Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 9/16/2003 5:10:48 PM   
BrubakerII

Some excellent tips Capitaine :)

Rolfor I understand your difficultly in seeing the big picture. It is true that there are many many units to comprehend in a scenario. What C says is ture - start with the smallest scenario you can and buiold up to the bigger ones. The smallest would be the western scenario and probably played as German. I say that because there are pretty much 3 areas of concern to focus on - the south, the north, and the russian pocket.

Personally when I open a game turn I go immediately to the sector that I have been thinking of in my sleep :cool: :rolleyes: I ussually have figured out a dozen ways to approach a problem but of course none fit the ever changing situation ;)

After I have studied my area of interest, I tend to go the 'hot spots' and have a look at them, before deciding on a plan of action overall.

You have said that focussing on a division has helped a bit. This is a good plan even though the game is probably slightly beyond individual division scale, especially as the russian.

I would recommend the following. In any given game, you will no doubt have an idea of what you would like to achieve. Lets call this the overall plan. When you approach a turn, first look at what the opposition has done in his/her last turn. Has he/she caused a crisis? Has anything happenned that may cause a drastic change in your plan? No? Then next I would head toward where your mind and thoughts have been dwelling the last 24 hours (whoops I'm a grognard :p ).

Instead of focussing on a division, focus on the combat advisor and a single combat. Think about where you want to end up at the end of the next turn, what you have to destroy/move/capture to achieve this goal. Using the combat advisor, see what units will be necessary to achieve that task, where that will leave your force at the end, what units you have to follow up.

The advisor is the key. Looking at each possible battle and the units involved to conduct these battles, your mind will soon start to 'paint' the picture of battle for you.

Hope this has helped.

regards

SSG Beta Tester

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 1
Re: Thankyou! and 2 easy questions ... - 9/17/2003 6:04:32 AM   
Adam Parker

[QUOTE=Capitaine]If TAO/KP were a board wargame, it would be a "monster game". New players generally aren't prepared for that degree of challenge and effort.[/QUOTE]

Capitaine nice tips although I'd disagree with you on this. At regimental level I'd rate these games as medium denisty. I'm not a monster player but can easily manage the two fronts of Korsun Pocket and in fact find just playing one of the fronts too little to concentrate on.

I just don't want folks to be put off by the term "monster". These games have very manageable force loads imo and at 3km per hex the maps are easy to grasp too.

Rolfor you can create and print a screen dump of the map - such a thing will be easy to manipulate on screen with a paint program too. What you'll greatly benefit from though, may be a general campaign map - most people can visualise the Ardennes - St Vith, Bastogne, Stavelot in relation to each other. The vicinity of Korsun is another matter. So try to find a historical map showing Korsun Airfield, Shpola, Zvenigorodka and Lisyanka for example, to orient yourself. That should help you become comfortable in managing your divisions there. Then have a go at the "Battle History" contained with the game to see where forces were aiming for and why.

I thought from a previous thread you already owned the game btw?

Adam.

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI