Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

82nd airborne query

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> 82nd airborne query Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
82nd airborne query - 1/28/2022 3:51:57 PM   
Phoenix100

Is the 82nd Airborne scenario not meant to be played as Allies? I've been playing as Allies, without FOW, and watching the AI. I make no moves as Allies, none at all, play no cards, do nothing. Just roll the turns along and watch the AI. This is on slow settings, at the hardest level.

I've noticed lots of German units - especially HQs - moving around aimlessly, shifting first one way then the other, spending whole turns going from A to B then back again and so on. You might think this was 'probing', but nothing follows from it, because I've seen very very few attacks. No attempt with Pieper's formation and all the other units coming in south of Stavelot to use the La Gleize/Stoumont road and contest the defenders there. Turn 1 the AI always pulls back from there and starts digging in around Stavelot and Malmedy. No attempt to go forward past Stavelot. The AI makes headway along the thinly contested Baraque/Manhay line, but only very slowly, despite me doing nothing. The 116th sits around at the bottom of the map doing nothing. Am I missing something (like, these short scenarios are only meant to be played as Axis, or, everything is pretty rigidly scripted and the AI expects that I should be attacking at Stavelot and hence digs in there and doesn't try to advance, even if I do nothing?)?

UPDATE: When I try it on 'normal' AI difficulty - same thing, me doing nothing - it seems to do much better and be more aggressive....

< Message edited by Phoenix100 -- 1/28/2022 4:48:41 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: 82nd airborne query - 1/28/2022 5:01:45 PM   
Jagger2002

The 82nd Airborne scenario is meant to be played as the Germans. It is a good scenario as the Germans.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 2
RE: 82nd airborne query - 1/28/2022 5:11:18 PM   
Phoenix100

Thanks Jagger. Really? I hadn't read anywhere that certain scenarios were meant to be played from a certain side. How do I find out which side you're meant to play from in any given scenario? And what about Wacht am Rhein, the big campaign - is that meant to be played from the german side? How do I find out? Thanks!

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 3
RE: 82nd airborne query - 1/28/2022 5:17:05 PM   
Jagger2002

When you first select the scenario, the settings window opens. In the opponent section, it is already set with a recommended human and AI side. If you check, 82nd Airborne has the Germans set for human player. In many of the scenarios but not all, playing the recommended AI side can be a fun game.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 4
RE: 82nd airborne query - 1/28/2022 6:07:34 PM   
Phoenix100

Ah. Thanks. I was hoping I would be able to play the US, defending, against a really good AI that, when set on highest settings, would wipe me off the board (it says that in the manual) - but I see now that to get an AI that will do that I would need to go with the recommended side, which - no surprise - is usually to place the AI as the defender. That's understandable, since producing a competent attacking AI is problematic in any game.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 5
RE: 82nd airborne query - 1/28/2022 7:07:08 PM   
Jagger2002

If you want to play the US and have the AI give you a tough game as it attacks you, try Arracourt as the US. It is a rough one. And that is one recommended for play as Germans.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 6
RE: 82nd airborne query - 1/28/2022 7:33:20 PM   
Phoenix100

Thanks. Yes. I have tried it. What about the big Wacht am Rhein scenario, though? Is it no good playing that as Allies? I mean, is the AI not really capable of handling being on the offensive in that scenario?

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 7
RE: 82nd airborne query - 1/28/2022 8:32:04 PM   
Goodenough

quote:

What about the big Wacht am Rhein scenario, though?

I'm at turn 21 playing the US in WaR (AI difficulty set to hard) and can compare it to the where I was playing as the Germans (AI difficulty set to challenging)

I'd reached Trois Ponts in the North, taken Houffalize and Bastogne in the centre as the Germans.

The German AI has struggled in the North as I have prioritised the defence there. It has takeb Ligneuville and is pressing hard.

It has taken Houffalize and most of Bastogne. Overall it is behind but it is a good challenge and great fun, I wouldn't want it to be that much better.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 8
RE: 82nd airborne query - 1/28/2022 8:33:45 PM   
Jagger2002

I haven't played either of the two big monster scenarios. They are too big a time investment for me at this point. So I can't comment on them. I haven't looked but I suspect the recommended sides are probably the attackers. Of course, the ideal game is going to be PBEM. They are big though.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 9
RE: 82nd airborne query - 1/28/2022 8:59:18 PM   
Phoenix100

Thanks Goodenough. Maybe I'll try it and see.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 10
RE: 82nd airborne query - 1/29/2022 9:15:29 AM   
altipueri

I would like more small scenarios if possible.

Manhay crossroads is where Ross S Carter of 82nd airborne was shot - as recounted in his book "Those Devils In Baggy Pants"

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/918419.Those_Devils_in_Baggy_Pants
--

Incidentally, I played an old Combat Mission 1 (CMBO) scenario set near Manhay a couple of days ago - Barkmann in the Ardennes (or some such name). It took about an hour. Of course, a victory always makes you like a scenario.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> 82nd airborne query Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI