Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Experimenting with PO.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Experimenting with PO. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Experimenting with PO. - 1/31/2022 1:42:39 PM   
JJMcBlaze

Hey all,

I was playing around with the scenario editor and the whole PO system, and stumbled upon a question I could not answer through RTFM (unless I'm blind as a bat), or on this forum.

Say that I want to create an alliance, but I want only one country in this alliance to be player controlled, and have the rest of the alliance run on PO with the basic idea being to simulate an allied army being controlled by their own staff, and you having to live with, and act upon their success/failures.

Could this be done with the vanilla game assets and rules?

Thanx in advance,

JJ

Post #: 1
RE: Experimenting with PO. - 1/31/2022 3:01:04 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: JJMcBlaze

Hey all,

I was playing around with the scenario editor and the whole PO system, and stumbled upon a question I could not answer through RTFM (unless I'm blind as a bat), or on this forum.

Say that I want to create an alliance, but I want only one country in this alliance to be player controlled, and have the rest of the alliance run on PO with the basic idea being to simulate an allied army being controlled by their own staff, and you having to live with, and act upon their success/failures.

Could this be done with the vanilla game assets and rules?

There is no design feature that allows the designer to impose that. Players, however, are free to adopt such a rule voluntarily. So, the designer could make it a house rule. Then set all formations he doesn't want PO controlled to "Manual". Then players would be required to first invoke the PO to make all its moves. Only after that moving the stuff that didn't move by PO.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to JJMcBlaze)
Post #: 2
RE: Experimenting with PO. - 1/31/2022 4:10:14 PM   
golden delicious

What I was thinking of was a sort of multiplayer strategic game. The players essentially the top layer of the military hierarchy, and have no responsibility for issuing orders to individual units. Instead, each turn the players have the option draft a set of changes to the Objective chains for the formations under their authority. One player for each force acts as the administrator and applies these changes, then sets the PO running for the whole turn.

Even more interesting would be if one force has to play this way and the other side is played directly by a human. There's your France 1940 simulation- especially if the French player's copy of the saved game is always a couple of days out of date.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: Experimenting with PO. - 2/2/2022 11:08:10 AM   
JJMcBlaze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

There is no design feature that allows the designer to impose that. Players, however, are free to adopt such a rule voluntarily. So, the designer could make it a house rule. Then set all formations he doesn't want PO controlled to "Manual". Then players would be required to first invoke the PO to make all its moves. Only after that moving the stuff that didn't move by PO.

So it would be solely based on players trusting the designer enough to not change the designers initial PO's? What could possibly go wrong? ;)

Let me play with the editor some more, and see if I can write a scenario briefing in such a way that it discourages "player input".

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 4
RE: Experimenting with PO. - 2/2/2022 11:15:02 AM   
JJMcBlaze

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

What I was thinking of was a sort of multiplayer strategic game. The players essentially the top layer of the military hierarchy, and have no responsibility for issuing orders to individual units. Instead, each turn the players have the option draft a set of changes to the Objective chains for the formations under their authority. One player for each force acts as the administrator and applies these changes, then sets the PO running for the whole turn.

Even more interesting would be if one force has to play this way and the other side is played directly by a human. There's your France 1940 simulation- especially if the French player's copy of the saved game is always a couple of days out of date.

If I understand correctly, divide players into a planning, and an executing branch?

We (some old Close Combat clan) were playing around with this idea, but never found a way to make it work. Our idea for this game was to have Grand Strategists have their game on the strategic map. They would plan their offensives, move their troops, and this process would grow smaller in scope, right down to Arma FPS levels.

So the 'highest staff' would be playing ToaW, the second level would be playing something like Close Combat, and the last level would be playing an FPS. We thought that incorporating the human element would give every level purpose, and make outcomes much more interesting since they are no longer solely based on a dice roll.

I guess that by now, the obvious problems are quite apparent...

< Message edited by JJMcBlaze -- 2/2/2022 11:16:42 AM >

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 5
RE: Experimenting with PO. - 2/2/2022 2:40:22 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

If I understand correctly, divide players into a planning, and an executing branch?

We (some old Close Combat clan) were playing around with this idea, but never found a way to make it work. Our idea for this game was to have Grand Strategists have their game on the strategic map. They would plan their offensives, move their troops, and this process would grow smaller in scope, right down to Arma FPS levels.

So the 'highest staff' would be playing ToaW, the second level would be playing something like Close Combat, and the last level would be playing an FPS. We thought that incorporating the human element would give every level purpose, and make outcomes much more interesting since they are no longer solely based on a dice roll.

I guess that by now, the obvious problems are quite apparent...

There was a guy (76mm I think?) who was doing something like this (albeit only with two levels, TOAW and some tactical engine), by exporting the contents of TOAW to the tactical game for selected key battles, then going back into the editor to adjust TOAW based on the results. Obviously this only works for quite small scenarios.

I used to run a game myself based on the other end of the scale; I built a set of grand strategic rules for production and forming units and so on which would then input into a new TOAW scenario each month or quarter. This was a way to put more than two players into TOAW with potentially clashing political interests amongst nominally allied powers, and neutrals who could be courted by multiple parties to jump one way or another.

But actually what I had in mind here was to run a game purely in a single TOAW scenario, whereby a group of players on one or both sides wouldn't have direct access to the scenario, but would rather receive reports from a sort of scenario admin, and then input instructions back in the form of PO objectives. Actually moving and attacking by units would then be executed by the PO. This would give a sort of heavy fog of war and also subordinates who don't do what they're supposed to do.

To keep the thing moving, one could set a time each week when the turn will be executed. If any participant hasn't updated their orders by that time then it's too bad: their units will just carry on based on their old orders.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 2/2/2022 2:41:23 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to JJMcBlaze)
Post #: 6
RE: Experimenting with PO. - 2/2/2022 3:15:51 PM   
JJMcBlaze

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

But actually what I had in mind here was to run a game purely in a single TOAW scenario, whereby a group of players on one or both sides wouldn't have direct access to the scenario, but would rather receive reports from a sort of scenario admin, and then input instructions back in the form of PO objectives. Actually moving and attacking by units would then be executed by the PO. This would give a sort of heavy fog of war and also subordinates who don't do what they're supposed to do.

To keep the thing moving, one could set a time each week when the turn will be executed. If any participant hasn't updated their orders by that time then it's too bad: their units will just carry on based on their old orders.

Hearing you loud and clear. I've been searching for a game like this for ages. Not necessarily in ToaW, but the idea of a purely 'administrative' general staff game has always intrigued me. I guess that it'll take one hell of an AI to translate orders into movement on a map.

< Message edited by JJMcBlaze -- 2/2/2022 3:16:55 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Experimenting with PO. - 2/2/2022 3:41:09 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Hearing you loud and clear. I've been searching for a game like this for ages. Not necessarily in ToaW, but the idea of a purely 'administrative' general staff game has always intrigued me. I guess that it'll take one hell of an AI to translate orders into movement on a map.

I was thinking about having an admin person perform this function, who would basically have three things to do:
1) placing objectives on the map
2) clicking the "execute orders" button
3) providing reports back to the players

This person would need to be agnostic to provide imperfect data to both sides.

I haven't necessarily thought this through. Naturally the more formations on the map, the more workload there is for the administrator. You'd want to first try it out with a rather small scenario to make sure it's not too unwieldy. There wouldn't even need to be a lot of players, it could be just one on each side plus the admin, though it gets more interesting the more people you add.

Anyway, I'd be content to sit in the middle here; I've done it before with my TOAW Grand Strategy game.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to JJMcBlaze)
Post #: 8
RE: Experimenting with PO. - 2/3/2022 4:44:58 AM   
sPzAbt653

Have you tried using 'PO Assist'? I did and found it to be tedious, but I wasn't really interested in proving it to be viable. There are other settings that could be involved, so if a scenario was designed to be played this way it might take a little extra work. But overall I don't think I see a need for an 'administrator'. Maybe I am wrong.

I guess an opponent could cheat and switch the PO off to gain an advantage, but that would result in them getting cursed with the fleas of 1,000 camels.

Post #: 9
RE: Experimenting with PO. - 2/3/2022 8:58:39 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Have you tried using 'PO Assist'? I did and found it to be tedious, but I wasn't really interested in proving it to be viable. There are other settings that could be involved, so if a scenario was designed to be played this way it might take a little extra work. But overall I don't think I see a need for an 'administrator'. Maybe I am wrong.

I guess an opponent could cheat and switch the PO off to gain an advantage, but that would result in them getting cursed with the fleas of 1,000 camels.

I was thinking of making this not just a matter of the player not having direct control of the troops, but also not having perfect information about them either "let's see- 1st Borsetshires have 24 out of 36 rifle squads, 80% supply and 74% proficiency. I guess they should be good for one more attack"

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 10
RE: Experimenting with PO. - 2/3/2022 6:16:26 PM   
larryfulkerson

I tried the idea of having the player give his orders to his units by adjusting their objectives and letting the PO run the units when everybody had some current orders. The movement phase runs to completion and the game engine stops at the point where you would execute the combat(s) for this round and you have the chance to adjust any particular combat as you like it and then execute the combats. Then, depending on how the combat results go you could then adjust the units objective again, or not, and let the PO move the units again. Rinse and repeat until the end of the turn.

I found that this almost eliminated the micromanagement I used to do with each individual unit to move them to just the right spot and assign them missions I felt they could handle, etc. When the PO moves them they almost automatically go where they are needed and do what they need to do.

It's a completely different way to play TOAW. Beware that Elmer will assign a critical mission to a cherry-red unit without a second thought.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 2/3/2022 6:17:12 PM >

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

Post #: 11
RE: Experimenting with PO. - 2/12/2022 11:43:39 AM   
JJMcBlaze

Hey All,

While experimenting with PO's, I stumbled upon yet another question that I could not find an answer to: can you use PO's on a specific unit, instead of on a location?
The idea being that there is one "general" on either side, who functions somewhat as a king on a chessboard. When you manage to defeat that specific unit, the game is won, regardless of other factors.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 12
RE: Experimenting with PO. - 2/12/2022 10:17:26 PM   
sPzAbt653

There is a 'unit destroyed' Event.

(in reply to JJMcBlaze)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Experimenting with PO. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI