Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Things that are good to know before MP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> War Room >> Things that are good to know before MP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Things that are good to know before MP - 4/11/2021 11:54:51 PM   
Bavre

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

after gathering a bit of XP in MP I have decided to do a little Q&A about some of the finer game mechanic aspects that often elude new players. Some of those can make the first MP matches extremely frustrating and it can quite often appear as if the opponent is somehow cheating. I hope the more experienced players will forgive me for spilling those beans, but I really think it's fair for both sides to know that stuff. As I said this will be mostly mechanics and no strategy guide. Anyway, here we go:

1. My opponent always seems to know where my ships are. His ships never trigger ambushes and also seem to ignore my mines.

Your opponent uses subs in silent mode as scouts. During their move (but NOT at the endpoint) those ignore ZoC and ambushes, have a greatly reduced chance to trigger mines and -most importantly- are invisible to the other player. Just do a little experiment in the north sea in a hotseat vs yourself. Declare war on GB, put some royal navy ships and mines there and dive right through them with german subs. You only have to make sure you do it in one big move, do NOT creep up on them hex by hex. After that switch sides and watch the Entente replay.

2. I blocked off everything, but his subs just seem to appear out of nowhere and start raiding.

See point 1. Subs in silent mode can "ghost" through any static blockade, making those practically pointless. The only way to stop them is finding them through active patrolling. Makes Entente naval play quite tedious, but there's no way around it.

3. The opponent is attacking my subs with battleships. It does not appear to do anything, but afterwards they die really fast to destroyer attacks.

He is using his non-ASW ships to drain your subs supply and soften them up for his destroyers. All ships use up 1 supply whenever they dash, raid or fight. And since capital ship attacks on subs always result in 0:0 fights, it's a risk free way to kill the subs supply. Even if the sub escapes it won't do much anymore, because with low supply it's not gonna do much raiding.

Edit: This has been patched in version 1.05!

4. My opponent always seems to know which coastal towns are undefended.

He's probably using air recon. As long as a recon flight is not intercepted or hits a town, harbor or enemy unit it will not be shown in the other sides replay. So say you want your french carrier in the Med to check on Smyrna, then do not target the City but one of the adjacent hexes. You will still see wether there's a unit in there, but the Turks will never know that you've been there.

5. My opponents units kick ass while mine suck.

That can have many reasons, but the most common ones in regard to game mechanics are

a) You're in low supply. There is already a really great thread about this and I can only recommend to check it out:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4924897&mpage=1&key=supply�
Pay special attention to post 3 point 22. It will immensely help you get more supply to the front line.

Edit: Some supply rules changed in version 1.05!

b) Your units are leaderless. Always set your generals to auto assist and manage the unit attachments yourself! Make sure those of your boys that are in the thick of it have a decent HQ commanding them.

c) Your generals are *censored*. If you select one of your HQs and select sack/replace with you can staff it with a often much better guy. The cost of this action only depends on the new generals rating, not the difference between old and new one.

Other reasons can be extremely experienced enemy generals or a huge difference in national morale, but those can unfortunatelly not be helped by a quick action.

6. The other side goes total Blitzkrieg on me, with a bunch of units appearing in impossible places on turn one.

Your opponent sold his starting research chits and used the money to operate troops and surprise you. Not much you can directly do about it. However nothing stops you from doing the same on your first turn and rail in an appropriate defense force. Btw, there are some starting research chits which should be almost always sold off. A prime example would be Serbia. In MP it hardly ever lives long enough to see any benefit from its industry research and even if it does, the % effect is barely noticeable due to the small Serbian economy.

7. By midgame the enemy seems to have much better tech then me.

In this game some techs are vastly more powerful than the rest and it's pretty much mandatory to pump as many chits in those as possible. For details check out this thread:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4942731
especially post 8.

8. My opponent always seems to know my HQs locations and occasionally snipes them.

Well, that's because he indeed does know their locations. In regions with a native supply below 10 (for example the russian side of the Galicia front) he can calculate their positions by checking your frontline units supply values. Having a HQ in the second row is very useful supply wise, but also very risky.

That's all I can think of for starters, hope it helps and leads to some exciting matches! If I forgot something feel of course free to add.

Cheers and death to them Frogs, Huns etc...

< Message edited by Bavre -- 5/8/2021 8:15:35 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Things that are good to know before MP - 4/12/2021 8:08:18 AM   
stockwellpete

Thanks very much for this. Interesting stuff. Number 3 should be sorted out so that capital ships cannot deplete subs supply in that way as it seems ahistorical to me. Also, I am not keen on players being able to sell research chits at the start of a game either. Maybe certain types of research chits should never be sold? In the one MP game I have played, my opponent put a huge number of diplomacy chits in Romania, which prompted my surrender, as I could not cope with their extra units. That seemed a bit daft historically as well.

From this very limited experience, my provisional view is that one of the hardest things for a new player to MP to cope with is dealing with more experienced players ability to take advantage of ahistorical gameplay opportunities. The game would benefit a lot from removing these and further reducing the ludicrous power of artillery. This last point is the main reason why I will not play MP at the moment.

(in reply to Bavre)
Post #: 2
RE: Things that are good to know before MP - 4/14/2021 9:14:02 PM   
Bavre

And of course I forgot one.

9. Not just the subs but the entire enemy fleet seems to occasionally appear out of nowhere and attack from the weirdest angles. My blockades/patrols were in place, how did his ships get there?

Teleportation (well kind of). Ships have a cruise mode for double movement at the cost of 1 supply and increased vulnerbility during the move. One rather odd side effect of cruise mode is, that the ship (if it starts the cruise out of sight of any enemy) becomes invisible to anything that can't ambush it during the cruise (but again not at the endpoint). So as long as you scout the way with some stealthy subs you can beam your fleet over vast distances without the enemy seeing you. Just make sure you follow the exact path your subs scouted by using waypoints if neccessary. Also if possible avoid going directly through enemy ships, as this might trigger the "take 1 point of damage for going through an enemy ship" effect.

Btw I really think this is not quite working as intended. I mean I get stealthy subs in pre-Asdic times, but the Kaisers Blitz-Stealth-Dreadnoughts are stretching it a bit.

(in reply to stockwellpete)
Post #: 3
RE: Things that are good to know before MP - 4/15/2021 8:22:50 PM   
mdsmall

Hi Bavre - does this mean that if I send a German Battlecruiser on naval cruise and it moves through the Zones of Control of a British destroyer (but not through the destroyer) then there will not be an ambush (since the Battlecruiser is the stronger ship) and the Entente player won't even see the Battlecruiser as it cruises through their Zones of Control?

(in reply to Bavre)
Post #: 4
RE: Things that are good to know before MP - 4/16/2021 7:38:20 PM   
Bavre

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdsmall

Hi Bavre - does this mean that if I send a German Battlecruiser on naval cruise and it moves through the Zones of Control of a British destroyer (but not through the destroyer) then there will not be an ambush (since the Battlecruiser is the stronger ship) and the Entente player won't even see the Battlecruiser as it cruises through their Zones of Control?

If the BC cruises through an already discovered DD's ZOC, the BC is invisible.
If the BC cruises directly through an already discovered DD, the BC is invisible but may take 1 damage.
If the BC cruises through a not yet discovered DD's ZOC, the BC is pulled out of his move.
In other words the units you come across during your cruise must not even be eligible for an ambush, while a possbile but declined ambush will still stop you.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 5
RE: Things that are good to know before MP - 4/29/2021 8:30:34 PM   
Narisomo

This is really helpful. Thanks for sharing.

(in reply to Bavre)
Post #: 6
RE: Things that are good to know before MP - 5/10/2021 10:18:15 PM   
ZeppoSpecs

Thank you for posting this. This forum is an invaluable resource for newbie doofuses such as myself.

(in reply to Bavre)
Post #: 7
RE: Things that are good to know before MP - 9/9/2021 5:05:56 PM   
Turbo624

Where do you go to find multiplayer matchmaking for this and other Strategic Command games?

(in reply to ZeppoSpecs)
Post #: 8
RE: Things that are good to know before MP - 9/9/2021 7:18:35 PM   
Bavre

quote:

ORIGINAL: Turbo624

Where do you go to find multiplayer matchmaking for this and other Strategic Command games?

My advice would be to post or accept a challenge here
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1766
The other games have corresponding threads.

You can also jump directly into any open game in the lobby, but I've not made good experience with those. In nearly all those matches my opponents quit after 1-3 turns.

(in reply to Turbo624)
Post #: 9
RE: Things that are good to know before MP - 2/2/2022 2:17:49 PM   
Bavre

It's been I while and I decided to do a little addon. This one is just a collection of useful old threads, compiled by our forum encyclopedia mdsmall. Got a bit tired of digging them out each time I wanted to look something up and this seems a good place to list them.

Here's a game calendar for all the turns:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5044382&mpage=1

A Chronology of Decision Events (also contained in the game's documentation, but not in that nice chronological order)
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5044281&mpage=1

Where was that damned trigger hex for Bulgaria again? What will be the consequences if I attack that minor nation? Look no further, here are all the mobilization events:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5041250&mpage=1

Edit: As always I forgot one, and it was even the most helpful of them all. So here are the NM events:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5038786&mpage=1

And of course kudos to mdsmall for digging through all the scripts to extract this stuff!

< Message edited by Bavre -- 2/3/2022 5:04:09 PM >

(in reply to Bavre)
Post #: 10
RE: Things that are good to know before MP - 2/3/2022 2:46:48 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bavre

It's been I while and I decided to do a little addon. This one is just a collection of useful old threads, compiled by our forum encyclopedia mdsmall. Got a bit tired of digging them out each time I wanted to look something up and this seems a good place to list them.

Here's a game calendar for all the turns:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5044382&mpage=1

A Chronology of Decision Events (also contained in the game's documentation, but not in that nice chronological order)
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5044281&mpage=1

Where was that damned trigger hex for Bulgaria again? What will be the consequences if I attack that minor nation? Look no further, here are all the mobilization events:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5041250&mpage=1

And of course kudos to mdsmall for digging through all the scripts to extract this stuff!

Thanks Bavre and of course MdSmall for these!

(in reply to Bavre)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> War Room >> Things that are good to know before MP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI