Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Parachutists and supply - Battle of Giong Dinh

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> Parachutists and supply - Battle of Giong Dinh Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Parachutists and supply - Battle of Giong Dinh - 1/25/2022 4:32:54 PM   
con

In the battle the parachutists never get off low ammo
The briefing says that they start low but I found that all of them were initially low and no matter where I positioned my HQ they did not improve combat efficiency. Is this as planned?
Con
Post #: 1
RE: Parachutists and supply - Battle of Giong Dinh - 1/25/2022 5:00:48 PM   
Jason Petho

It might take a turn or two or three for the HQ to recover supply. Remember to ensure they aren't moving around. Every time you move them, it restarts the process.

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 1/25/2022 5:04:03 PM >

(in reply to con)
Post #: 2
RE: Parachutists and supply - Battle of Giong Dinh - 1/25/2022 7:30:49 PM   
TomWalton

A slightly different question here about Giong Dinh (but also related to supplies):

A terrific little scenario, I thought, really capturing what the mission would have been like... Only I lost ;-( !

SPs were 46-116 (Fr:VC) and I got 146 EAPs, for a total of 308 points, which wasn't enough even for a draw, even though I seemed to have accomplished the mission's objectives... Except that I didn't find the VC HQ, or any supplies.

Was that why I lost?

And if so, is there some way I can search for enemy supplies and HQs (the recon thing that some units can do...?) ? I sent units running around, hoping to stumble on them but failed to find them...

Or should I just have been more careful about sending my paras into harm's way...?

Thanks in advance (another terrific thing about this game, the wonderful support you're providing for it!)

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 3
RE: Parachutists and supply - Battle of Giong Dinh - 1/25/2022 8:34:55 PM   
Jason Petho

The particular scenario doesn't have any reconnaissance capable units, so meandering through the countryside will be the solution.

On the bright side, in the 1.01 UPDATE coming soon, I have included some additional "Porter" type units that you can hunt down to give you some additional points to ensure Victory.

(in reply to TomWalton)
Post #: 4
RE: Parachutists and supply - Battle of Giong Dinh - 1/25/2022 11:27:46 PM   
con

To clarify the supply for combat efficiency is this how it works
1. Platoons need to be within 4 hexes of the company HQ (Identified by the radio signal)
2. Company HQs cannot have moved in order to supply their subordinates?
3. Company HQs need to be within 8 hexes of Battalion HQs to get supply (ie its a daisy chain?)
4. Leadership bonuses given when stacked with leaders who have not moved

Is this correct?
Thanks

Post #: 5
RE: Parachutists and supply - Battle of Giong Dinh - 1/26/2022 1:49:17 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: con

To clarify the supply for combat efficiency is this how it works
1. Platoons need to be within 4 hexes of the company HQ (Identified by the radio signal)

It is best if they are within 4 hexes, but they don't need to be. They will attempt at a rate lower than 50% the further they are.

quote:

2. Company HQs cannot have moved in order to supply their subordinates?

They can still move, only the battalion (and higher) HQ cannot.

quote:

3. Company HQs need to be within 8 hexes of Battalion HQs to get supply (ie its a daisy chain?)

It is best if they are within 8 hexes, but they don't need to be. They will attempt at a rate lower than 50% the further they are.

quote:

Is this correct?

The leaders will give the bonuses when stacked with an HQ that hasn't moved and when they haven't moved.

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 1/26/2022 1:52:43 AM >

(in reply to con)
Post #: 6
RE: Parachutists and supply - Battle of Giong Dinh - 1/26/2022 1:56:19 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

quote:

Is this correct?

The leaders will give the bonuses when stacked with an HQ that hasn't moved and when they haven't moved.

Of course, leaders also give bonuses to combat troops, so, it is a decision where you want to prioritize the bonuses.

Combat or logistics...

Post #: 7
RE: Parachutists and supply - Battle of Giong Dinh - 1/26/2022 5:43:52 AM   
TomWalton

Thanks, Jason!

quote:

The particular scenario doesn't have any reconnaissance capable units, so meandering through the countryside will be the solution.

That makes it a bit frustrating (and possibly at the same time much more realistic: how did the French, or Americans, ever "win" there?).

Possibly a tweak to the victory conditions, making it about 50 points easier, would be in order...?

But maybe that's CS Vietnam (and the war itself): I captured the village, killed some VC (and some who maybe weren't!) and too many of my men won't be coming home... But did I actually win?

Post #: 8
RE: Parachutists and supply - Battle of Giong Dinh - 1/26/2022 6:04:48 AM   
Jason Petho

With the 1.01 UPDATE, I did add a handful of porters to increase your points.. so if you find them, your likelihood of winning will be improved.

...if you find them.. and as porters, they will move around - muahahahaha

(in reply to TomWalton)
Post #: 9
RE: Parachutists and supply - Battle of Giong Dinh - 1/26/2022 6:42:42 AM   
devoncop

quote:

ORIGINAL: TomWalton

Thanks, Jason!

quote:

That makes it a bit frustrating (and possibly at the same time much more realistic: how did the French, or Americans, ever "win" there?).

Possibly a tweak to the victory conditions, making it about 50 points easier, would be in order...?

But maybe that's CS Vietnam (and the war itself): I captured the village, killed some VC (and some who maybe weren't!) and too many of my men won't be coming home... But did I actually win?

That scenario is winnable...I found the supplies and HQ just 2 turns from the end and overran them but I had to be lucky ! Jason is apparently also going to make the location of said supplies and HQ randomised in the next patch so it has a lot of replayability.

I agree its a great scenario.

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to TomWalton)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> Parachutists and supply - Battle of Giong Dinh Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI