Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

BootCamp 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> BootCamp 2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BootCamp 2 - 1/24/2022 10:34:11 AM   
Jugger

If you lose part of your firebase or Airfield in Bootcamp 2, and if you recapture it do you get the points back you had previously lost in the event engine? Did also lose the battalion HQ to a random mortar strike in an improved position within the firebase. Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: BootCamp 2 - 1/24/2022 10:46:29 AM   
Crossroads

I will let Jason answer about Bootcamp 2 details, but as a general comment: don't fret too much about loosing a bootcamp session. After all, it was just that, a session at bootcamp. Have another go, with lessons learnt, hope for lady Fortuna to throw those lucky dierolls too. They are first and foremost about becoming familiar with game play tactics and mechanics.

That said, Bootcamp 2 is likely the one most dependent on getting favorable dierolls while at it, be it for building those improved positions and trenches, or not losing one's own key units to random fire like what you just described.

(in reply to Jugger)
Post #: 2
RE: BootCamp 2 - 1/24/2022 12:21:08 PM   
Jugger

I just had a minor victory. I changed tactics and kept an outpost up top left of the airfield in an improved position with a machine gun and infantry unit with a few IED's placed around the hex. It seemed to knock the enemy off guard and I had them taking flanking fire from this unit as they did not seem interested in assaulting the outpost as they all were headed to the fire base. Had another outpost up top of the center with another infantry unit and machine gun unit in an improved position but this only held out a few turns before being assaulted and overrun. I Kept disrupting the stronger enemy units so they couldn't assault which only left the enemy the weaker units that had taken losses to assault plus direct fire from the artillery unit in the improved position/trench which I only had the truck with the machine gun and the construction team left with the artillery unit. Had the engineer team with the last infantry unit and commander in the hex where the mines are removed and the battalion HQ in the rear of the fire base which is never really attacked. I didn't have time to clear the 2 x blocks as I thought maybe this would also slow the enemy down while attacking not sure if in fact this is the case. Well onto Bootcamp 3 tomorrow.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 3
RE: BootCamp 2 - 1/24/2022 12:34:59 PM   
Zap

I just lost it badly I scored a -398 lol. Aggressive little bastards those VK

(in reply to Jugger)
Post #: 4
RE: BootCamp 2 - 1/24/2022 12:56:01 PM   
jimpyle

quote:

I just lost it badly I scored a -398 lol. Aggressive little bastards those VK

Phew!!! That makes me feel a little better at getting a -3 on my second try.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 5
RE: BootCamp 2 - 1/24/2022 1:33:36 PM   
Nomowhale

I ended up with a -1. I repelled the assault and ended up destroying all the attackers. My artillery never made it to the firebase. I thought I was taking a shortcut but my convoy got stuck and had to turn around.

I have always loved the Campaign Series and this game is a just fantastic addition in an area rarely covered.

(in reply to jimpyle)
Post #: 6
RE: BootCamp 2 - 1/24/2022 3:24:58 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

If you lose part of your firebase or Airfield in Bootcamp 2, and if you recapture it do you get the points back you had previously lost in the event engine

Once you gain your points, your points will remain with you, for sure.

BUT, that doesn't mean the Viet Cong won't get points for taking part or all of your firebase.

(in reply to Nomowhale)
Post #: 7
RE: BootCamp 2 - 1/27/2022 4:37:04 AM   
Shkwaug

That was one of the most intense tutorials I ever played! I finished with a well deserved 57 points (major defeat).

I got a little unlucky in that the first VC mortar blast destroyed a couple vehicles before I realized I should move them, and one of the firebase hexes never got trenches because of RNG, but I mostly defended the firebase very badly. I made every blunder in the book from leaving my platoons overextended, not realizing the number of VC squads in the area, and watching the platoon get destroyed under a huge assault to forgetting flares existed. My "counteroffensive" to take the runway back near the end of the scenario was completely shredded, and I had to move the Engineer platoon up to defend the firebase hex because I was so low on men.

It was fun, excited to learn about helicopters in Bootcamp 3!

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 8
RE: BootCamp 2 - 1/27/2022 4:45:36 AM   
Jason Petho

Hahahah.. That's awesome! I'm glad you had a good experience and a lot of fun!!

Bootcamp 3 is more of the same, fun and nerve wracking, but delightfully a good time!

Pay attention to the instructions in detail to gain the major victory!

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 1/27/2022 4:46:18 AM >

(in reply to Shkwaug)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> BootCamp 2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI