Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Streamer Demo Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Streamer Demo Questions Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 1:28:13 AM   
zgrssd

Watching the streams there are a few questions that came up. And I am not the only one, so why not make a thread for it?
I will try work any questions by others and any developer answer into these posts.

1. Given that it plain splits the research, what bonus does having multiple projects at once give you?
Answer: There is non inherent bonus, but it allow some extrinsic ones:
- allowing Bonuses from different Stations to apply to different project
- allowing Crash Research to be applied to all
- a bit of Legacy Support

2. If I buy back found spies or capture and recruit enemy spies, they got "Double Agent" for -20% on everything. Resulting in them getting fired for incompetence. So what use are they? Is the mechanic not just finished?
Answer: Double Agent happens to often due to bug. There is no counter to such traits and the firing happens due to Automatics doing their job

3. What does the Spy mission "Deep Cover" do?
Answer: "Plants a spy in the enemy empire at a high level, giving you much greater visibility to all enemy info and operations."

4. Does using Skipdrive massively inflate your early fuel consumption? I got the feeling it does.
Answer: "The initial Skip Drive is really only useful for in-system travel and it does use more energy and thus fuel than later drives. The initial reactor is also relatively inefficient. Upgrading both relatively quickly can significantly reduce fuel consumption as well as extend range."

5. Does having empty weapon or engine slots give anything?
I have not yet seen a streamer use all slots of a type. And if they do not, designs with "+1 Weapon/Engine Slots" seem pointless.
Answer: There is no bonus for empty slots

6. "Is there trade income? I didn't see it as a line item in the finance sheet data. Not sure if you make money from trade agreements with other empires."
Answer: You also get trade income of two types as the state.
1. The resource trade income from tariffs (based on other empires/independents buying good from you), as well as fuel sales to the private sector.
2. The bonus trade income from commerce centers built on your state space ports.

7. "Obviously it's outside the scope of the initial release, but have you and Elliot ever seriously considered implementing arms-trading?"
Answer: "Yes - well tech trading is already part of that, which includes all kinds of military technologies as well as projects that unlock new ships/station hulls but the idea of selling military ships is certainly in the plan."

8. "Another question of interest, in the preview are the ground forces icons placeholder or are you using NATO military symbols? Which could be chance or designed that the infantry symbol aligns that way."
Answer: "We deliberately went with military symbols for each troop type this time around, with different colors by faction. In a future expansion, we may do a bit more. :-)"

9. I had a bunch of Tourist questions:
- is Tourism Income taken out of the Private economy of whoever is owning those tourists, or is it generated from nowhere?
- do Tourists actually travel around within the Region of space, or just go Home->The one place to visit->Back home?
Answer: Yes and only one travel. The traget is picked based on distance and scenery value.

10. "Obviously it's outside the scope of the initial release, but have you and Elliot ever seriously considered implementing arms-trading?"
Answer: "Yes - well tech trading is already part of that, which includes all kinds of military technologies as well as projects that unlock new ships/station hulls but the idea of selling military ships is certainly in the plan."

11. Numerous mining questions.
Answers:
- there is no more seperation between gas and normal mining stations. One item can now mine all resoure types, at different rates
- Mining stations cover an area (indicated in the UI together with weapon range) and the area inrease with technology
- while Planets can directly interact with mining stations via shuttles, they still can not mine even a asteroid ring themself

12. Planetary Invasions
Answer: You need Boarding Pods to deploy troops during a orbital invasion, but when used against space targets the pods still use marines

13. "I noticed in the previews that the exploration ships send out probes, but when viewed they seem to come in and out of a metal wall in the ships hull. Is there a missing prob bay type mesh, or just something that was viewed as too minor to add in that detail?"
Answer: "Correct, it was viewed as too minor a detail to worry about. In general, those little drones should exit/enter from a hangar bay entrance if a ship has one[...]"

14. "Concerning fleets, are you able to set them to jump together and move in warp at the speed of the slowest ship. Based on the previews it seems like fleets end up getting separated due to different jump sequence or warp speed."
Answer: "This is one of those things most people probably haven't noticed, but we've put a lot of effort in DW2 into getting fleets to stay together, to jump at the speed of the slowest ship and to fight in formation. It's still possible you might end up with some stragglers, especially if extremely different ships are in the same fleet or if you have the fleet formation/ship management automated which sometimes may swap in a ship that's farther away, but overall it's much better than DW1 in my experience."

15. "Will there be gender diversity for the races, at least female characters/portraits for human. I can see this being less an issue for other races, them being less differentiated as a racial structure (e.g., insects)."
Answer: "Not in the initial release, but allowing for both male and female character art for the human faction is in our high priority post-release plans. The way the system was initially setup, it requires additional work to support more variations and we ran out of time for that before release after implementing the male set.

For the other alien factions, we expect for the most part to leave that to the player's imagination."

16. "Any thoughts or future considerations for after battle reports that summarize defense and weapon effectiveness for your ships and enemy ships? Obviously this would be tied to tech ability to derive those measures. Was good to have them in games like sword of the stars, etc to see what was doing or absorbing most damage."
Answer: "Yes, we'd like to eventually do something like that, but we won't have that in for the initial release and it's a relatively tricky one because of the nature of some battles in DW2. It's something on our wish list for future updates/expansions. "

17. "Question here about the possibility for multiple scouting target when we do use our scout in manual has we use to do in DWU with the shift key? Any possibility to see this in the near futur or maybe the posibility to scout all the asteroid in one clic maybe? "

18. "And a second though about maybe a way to have the possibility to pin a note on the map?I guess this could be useful"

19. "Not sure if I am missing it, but do ships get their empire flag painted on the hull or some distinctive texture treatment that differentiates it from other empires of same race that will have the same ship set? I am curious what happens when two fleets of the same race come together, are you able to easily make out your ships vs. theirs in the chaos of combat."

20. Erik mentioned some things about the Population count matering for ground combat over here. In particular:
Militia Units will spawn, with numbers based on Population. Troops on large colonies will heal (recover) faster.
My questions about these parts are:
1. Does the Assimilation level or Happiness of the local population on the Planet mater for that? i.e., how much will they help recent invaders?
2. What about the Assimilation ahd Happiness for that species across the empire? Would having a large, happy bases of humans help dealing with that one, freshly covered, still unhappy human planet?
3. Does the race of the stationed troops matching the population on the planet mater?
4. What about Blockades and a Robot or Clone Facilities?

21. "What are the differences between the ship settings of aggressive, neutral or cautious[...]?"
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=5140215
Answer:
* an Aggressive ship will focus on maximizing its own firepower without worrying so much about the enemy's firepower. This often results in it closing to short range regardless.
* a neutral ship will try to consider the factors I described above and find a way to maximize its firepower while still limiting the enemy's firepower as much as possible.
* a cautious ship will prioritize avoiding the enemy's firepower as much as possible while still being able to use some of its own weapons.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 2/3/2022 12:50:19 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 1:28:51 AM   
zgrssd

[reserved space]

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 2
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 3:43:00 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd
1. Given that it plain splits the research, what bonus does having multiple projects at once give you?

Mostly it's situational - there is no extra bonus for parallel research but we thought some folks might appreciate the option. Different projects have different research bonuses as you play, so I find that there are times when I want to work on a bigger project long-term and have some smaller ones that I have more bonuses in researching in parallel. Also, only projects that you currently are researching can get "crash research" to double the research speed for a price. While this is quite expensive, it also prevents the project from having a critical failure.

quote:

2. If I buy back found spies or capture and recruit enemy spies, they got "Double Agent" for -20% on everything. Resulting in them getting fired for incompetence. So what use are they? Is the mechanic not just finished?

That's a minor bug that's on our list right now. There are more being captured than there should be and "Double Agent" is happening far more often than it should. The firing for incompetence will only happen if you have the management of those characters automated. If it's on manual, they'll only be dismissed if you choose to do so.

quote:

3. What does the Spy mission "Deep Cover" do?

Plants a spy in the enemy empire at a high level, giving you much greater visibility to all enemy info and operations.

quote:

4. Does using Skipdrive massively inflate your early fuel consumption? I got the feeling it does.

The initial Skip Drive is really only useful for in-system travel and it does use more energy and thus fuel than later drives. The initial reactor is also relatively inefficient. Upgrading both relatively quickly can significantly reduce fuel consumption as well as extend range.

quote:

No, unused slots are simply not part of the final ship design. They are potential bays, but are not required to be used.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 5:21:28 AM   
zgrssd

Thanks Eric, I added them.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 9:48:45 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

Mostly it's situational - there is no extra bonus for parallel research but we thought some folks might appreciate the option. Different projects have different research bonuses as you play, so I find that there are times when I want to work on a bigger project long-term and have some smaller ones that I have more bonuses in researching in parallel. Also, only projects that you currently are researching can get "crash research" to double the research speed for a price. While this is quite expensive, it also prevents the project from having a critical failure.

I'm sorry but this makes NO sense... even if you have different bonuses in different technologies you are better of doing them one by one from a mathematical perspective. This "benefit" is just an illusion and just entice people that don't do basic math to make bad decisions.

No hard feelings I hope, but i think this is a pretty bad mechanic that servers NO real purpose.

The only small benefit you could "possibly" gain is if you increase the bonuses during the time you have them under research, but that is something you can control even easier when focusing as you will even easier plan what technologies you will do next and focus on those bonuses specifically.

If you can research 3 technologies in parallel and tech A take 20 years, tech B and C take 5 years... are you really going to research them all so tech A take 60 years and tech B and C take 15 years.... why not focus in tech B and get if after 5 years, then tech C and get that after a total of 10 years and lastly tech A and get that one after a total of 30 years?!??

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 1/27/2022 9:57:27 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 10:14:47 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorgen_CAB

quote:

quote:

I'm sorry but this makes NO sense... even if you have different bonuses in different technologies you are better of doing them one by one from a mathematical perspective. This "benefit" is just an illusion and just entice people that don't do basic math to make bad decisions.

No hard feelings I hope, but i think this is a pretty bad mechanic that servers NO real purpose.

The only small benefit you could "possibly" gain is if you increase the bonuses during the time you have them under research, but that is something you can control even easier when focusing as you will even easier plan what technologies you will do next and focus on those bonuses specifically.

If you can research 3 technologies in parallel and tech A take 20 years, tech B and C take 5 years... are you really going to research them all so tech A take 60 years and tech B and C take 15 years.... why not focus in tech B and get if after 5 years, then tech C and get that after a total of 10 years and lastly tech A and get that one after a total of 30 years?!??

You can crash reserach each of them, doubling each ones speed.

With 2 Research project doing crash course, you double the effective Science. So that is one use stations effectively.

Not a big thing of course. Infact, I think the default split should be at 1 Project at a time.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 1/27/2022 10:15:39 AM >

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 6
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 10:47:35 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You can crash reserach each of them, doubling each ones speed.

With 2 Research project doing crash course, you double the effective Science. So that is one use stations effectively.

Not a big thing of course. Infact, I think the default split should be at 1 Project at a time.

No... you still just double the research for half of the research if one of them is crash researched... if you do them both it would still be the same if you do them one by one and crash the research... there is NO benefit for doing crash research from a research speed perspective during concurrent research.

If you only crash one and not the other it means the second one will have twice the time to get a disastrous failing as well, so I don't see any benefit in doing it this way what so ever unless there is something behind the scenes I don't know about.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 1/27/2022 11:27:11 AM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 7
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 12:59:47 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Jorgen,

It's totally fine to just research one at a time. For those who wish, the option to research two or three in parallel is in there as well.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 8
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 1:12:58 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

Hi Jorgen,

It's totally fine to just research one at a time. For those who wish, the option to research two or three in parallel is in there as well.

Regards,

- Erik

That is a nice theory. Unfortunately:
1. Currently the defaul is 3. Meaning you tripple later reserach time, unless you do something.
2. Even if you wanted to use that, there is no mathematical or mechanical reason to do so.

Back when the split was enforced by the gamerules, it made sense.
As it is implemented right now? It can help nobody, and will actively hinder every new player. This is not something you should end up with at release

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 1/27/2022 1:14:08 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 1:24:21 PM   
KingHalford

quote:

1. Currently the defaul is 3. Meaning you tripple later reserach time, unless you do something.

That's not right. There's no difference to the overall research time later in the tree if you're researching one or three at once, assuming there are no mechanics to aid/punish simultaneous projects. You're getting to point x at the same time providing that the current last research goal is no closer than X-3.

There is a benefit however: if, like me, you like to have manual research goals but sometimes forget to change it, you're now researching three at once and so less likely to have wasted time.

There is a mechanical reason too: I don't always need a tech immediately, in fact often I'd rather wait for several tech upgrades at once so I don't have to do three Station redesigns instead of just one.

< Message edited by KingHalford -- 1/27/2022 1:26:13 PM >

Ben "BATTLEMODE"
www.eXplorminate.co

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 10
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 1:25:40 PM   
Erik Rutins

Zgrssd,

quote:

That is a nice theory. Unfortunately:
2. Even if you wanted to use that, there is no mathematical or mechanical reason to do so.

Back when the split was enforced by the gamerules, it made sense.
As it is implemented right now? It can help nobody, and will actively hinder every new player. This is not something you should end up with at release

I think you're misunderstanding me completely. I'm not arguing that for min/maxers researching three at a time is preferable. I do understand the points you are making and the design choices. Elliot and I have discussed this many times and we're comfortable with the current options. I'm just saying the option is there and that even knowing the "optimal" method, I find myself using it from time to time in certain situations.

All new games start out researching one project at a time. Multiple concurrent projects only become available as you get enough research stations to support that option in the game.

This is certainly not something that will hinder players or should be removed. It's an extra option that some may ignore and others may appreciate. It's also how things effectively worked in DW1 (up to three projects at a time).

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 1/27/2022 1:33:05 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 11
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 1:29:21 PM   
KingHalford

I understand why this is an issue with games that attract mix/max brain types, but I really dislike this trend I'm seeing for gamers to be demanding games to have all their nuance streamlined out of them for the sake of "efficiency". Optimisation is for performance speed, not gameplay mechanics. For that, you want elegance, and calculus methods and elegance are two very different things.

Sometimes it's just nice to have options you know? If I want aerodynamics I'll go cycling, but when I'm playing a game I like to experience choice.

< Message edited by KingHalford -- 1/27/2022 1:30:50 PM >

Ben "BATTLEMODE"
www.eXplorminate.co

Post #: 12
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 1:57:57 PM   
Darkmater

quote:

I have not yet seen a streamer use all slots of a type. And if they do not, designs with "+1 Weapon/Engine Slots" seem pointless.

Doesn't having less items on a ship reduce ship mass, thus increasing speed/maneuverability? In DWU as you added components, ship speed and turning reduced due to mass.

< Message edited by Darkmater -- 1/27/2022 1:58:24 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 13
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 2:00:50 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

The problem for me is that it is not an option, why do you ever want to use it as it does not do anything meaningful?!?

That is why I have trouble with it... this is not even min/max either. Do you want a million dollars in ten years or do you want 100.000 dollars every year for the next ten years?!?

As for Universe there was no option to research one at a time, you were forced to do one in each category, so I don't see the comparison as a good one.

I'm not a min/max either, I just add one plus one and this simply jumped out to me as why would I ever do this as it does not actually give me anything other than a disadvantage. My main issue is that the game sort of present this as if it is beneficial and allot of players will likely just do it because they can and don't reflect if it is a good thing or not.

(in reply to KingHalford)
Post #: 14
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 2:15:18 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkmater
Doesn't having less items on a ship reduce ship mass, thus increasing speed/maneuverability? In DWU as you added components, ship speed and turning reduced due to mass.

Sure, but design bays and the ship size are not directly the same. You can fill up ship size and still have design bays open, but if you choose not to fill all your bays and also don't max out on size for your hull, that would have a similar effect as in DW1.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Darkmater)
Post #: 15
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 2:16:12 PM   
Darkmater

I see it as a benefit when you get too repeatable research at the end. I don't want to have to micromanage repeatable. I would like to just set it to keep rolling 3-6 of them (because it looked like you could do up to six). Furthermore, if there is going to be scientist specialization, bonuses, etc. seems like a mechanic that will grow and balance with the game.

One at time research in today's 4x game is antiquated. That being said, I am coming from another huge 4x space strategy game and believe developers need to create something that satisfies old DWU players, but also provides some of the advancements seen in other big 4x games to attract broader audiences (like me). cough federations, megastructures, galactic community... cough cough

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 16
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 2:20:22 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

The problem for me is that it is not an option, why do you ever want to use it as it does not do anything meaningful?!?
That is why I have trouble with it... this is not even min/max either. Do you want a million dollars in ten years or do you want 100.000 dollars every year for the next ten years?!?

Well, I did try to explain that above. You may disagree and choose to never use it.

quote:

As for Universe there was no option to research one at a time, you were forced to do one in each category, so I don't see the comparison as a good one.

You are not forced to research two or three concurrent projects in DW2 either, you can do just one.

quote:

I'm not a min/max either, I just add one plus one and this simply jumped out to me as why would I ever do this as it does not actually give me anything other than a disadvantage. My main issue is that the game sort of present this as if it is beneficial and allot of players will likely just do it because they can and don't reflect if it is a good thing or not.

You may find some situations in the game where you decide differently, but mainly we just wanted to give players the choice.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 17
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 2:39:09 PM   
Erik Rutins

Perhaps the best compromise here is to make sure that as your research bases grow and you can research concurrent projects, that you don't automatically use the maximum (unless you turn it back down to 1) but that it stays at 1 unless you manually add more projects.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 18
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 3:00:20 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

quote:

Well, I did try to explain that above. You may disagree and choose to never use it.

quote:

You are not forced to research two or three concurrent projects in DW2 either, you can do just one.

quote:

You may find some situations in the game where you decide differently, but mainly we just wanted to give players the choice.

Regards,

- Erik

Sure... no disrespect to you, the team or anything because the game is truly awesome and this will not detract my enjoyment of it at all.

I just don't understand why the option was not done in a way I would ever consider using it. You could easily have given some efficiency bonus for multiple research so there would be both benefits and drawbacks with both. That would have made it a bit more sense.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 1/27/2022 3:02:35 PM >

Post #: 19
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 3:24:51 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

I just don't understand why the option was not done in a way I would ever consider using it. You could easily have given some efficiency bonus for multiple research so there would be both benefits and drawbacks with both. That would have made it a bit more sense.

From a pure game design standpoint, I understand and agree with what you've said. The minor incentives of concurrent crash research and running side projects with much higher research bonuses don't make up for the optimization of getting a tech into your ships and economy faster.

At the same time though, there's a more philosophical question of verisimilitude within the living galaxy. If we gave some kind of additional efficiency bonus for multiple concurrent project, why would splitting your research across three concurrent projects make you effectively better at researching those projects? Why would it cost you say 3000 research to focus everyone on a new hyperdrive, but only say 2000 research for that same hyperdrive if you were also researching two other projects at the same time? Outside of pure game design, how would you rationalize that? I can imagine some, but none were convincing enough for me or Elliot to opt for the pure game design choice there.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 20
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 3:28:26 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

quote:

There are a number of Specialized Subhulls Designs.
You got the Base Frigate. And then behind more science are the Fast Frigates and the Damage focussed Frigates.
They are speed/damage focussed, because they have extra slots (over the baseic one) in the respective category.

The problem is, that I never have even seen someone use all the base designs slots. Meaning that any specialized subhull is pointless.
It does not mater if you got 6 or 7 Engine Slots, if you never have the weight capacity to use more then 3-4!

I hope I am wrong.
I hope there is minatursation or hull size increaes further down, that means you might actually run out of slots eventually.
I hope there is now a passive bonus to the hulltype.
I hope for something like "+10% per unused type specific slot". Which makes those slot usefull even if you can not use them.

(in reply to Darkmater)
Post #: 21
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 3:37:42 PM   
Erik Rutins

I think you've misunderstood the paradigm for the hulls vs. the designs. Most hulls will have more bays than you can use within the hull size. The point is not to use all of them, but to choose the direction you want to specialize your design in and use all of those. So you definitely may build a design that uses all the engine bays, or all the weapon bays, or all the defense bays, but you will likely have to compromise and have fewer bays used in other areas compared to a balanced design to fit within the hull size limits. The specialized/upgraded hulls allow you options for further specialization that the lower tech/base hulls do not. They also increase the maximum hull size to allow you to better make use of those options. A basic Human, Escort for example only has two weapon bays, but a Heavy Escort has three along with a larger max size, etc.

Adding bonuses for unused bays would make no sense within this system. You still get the advantages as in DW1 for unused size. Certain hulls also have built in hull bonuses that differentiate them better by role.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 22
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 3:40:30 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

quote:

From a pure game design standpoint, I understand and agree with what you've said. The minor incentives of concurrent crash research and running side projects with much higher research bonuses don't make up for the optimization of getting a tech into your ships and economy faster.

At the same time though, there's a more philosophical question of verisimilitude within the living galaxy. If we gave some kind of additional efficiency bonus for multiple concurrent project, why would splitting your research across three concurrent projects make you effectively better at researching those projects? Why would it cost you say 3000 research to focus everyone on a new hyperdrive, but only say 2000 research for that same hyperdrive if you were also researching two other projects at the same time? Outside of pure game design, how would you rationalize that? I can imagine some, but none were convincing enough for me or Elliot to opt for the pure game design choice there.

Regards,

- Erik

Have you actually ever seen research work like they do in a game.... ;)

There a millions of reason why you would like to split research into many different areas in real life... first of all allot of research in different areas are depending on each other, the other is administration, making sure you are not duplicating work and pure interest and devotion of the scientific community.

Not to mention the cost of switching specialised equipment, lab buildings, personnel that you need for different types of research... In real life there is a steep curve of diminishing return of investment into specific areas of science after a certain point. The other VERY important thing about real life is the we don't know where something will lead... we don't know the future as we do in a game that has a tech tree.

I think i could go on and on why concurrent research should and would be way more efficient in real life. ;)

In my opinion I could see that the game simply had different pools of research in different areas that would be way more realistic, but you also would need more research period unless you want to wait 50-100 years between technologies I suppose. Each step would need to be much smaller so you feel there is some progress.

I have no issue with how the research model work in the game, it is a tried and proved method for games and work well.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 1/27/2022 3:45:53 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 4:01:31 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yeah, those were the same rationalizations we considered, it just wasn't as convincing to us that there was a need to make concurrent research more efficient. We'll have another chat about this before release though. I appreciate the input from the community.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 24
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 4:02:09 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

There are a number of Specialized Subhulls Designs.
You got the Base Frigate. And then behind more science are the Fast Frigates and the Damage focussed Frigates.
They are speed/damage focussed, because they have extra slots (over the baseic one) in the respective category.

The problem is, that I never have even seen someone use all the base designs slots. Meaning that any specialized subhull is pointless.
It does not mater if you got 6 or 7 Engine Slots, if you never have the weight capacity to use more then 3-4!

I hope I am wrong.
I hope there is minatursation or hull size increaes further down, that means you might actually run out of slots eventually.
I hope there is now a passive bonus to the hulltype.
I hope for something like "+10% per unused type specific slot". Which makes those slot usefull even if you can not use them.

I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle... if you design a Patrol Escort you probably start with the engine sections as that is the defining feature of that design, otherwise you might as well just use the standard Escort. If you use a Heavy Escort you start with the weapons as that is the defining feature of that ship type. You then go from there and see what other compromises you have to make to fit within the weight limitation.

If you do it this way then the different hulls do have a purpose, they also can have individual small bonuses to enhance them. A patrol escort might say have 10% speed bonus while the heavy escort have a 10% savings on weapons energy or something.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 1/27/2022 4:32:24 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 25
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 4:12:37 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

Yeah, those were the same rationalizations we considered, it just wasn't as convincing to us that there was a need to make concurrent research more efficient. We'll have another chat about this before release though. I appreciate the input from the community.

If simulation was something game designer was interested in there should simply be a differentiation between theoretical and practical science and most of the time what you get should have been more of a black box. Once in a while the researcher would give you a probable practical technology you can decide to reject or invest more into. You might eventually discover you invested in something that turns out to be a dead end, but at the same time your scientists discovered something far more valuable but for a very different purpose. Like a new energy source instead of a new engine type.

Not sure it would have gone too well with the gaming community to leave things too much into what seems to be random, even if it always will be weighted randoms. You should always be able to get where you want, you just don't know how much effort it will take or how many other different paths it will lead to doing so.

It would also have meant that you would need many different technologies to a specific practical application of something like a new engine... there just would not be any direct defined research points to get there, just an approximation.

Personally I would like such a research model... but not sure the gaming community is ready for it though. :)

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 1/27/2022 4:16:34 PM >

Post #: 26
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 5:58:01 PM   
Cauldyth

Yes, speaking as someone who does research for a living, there's a point of diminishing returns. Doubling the number of research personnel on a project does not typically result in halving the time to achieve an outcome.

Post #: 27
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 8:03:31 PM   
Darkmater

Is there trade income? I didn't see it as a line item in the finance sheet data. Not sure if you make money from trade agreements with other empires.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 28
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 8:14:26 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

Is there trade income? I didn't see it as a line item in the finance sheet data. Not sure if you make money from trade agreements with other empires.

It is the civilian part of your civilisation that make income through moving resources to and from their stations. It is the same as moving resources within your empire.

(in reply to Darkmater)
Post #: 29
RE: Streamer Demo Questions - 1/27/2022 9:31:30 PM   
Erik Rutins

You also get trade income of two types as the state.

1. The resource trade income from tariffs (based on other empires/independents buying good from you), as well as fuel sales to the private sector.

2. The bonus trade income from commerce centers built on your state space ports.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 1/27/2022 9:32:05 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Streamer Demo Questions Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI