe the IJN plans in isolating the WA army in Western India have succeeded, Southern India was reinforced with troops from Manchuria and we will try to cast off those pesky "mosquitoes" in Western India

A lonesome WA sub in Australia that was threatening our naval lanes was taken care of, operating so far from his naval base made it ran the same fate as our sub when it got damaged in Southern Africa, it was destroyed!

Here is how the situation looks like at the end of the turn.

(in reply to tcart)
Post #: 133
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/21/2022 8:24:17 AM   
rjh1971

And the production chart

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 134
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/21/2022 8:34:22 AM   
rjh1971

You can replay the whole war and see how many victory points you had at each moment pressing the strategic map button in the tool bar at the top (in the image I copy pasted in the bottom)

The Axis reached its highest peak in the Fall of 1943.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 135
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/21/2022 8:36:42 AM   
rjh1971

And finally the production for Japan this turn

Oh and this makes my 4900 post in the forum

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjh1971 -- 1/21/2022 8:37:03 AM >

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 136
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/21/2022 5:58:37 PM   
kondor

WoW! 4900!
SU moves into W. Poland, just to witness a victory celebration in Berlin.
Congratz on a well-deserved win.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 137
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/25/2022 7:39:39 AM   
rjh1971

Fa46 Japan (Last turn!)

I made a mistake forgetting to place a tactical bomber in Southern India consequently I couldn't take advantage of the combined arms attack to expel the WA troops in Western India. Nonetheless all damaged WA units were destroyed as they didn't have a path to a factory to be repaired.

The US heavy bomber in Oman was also destroyed. In order to attack the transport fleet in the E. Med and the CAG in Cairo IJN launched an attack to neutralize the WA artillery an prevent it from firing at our CVs when they entered the Red Sea.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 138
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/25/2022 7:43:48 AM   
rjh1971

I wonder if Germany will hold or fall in this last turn. My bet is that they will hold against the Soviets but the WA will most probably take Western Germany.

Whatever the outcome kudos to Tim who was been able to fend off the Soviet and the WA's combined attacks.

< Message edited by rjh1971 -- 1/25/2022 7:44:09 AM >

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 139
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/25/2022 7:45:35 AM   
rjh1971

Here is the production chart, the cassualties chart, and signint chart.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 140
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/25/2022 7:56:45 AM   
rjh1971

And here is the advanced made in technology for the most significant units.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 141
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/25/2022 8:30:33 AM   
kondor

Soviet last turn.
I've sent all troops to Berlin, projected losses were 3:1 in Tim's favor, with 0 chance of success.
So, I've canceled it and took empty Czech.

Goran will have better chances as W. Germany has fewer land units in defense.

I feel like I played a pretty solid game, especially when the situation was the grimmest. Remember SU received 0 supplies through the land lease. Each turn was carefully calculated in advance, how many troops will I move, and what is the minimum amount of supplies I need. The research was mostly neglected (except in artillery, and somewhat in tanks).
Of course, I made a few errors. Mostly due to the fact as the war is going badly for us, and I was forced to take additional risks. That suits me, I love aggressive playstyle.

And Tim punished my mistakes and overextensions accordingly. The lack of fog of war made it even more strange.
I think that Goran suffered the most from a lack of FOW, as the IJN had ample of time to prepare for his every move.

But all in all, another fun game for me.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 142
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/25/2022 6:26:07 PM   
rjh1971

War Ends!!!

Well Germany was finally crushed by the Allied powers but that didn't prevent the Axis from achieving a Decisive victory.

As Dalibor mentioned and I agree, loosing fow due to an upgrade was a great setback as you can't hide your intentions from your opponent.

Thank you all for the game.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 143
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/25/2022 6:27:13 PM   
rjh1971

Victory screen.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 144
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> After Action Reports >> RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI