Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Giving Logistics Assets sensible production and costs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Giving Logistics Assets sensible production and costs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Giving Logistics Assets sensible production and costs - 1/21/2022 5:51:45 PM   
zgrssd

The current values for Logistics Assets are a mess. For several of them, apparently Economics of scale do not apply or apply to late.
For every single value, Economics of scale should apply.

General rules
- Pick a set of values for T1. This will be the base for all other Tiers.
- Pick a set of cots to build, that will be the same for every Tier. Especially expensive stuff like Machines.
- Ideally, pick a single build time for all Tiers. Remember you need to have built all the previous Tiers to even have access to the new Tier. If you need to go from nothing to a high tier, that is already a lot of turns wasted.
- Two values are relevant for the formulas - the Tier (T) and the Tier Squared (T²). Some values are better to scale linerary, while some better scale exponentionally
- We are already paying a huge price for higher Tiers - that we need a larger city. Which in some cases requires us to founding a city or growing a city to those sizes. Which also needs more QoL assets.
- If at all possible, please uncouple logistics Level from City level. Logistics assets are the reason a lot of cities were founded and grew - rather then the other way around.

Logistics Capacity should be: T1 * T²
This makes sure that it is never beneficial for capacity to build twice as many of a lower tier. You would at best draw even.

Production cost should be: [T1 * T²] - [T-1 * 5%]
The first part makes sure that the Production cost generally scales with the Capacity.
The 2nd part makes sure, that it is actually slightly better to have a bigger one in all circumstances. This is Economics of Scale at work.

This would cap out at -30% for a Tier 7. But consider that:
a) You need a impossibly large T7 city to even build it
b) If you do not need at least a T5 worth of capacity, even the T7 running at 25% would still be a net loss in resources.

Together with the capacity increase, this makes sure there is never, ever a question of building more of a lower Tier if you can build it large.

Upkeep cost should be: T1 * T
Economics of scale mean stuff should never get harder to maintain. It is more decrease then currently, but then this is not a large figure compared to production cost anyway.
And any complexd math would only make the math harder, for no evident advantage.

If - and only if - Logistics asssets are no longer tied to City level, I guess these costs could scale up to T². As a deterent against pointless upgrades. But I doubt even that would be nesseary.

Free ÁP I guess can stay as they are now. But see the Rail part.

Example: Truck Station
Build costs could stay 2 rounds x 100 Metal, 100 IP, worker diference to next Tier for every Tier
Upkeep cost would be Tier x 100.

T1(x1): 800 Capacity, 100 freeAP, 20 Fuel, 1000 Workers
T2(x2): 1600 Capacity, 105 freeAp, 38 Fuel, 1900 Workers
T3(x4): 3200 Capacity, 110 freeAp, 72 Fuel, 3600 Workers
T4(x8): 6400 Capacity, 115 freeAP, 136 Fuel, 6800 Workers
T5(x16): 12800 Capacity, 120 freeAP, 256 Fuel, 12800 Workers
T6(x32): 25600 Capacity, 125 freeAp, 480 Fuel, 240000 Workers
T7(x64): 51200 Capacity, 130 freeAP, 896 Fuel, 448000 Workers

No question, that each tier is slightly better then before.
But even going "2 Tiers above your need to run it at 25%" will not be a major saving

Rail
Change AP numbers and cost:
- Multiply the freeAP by 5
- Rail Hexes cost 5 times as much
People will now be able to see that Rail is for long ranges, without needing to know rails only cost 2/Hex. Better to tell that with free AP, then with the Rail values.

Maybe lessen the AP increase or base value a bit, as on the Rail Ranges you are rarely using up your AP to begin with. A T1 station with 100 Free AP is enough for 50 hexes. 50 hexes are enough to circumnavigate Luna - ending up at the same station, not a counter station on the other side!
Even on a planet wiht 200 Hex Circumference like earth, you would need at tops 4 rail sations for a full capacity circumnavigation route. And even major cities are going to be a lot closer then that.

Turn Highspeed Rail from a building, to a Track Upgrade. Similar to how Dirt->Paved roads work.
Highspeed Rail is not that usefull for freight to being with, which is more hindered by mass then air resistance or topspeed. In fact, it might be that highspeed rails is entriely unsseary without some extra mechanics that make it worthwhile or significantly less freeAP.
Post #: 1
RE: Giving Logistics Assets sensible production and costs - 1/21/2022 8:23:07 PM   
Voker57

City level restriction is most important here, and cannot be even solved by mods. Re rail AP, manual is actually wrong and max range is 25 hexes, since cost of rail logistics is 4 AP.

< Message edited by Voker57 -- 1/21/2022 8:25:31 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Giving Logistics Assets sensible production and costs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI