Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestion - Ship Orders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Suggestion - Ship Orders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestion - Ship Orders - 2/2/2022 4:34:32 PM   
zgrssd

I admit it is wierd to have a suggestion about a game that is still 1 month from release, while I do not even have the Streamer or Beta versions.
But given that DW2 is in large parts DW1, a lot of the old issues still apply. So in a large part these are "things that I noticed in DW1 that I think have not been fixed by the general DW2 rework." And this time it will not even be a total nightmare to add any of those
I originally planned one big Thread, but thought splitting them up is better.

This threads thematic is Orders for ships mostly.

Attack System Order
Ordering the destruction/capture of all assets that system. I can kinda approach it with Patrol, but I am less certain how "suicidal" the fleet is under that order.
But this one is particulary one for Troop transports/fleets with Transports mixed in. Who will have to retreive ungarissioned forces from planets they just took over, to use in a later invasions. And maybe even get more units from another system/waiting for the units to recover in their bays and local forces to displace them before starting the next operation.

Siege System
Most applicable for systems with strong defenses around one planet. The fleet will go in and attack any group of enemy forces it can easily defeat. But stay away from any overwhelming force. Like any planet protected by a fleet and a ring of defense platforms.

So it will kill outlying stations and lurk around for a weakness around the primary asset.
If for any reason the hard target becomes comparatively easier for a time - enemy fleet is drawn off or runs out of fuel, maintenance lapsing, sieging fleet finally receives reinforcements - the sieging fleet pounces.

System Marking orders
Sometimes I just want to mark a System as being of special interest, to be be handeled by ships on automatic. This could include:

Blockade System
A order to the Automatic Patrols to gather enough forces for a effective blockade of every planet in that system (maybe exclude explicitly peacefull targets). They should still run like hell if actuall war breaks out and the enemy is superior, but return if they can gather enough numbers to drive away the hostile fleets.
Naturally could be usefull if you got a Virus outbreak too, to quarantine planets.

Explore/Survey/Investiage System. A order to the exploration ships to explore/fully survey/investigate everything in that system at earliest convenience. As I understand it they currently do skip asteroids mostly and might miss investigation, but those orders could force a full resolution of everything a Exploration ship can do.

Salvage System. For cases where there is a ship graveyard in that sytem. Start by the largest or highest Firepower, then go down form there.

Ship/Planet Targetting orders
Sometimes I want to order something on the thing I selected. Things I may want to order include:

Everything I listed under System Orders, propably should be possible for a single planetary body or ship. Because it affects several Planetary Bodies or Ships in that System anyway. Especially the salvage option

Request fuel.
Why wait for the tanker to get around to srvicing you, when you can just demand to get fuel now? Fleets may need priority service.

Repair.
It is one thing to only ask for repairs when you already lost FTL. But why wait so long? That damage could just be some "flesh wounds". But enough to make you loose the ship after 1-2 more exchanges of fire.
Construction ships can evidentlly reppair just about every ships compoent from nothing to full and flying back to spaceport is long. So why not call them when you have minor damage only?
Get that stuff fixed up while you wait for the fuel tanker, reinforcements or new targets anyway!

Blow up Planets.
For some reason unlike "Bombard", "Blowing Up Planets with a Planetkiller" is not a seperate command. It just happens as part of a attack order.
As a side effect, this would also make it possible to blow up uncolonized planets for resources.

Priority order without turning off automation
Some Ships are basically always automated. They have no reason to not be automated. Construction Ships, Exploration Ships, Patrols are on Automation 99% of the time. In fact, I call them "semi-private" Ships for that very reason.
I only ocassionally need give them a direct order (ideally I want to give them the above indirect orders).
When I do, I want it executed first. But that does not mean I want to turn off automation. Would be nice if there was some way to order "do that next (or even instead of your current mission), but do not switch to manual for it."

Do not cancel Retrofit/Repair/Refuel order
This one I saw in Star Trek Armada 2, I think. The game had the same issue of having rather long flights to repair stations, while you also wanted to keep units in the group selections (which were limited to < 20 Ships).
This is a order that is "locked in". Ships under it will at least ignore any group selection or fleet order*, until they are repaired. Particulary any move, attack and cancel orders send to the fleet or group selection will be ignored. In turn, the fleet can ignore that ship as well for deciding speed, gathering up. After they did whatever they needed to do, they can still follow those orders, but while on it nothing will make them go elswhere.

Being on such a mission should optionally also be indicated in any group/fleet selection, so I know that damage ship is "taken care off" and no longer need a extra order to repair.

*Or if that is easier, ignore any order - even direct ones - unless it is the exact one to cancel that state.
Post #: 1
RE: Suggestion - Ship Orders - 2/3/2022 6:42:04 AM   
Galaxy227

A lot of these ideas are so specific and overly-complicated, you might as well just order your ships around manually. The amount of effort to perfect even one of all your orders listed here would take an insurmountable amount of coding. Elliot's time is simply better spent elsewhere.

Alas, at what point is the game playing itself for you?

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 2
RE: Suggestion - Ship Orders - 2/3/2022 8:01:05 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

While they probably can expand on the fleet automation system over time, which they probably will. I also agree there is a time when just manual control over fleets is what you have to do.

In fact I quite often manage my fleets in Universe to some degree, I don't want the entire game to play itself?!?

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 3
RE: Suggestion - Ship Orders - 2/3/2022 1:00:59 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galaxy227

A lot of these ideas are so specific and overly-complicated, you might as well just order your ships around manually. The amount of effort to perfect even one of all your orders listed here would take an insurmountable amount of coding. Elliot's time is simply better spent elsewhere.

Alas, at what point is the game playing itself for you?

Not everyone likes to run every part of every game manually.
This is a fact.
This is why such extensive Automation exists DW1 and DW2 in the first place.

Half of those are alread set up, just neededing a seperate button on the right UI.
And I take any part of the other half that can be easily impelemented.
I never said anything about any of those being "must have" or "now".

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Suggestion - Ship Orders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI