Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Directive 21 1941-1945 (V4.61)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Directive 21 1941-1945 (V4.61) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Directive 21 1941-1945 (V4.61) - 1/1/2022 12:14:22 AM   
BigDuke66

Happy New Year!

Now, do I miss something or why are Stab, II. and III./Sturzkampfgeschwader 1 missing?
Being part of Luftflotte 2 VIII. Fliegerkorps it should be in support of AGC according to:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schematische_Kriegsgliederung_der_Wehrmacht_am_22._Juni_1941#Luftwaffe
http://niehorster.org/011_germany/41-oob/luftwaffe/flk_08.html

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 61
RE: Directive 21 1941-1945 (V4.61) - 1/21/2022 9:44:12 PM   
BigDuke66

Now, maybe I assume wrong but the much earlier release of the 12th Finish division is an error or not?
All other Finish troops in that area only release by turn 12.

And one question, how do I properly handle rail repair. Readme mentions that this is important but how this is achieve if I only can move them and pray that something happens where I concentrated them, what is often enough not the case.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 62
RE: Directive 21 1941-1945 (V4.61) - 1/22/2022 4:45:40 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

And one question, how do I properly handle rail repair. Readme mentions that this is important but how this is achieve if I only can move them and pray that something happens where I concentrated them, what is often enough not the case.

The game will tend to use your auto-repair on RR hexes near your RR repair units. So if you keep railing them forward towards the front, the rail will tend to grow in that direction.

This is an imperfect process, as when you reach a junction the game doesn't know which way you want to go so it will grow a spur in every direction. Also I find the game likes to link up your supply points, so it will favour directions which actually point back home, or perpendicular to the front. However, overall I like the approach as it means that if you forget about the units for a couple of turns it won't matter much- at least something is getting repaired.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 63
RE: Directive 21 1941-1945 (V4.61) - 1/25/2022 4:53:37 PM   
BigDuke66

Thanks.

Another find, LI. Korps was, since it went into action, always part of AG South, but it comes in with color set for AG Center.
And 11. River Patrol comes out in a major river hex besides Riga, what can only happen if that hex is somehow converted. Would be better to let it appear in Riga.

< Message edited by BigDuke66 -- 1/25/2022 7:27:43 PM >

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 64
RE: Directive 21 1941-1945 (V4.61) - 1/25/2022 5:19:10 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

And 11. River Patrol comes out in a major river hex besides Riga, what can only happen if that hex is somehow converted. Would be better to let it appear in Riga.

I think it would be better to omit the River Patrols from the scenario entirely. What purpose do they serve? The only obvious thing is that they can go zooming off into the Soviet rear to cut rail lines- which is hardly realistic.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 65
RE: Directive 21 1941-1945 (V4.61) - 1/25/2022 7:26:28 PM   
BigDuke66

Well that would only be another minor restriction for the human player not to use them that way.
I see no reasons why all the rivers behind my lines have to be converted cumbersome by the few engineer units that can act on major river hexes.

Post #: 66
RE: Directive 21 1941-1945 (V4.61) - 1/26/2022 8:42:26 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

Well that would only be another minor restriction for the human player not to use them that way.
I see no reasons why all the rivers behind my lines have to be converted cumbersome by the few engineer units that can act on major river hexes.

I've been converting them with MP units during the prolonged winter where they're frozen and therefore passable to all units. If converting hexes is the only purpose of these units they could be smaller and fewer (I note that I have three in the Dnepr basin alone).

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 67
RE: Directive 21 1941-1945 (V4.61) - 1/29/2022 11:49:25 PM   
BigDuke66

One thing graphically, why is deep water in the Black see or some lakes not dark but of similar color like the shallow water?

Now, I remember years back for a different East Front scenario digging through some sources and what also was hampered in the first winter was the rail transport. The Western locomotives were just not made for the cold Russian winter and a lot malfunctioned. I suggest to also let rail transport capacity drop for the Germans in the first winter.

PS. Maybe someone can help me with the Marder series. Not so easy to understand all the conversion stuff and what was used when. What still leaves me puzzled is that the Marder I has only an AT strength of 5 while Marder II/III has 11. Afaik either the 7.5 cm Pak 40 or the 7.62 cm Pak 36(r) was used, but armor penetration rates were pretty similar. I know that penetration is not the only factor for the in-game values but I can't understand that Marder I is less then half of that of Marder II/III. An error or why is that so?

< Message edited by BigDuke66 -- 1/30/2022 12:40:51 AM >

Post #: 68
RE: Directive 21 1941-1945 (V4.61) - 1/30/2022 6:41:38 AM   
cathar1244

quote:

One thing graphically, why is deep water in the Black see or some lakes not dark but of similar color like the shallow water?

In working on large maps, I've seen a bug that chooses the wrong "water color" for deep water when the water is located beyond a certain hex column and not directly connected to deep water that is to the "left" of that hex column. Or something similar.

Cheers

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 69
RE: Directive 21 1941-1945 (V4.61) - 1/30/2022 3:17:59 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Now, I remember years back for a different East Front scenario digging through some sources and what also was hampered in the first winter was the rail transport. The Western locomotives were just not made for the cold Russian winter and a lot malfunctioned. I suggest to also let rail transport capacity drop for the Germans in the first winter.

It does fall, by nearly half. Also force supply drops quite a bit, though it's better in the Winter than in the mud phase.

Ultimately in this scenario supply and the various weather effects are your main opponent. It's only if those two have beaten you that the Soviets will be able to mop up what's left.

quote:

PS. Maybe someone can help me with the Marder series. Not so easy to understand all the conversion stuff and what was used when. What still leaves me puzzled is that the Marder I has only an AT strength of 5 while Marder II/III has 11. Afaik either the 7.5 cm Pak 40 or the 7.62 cm Pak 36(r) was used, but armor penetration rates were pretty similar. I know that penetration is not the only factor for the in-game values but I can't understand that Marder I is less then half of that of Marder II/III. An error or why is that so?

As they all seem to have used 7.62 modified to take the 7.5 PAK 40 ammunition, it seems like it's a mistake on the part of Norm (!!) when he created the original database.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 70
RE: Directive 21 1941-1945 (V4.61) - 1/30/2022 4:15:17 PM   
Zovs

Is the latest version in the first post?

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

Post #: 71
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Directive 21 1941-1945 (V4.61) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI