Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Winter 41 Axis advice?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> The War Room >> Winter 41 Axis advice? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Winter 41 Axis advice? - 1/8/2022 8:06:20 PM   
hpalmer

1. where is a good line to hold on for the axis in winter of 41?

I have taken Leningrad & Moscow and hold a line roughly down to Stalino in late September. I can push forward to hold in front of the double rail line Rostov-Voronezh-Ryazan-Moscow-Yaroslav, but worry it is too far forward. I have rail currently about to Stalino, a loop around Kursk & Orel, and a Loop approaching Moscow from the north (Leningrad double rail), and a line stalled at Smolensk. There is so little good defensive ground in armeegruppe center and south, and while river lines look attractive, they obviously freeze eventually. Up north I resist the urge to default to river lines and try to focus on heavy woods and swamp, but there just isn't a clear line from center to south that screams: Dig in here!

2. Is a continuous unbroken line smart, or is it better to have corps groups with 3 div up, 1 div back to plug gaps and facilitate rotation out, even if it means a less continuous line?

For defense, traditionally I have liked to create Corps sized "diamond" positions with 3 divisions up like >, and 1 behind in the middle either on reserve or refit with the Corps HQ, with a depot within 3 hexes if possible. In Wite1 I built the fort units, but am noticing here the fort construction seems achingly slow to get to level 2 so I'm not sure if I should use the fort units to speed up progress to level 2 forts. I leave 1 hex gaps on either side of these corps boxes, between corps, ideally the gaps are clear terrain. This way the enemy is enticed into entering and I clobber with deliberate attacks periodically...

3. What am I doing wrong with logistics and where do I park "super depots"?

Not sure if I need to rethink my approach and I definitely am struggling to master the logistics. I will eventually park rail repair units for super-depots, (do I park on cities or on depots closest to the front) but even with a really healthy rail network, never using AI depot assist and having depots all over the map on hexes with railyards, with depot priorities set to zero unless within 4 depots of the front, then 1, 2, 3, rarely 4 unless end of line in critical area, I am getting a pittance of supply up even before the blizzard sets in. I have sent all bombers and recon to reserve, most axis allies to Soviet garrison, some armor/motorized will go to reserve and the rest into cities like moscow, leningrad, kharkov, kursk, stalino, dtown. Still cant get more than 15-25% of the supplies I need. I have Leningrad ports and railyards mostly repaired, so thought that would help a lot more, but just isn't really, even with rail solid in the baltics and then out of Leningrad via double rail towards moscow repaired, so both sea and rail connections to Germany. I have reset all infantry armies to supply priority 1 and armor/motor armies to 2, I have plenty of truck reserves. Open to ideas on what I'm missing and would love thoughts on how to better dig in for winter!
Post #: 1
RE: Winter 41 Axis advice? - 1/10/2022 8:23:59 AM   
loki100

1 - its too situational, not least there is a clear trade off. A good line for logistics etc is rubbish in terms of winning the game, a good 1941 will place you in a tricky situation in the winter etc. Given what you report as to your situation, whatever happens in the winter is irrelavant as you've all but won the game

2 - level 2 forts are not the answer, what matters is a good depot system as close as possible to the front. The key is to ruthlessly rotate low TOW divisions back to refit, do that even at the cost of weakening the front and you'll recover the situation in Feb 42, don't and you will end up with problems running into April/May

3 - there are a lot of threads on this, not least my last vs AI AAR and Carlkay's posts. The core problem is till the malus lifts in April 42 quite simply you lack the railyard capacity to push the freight to your front line. Super-depots are useful but not the answer. The key is to set up a series of pri 4 depots well back from the front on big railyards. Let these fill and then drop to pri 2 - that freight will then flow up towards the frontlines

(in reply to hpalmer)
Post #: 2
RE: Winter 41 Axis advice? - 1/23/2022 4:20:08 AM   
CatSoup

So good to able to worry about winter, I have never made it to Moscow ever even when I cheat and give myself 2 extra panzer division =(

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> The War Room >> Winter 41 Axis advice? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI