Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rock Paper Shotgun Preview of Playing Distant Worlds 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Rock Paper Shotgun Preview of Playing Distant Worlds 2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rock Paper Shotgun Preview of Playing Distant Worlds 2 - 2/1/2022 2:52:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

Full Preview: "We've now played Distant Worlds 2 and it's a light in an age of shadow ... If we're to imagine the worst case scenario, it'd be the full version making no changes at all, in which case it would get a hard time but still be a dramatic improvement on Distant Worlds Universe. Very little has been lost, little has fundamentally changed, but almost everything works better. That's a strong baseline, and I am frankly alarmed at the thought of how much of this year I'll likely spend playing Distant Worlds 2."

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/weve-now-played-distant-worlds-2-and-its-a-light-in-an-age-of-shadow

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 1
RE: Rock Paper Shotgun Preview of Playing Distant Worlds 2 - 2/1/2022 4:05:22 PM   
Gertjan

Good preview. Looking forward to their review.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 2
RE: Rock Paper Shotgun Preview of Playing Distant Worlds 2 - 2/1/2022 8:07:39 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

"If we're to imagine the worst case scenario, it'd be the full version making no changes at all, in which case it would get a hard time but still be a dramatic improvement on Distant Worlds Universe."

If DW2 ends up being DWU only everything works better and the largest possible games don't lag out or crash I'll be more than happy to pay full retail on launch. Game reviewers are always looking for dramatic flashy changes when maybe refining whats already there is the best option at least at the start. Plenty of time to add in new mechanics in future dlc just like OG DW did on the path to DWU and now DW2.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 3
RE: Rock Paper Shotgun Preview of Playing Distant Worlds 2 - 2/1/2022 8:25:46 PM   
Clux

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

"If we're to imagine the worst case scenario, it'd be the full version making no changes at all, in which case it would get a hard time but still be a dramatic improvement on Distant Worlds Universe."

If DW2 ends up being DWU only everything works better and the largest possible games don't lag out or crash I'll be more than happy to pay full retail on launch. Game reviewers are always looking for dramatic flashy changes when maybe refining whats already there is the best option at least at the start. Plenty of time to add in new mechanics in future dlc just like OG DW did on the path to DWU and now DW2.

Indeed, the main reason I stopped playing DW U was the crashes and poor performance on late game (on W10).

Amateurs talk about strategy. Professionals talk about logistics!

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 4
RE: Rock Paper Shotgun Preview of Playing Distant Worlds 2 - 2/1/2022 8:34:40 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

I second that sentiment.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 5
RE: Rock Paper Shotgun Preview of Playing Distant Worlds 2 - 2/1/2022 10:46:56 PM   
AntoneT

I most excited about being able to read the text again!

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 6
RE: Rock Paper Shotgun Preview of Playing Distant Worlds 2 - 2/2/2022 12:09:42 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: AntoneT

I most excited about being able to read the text again!

I like to say DW2 is "95% DW2, with a useable UI and Engine".
I also like to say: "Yes they do have scaling UI. And they only needed to remake them game from scratch in a new engine to do it".

The "fun" of having a original one man porject that exceeded any expectations by a huge margins. So many bodge jobs piled on top of other bodge jobs, it is effectively easier to just start again.

(in reply to AntoneT)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Rock Paper Shotgun Preview of Playing Distant Worlds 2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI