Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RIM 161 C (SM-3) missile runs out of energy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> RIM 161 C (SM-3) missile runs out of energy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RIM 161 C (SM-3) missile runs out of energy - 1/26/2022 11:44:16 AM   
DWReese

I understand that the ABM situation is difficult to get working perfectly. In CMO, it often works one time, and then fails the next time given the exact same scenario. Therefore, providing a scenario won't necessarily depict this what I am about to explain.

I have incoming DF-21Ds heading to a group of ships. The incoming missiles are detected a long distance away (600+ miles) by the SBX-1.

According to the database, the SM-3 (RIM-161 C) has a 200 mile range.

Due to your calculations (which are necessary, by the way) the SM-3 is allowed to fire while the incoming missiles are 500+ miles away, figuring that the interception point will match up. Unfortunately, more often than not, it doesn't. The SM-3 will run out of energy before interception.

If you try to use the WRA and tell the game to shoot at the incoming missiles at 175 miles, then the program doesn't calculate the interception point, and won't fire until the missiles are 175 miles away, and at this point they are often in a terminal mode and now won't fire at all. So, the WRA limitations are literal, and won't project the calculations the way that it does without the 25 mile limitation imposed by the WRA.

The SM-3 needs to be tweaked just a little so that the calculations match up with the interception point.

I recently used Al's Beirutdude) Fiery Cross scenario.

BTW, since these are defensive missiles, the game player doesn't fire these missiles. The calculations could work one time, and fail miserably the next.

< Message edited by DWReese -- 1/26/2022 11:45:42 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: RIM 161 C (SM-3) missile runs out of energy - 1/26/2022 9:15:22 PM   
DWReese

In an effort to provide you with a file, I zipped up and provided you with the same file that you have posted for Fiery Cross, made by Beirutdade.

In the first few minutes the Chinese launch an attack on Guam, which is defended by a THAAD battery. It, too, has the same issue. It fires off its first round of missiles from a distance designed to intercept the incoming missiles, only to have them run out of fuel. The THAAD is able to fire off some subsequent missiles which do hit, meaning that the original intercept calculation is off.

Later, SM-3 RIM-161 C) missiles experience the same thing. The whole first batch of missiles is wasted. The second batch begins hitting, but it's too late.

If the calculations were improved just slightly, then they would work much better and wouldn't run out of energy. It just needs a tweak, that's all.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 2
RE: RIM 161 C (SM-3) missile runs out of energy - 1/27/2022 2:08:14 AM   
DWReese

Attached is the portion of Al's Fiery Cross scenario.

DF-26s have been launched at Guam, which is defended by THAAD battery. The THAADs have a range of 200 miles, but they are fired early to hit the fast-moving DF-26s, which are traveling at 10000 kts. The missiles and the battery were 855 miles apart when the THAADs were fired.

Sometime after the missiles have passed their 200-mile range they all start to lose energy and self-destruct. As soon as the last THAAD has self-destructed, a second wave of THAADs is fired. The second wave generally has good success, but occasionally some stragglers get through.

The important thing here is that the entire first wave self-destructs. This happens with the RIM-161 Cs as well. Unfortunately, most ships only have a handful of RIM 161s on board, and there might not be enough time for the second wave to be launched.

The problem appears to be the same for both encounters, even though one involves the THAAD and the other the RIM 161C.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 3
RE: RIM 161 C (SM-3) missile runs out of energy - 1/29/2022 1:20:32 PM   
BeirutDude

I've noticed this at times as well.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> RIM 161 C (SM-3) missile runs out of energy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI