Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Total number of Races?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Total number of Races? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Total number of Races? - 1/30/2022 10:54:24 PM   
GHerr

I know there's only seven playable races but how many total races are in the game?
Post #: 1
RE: Total number of Races? - 1/30/2022 11:39:47 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: GHerr

I know there's only seven playable races but how many total races are in the game?

Distant Worlds 1 has 22 Races. I fully asume bringing all 22 back is the goal.

However, the work needed to get the Shipset and Portaits made - as well as the now 3 racial techs (up from 0-1) - makes it a lot harde to add them.
In the meantime, I think most are in as species for minor colonies.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 1/30/2022 11:45:08 PM >

(in reply to GHerr)
Post #: 2
RE: Total number of Races? - 1/31/2022 12:29:25 AM   
GHerr

I was wondering about that. I could see other races on some of the streams. That makes it sound like Independence can't become full fledge Empires like they used to though

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: Total number of Races? - 1/31/2022 1:42:37 AM   
Cauldyth

Das explicitly said that they can, so no worries. I think in an earlier preview, Erik said that those other races will re-use existing ship models if they do become full empires.

(in reply to GHerr)
Post #: 4
RE: Total number of Races? - 1/31/2022 7:00:39 AM   
zgrssd

I managed to sneak a peak at the Encyclopedia and it seems to be "only" 20 races listed there. I guess the Shaktury and the similar looking race are not there anymore?

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 1/31/2022 7:06:11 AM >

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 5
RE: Total number of Races? - 1/31/2022 7:09:43 AM   
Gertjan

Aside from bug fixes, I suggest the devs make this a priority as reviewers/players are likely to complain about this. This would really a shame given how good the game looks on the beta streams I saw so far.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 6
RE: Total number of Races? - 1/31/2022 8:19:39 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

Aside from bug fixes, I suggest the devs make this a priority as reviewers/players are likely to complain about this. This would really a shame given how good the game looks on the beta streams I saw so far.

What do you mean... as far as we know Independent colonies can grow to full empires just as in DW Universe. Those species that don't have unique ship sets will use some of the existing ship sets if they become full empires.

They will not create unique ship sets for all the species by launch, that will take many updates and DLC before that happens.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 7
RE: Total number of Races? - 1/31/2022 12:04:27 PM   
LordMM

7 playable and 20 minor independent races which includes the 7 playable races.

It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly, than to live somebody else's life with perfection.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 8
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/1/2022 9:44:59 AM   
Gertjan

My point is that there are 'only' 7 playable races available, which is not much for a hyped game such as DW2. While it is good that there are more in the game as opponents/AI races, there is a risk that potential customers find this number insufficient and sales my suffer as a result. I don't really care about the low number personally because I am confident that Matrix/codeforce will release the other races soon and hopefully modders will jump in as well.

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 9
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/1/2022 11:53:23 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

My point is that there are 'only' 7 playable races available, which is not much for a hyped game such as DW2. While it is good that there are more in the game as opponents/AI races, there is a risk that potential customers find this number insufficient and sales my suffer as a result. I don't really care about the low number personally because I am confident that Matrix/codeforce will release the other races soon and hopefully modders will jump in as well.

Sure... but the job of including species is a pretty long process in DW2... I rather have it released with seven species in March rather than wait another half a year to get another two or three species. I also guess that they plan on including specific new mechanics that goes with the theme of certain other species, so we would then have to wait even more.

The seven species is probably more than enough for play-ability of the initial release. Seven species is enough for decent diversity in game-play.

Asking for more species at release are going to be quite fruitless at this stage I'm sure.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 2/1/2022 11:54:24 AM >

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 10
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/1/2022 12:41:16 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

From the FAQ:
quote:

Erik, can you clarify the idea for the rest of the races? Will they be released as development advances?
--> Each faction is now a pretty big amount of work compared to DW1, between the 3D models, animated characters, story and balancing. I expect we'll be making more factions fully playable with each expansion. The exact expansion schedule is still being discussed beyond the first one.

Making a species is so long, they do not even yet have a idea how long it takes them.
DW2 with 7 Races is 100% more DW2, then DW2 with 9 races half a year later.

I take this temporary reduction in playable, non-mod factions as a acceptbale price for a UI I do not have to fight for Information!

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 11
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/1/2022 2:23:33 PM   
Erik Rutins

The 7 factions in DW2 took us much, much more time than the 20 in DW1. We tried to pick a representative sample of the DW2 factions that would give a wide variety of playstyles. We plan to add more of the DW2 factions in post-release DLCs/Expansions as time allows, eventually getting all back in. Those that are not currently playable are still in as independents and if you add them to your empire and they grow to a large enough population, you can also benefit from their bonuses and their troop/colonization types.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 12
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/1/2022 5:46:45 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

The only thing from the information above I want to know is what the first expansion is about...

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 2/1/2022 5:47:02 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 13
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/2/2022 7:11:04 AM   
Gertjan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorgen_CAB

The only thing from the information above I want to know is what the first expansion is about...

Yes I would be curious too!

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 14
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/2/2022 10:17:17 AM   
Galaxy227

This conversation brought an idea to my head. I think it would be nice if players were able to specify what races should be allowed to spawn during galaxy generation. Perhaps I want to play in a galaxy with only humans, or perhaps would prefer only the seven finished factions to be included. I think this would be a neat feature.

Though, I'd bet it's also possible to do this through modding.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 2/2/2022 10:18:15 AM >

Post #: 15
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/2/2022 1:55:32 PM   
Gertjan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galaxy227

This conversation brought an idea to my head. I think it would be nice if players were able to specify what races should be allowed to spawn during galaxy generation. Perhaps I want to play in a galaxy with only humans, or perhaps would prefer only the seven finished factions to be included. I think this would be a neat feature.

Actually I think you can as I have seen in the game optons screen by streamers.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 16
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/2/2022 2:25:04 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

Yes... you can do this in the same manner you could in Universe.

I usually always preferred to do it this way... making sure there were enough bad guys and good guys to make it interesting. Also I almost always spawned empires at different stages of development and size. I think the idea of everyone starting at pre warp is a bit contrived. It also make the game allot harder when some AI already start as developed empires, sometimes even impossible if you happen to spawn near a developed Boskara or something. I usually put some expanding Boskara at the outer edges to be a decent mid game threat to the galaxy.

If you also put your species as the only existing main species it also complicates things a bit for you as well... I like complications.

Spawn an Old Ackdarian empire at decent tech level and they are already halfway to winning the game when you enter into it at pre-warp.

You can set up the galaxy to be whatever you want and that is the fun part.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 17
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/2/2022 4:10:25 PM   
Gertjan

Fully agreed1

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 18
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/3/2022 6:51:41 AM   
Galaxy227

quote:

quote:

If you guys are referring to the "Other Empires" screen, where you can select the species, age, and technology of civilizations (among other things), then you misunderstood my original idea.

I was suggesting there to be a way to outright prohibit certain species from existing in the galaxy. Say, for instance, I only want Mortalens and Ackdarians to exist. All civilizations, independent colonies, and even pirates would then be comprised of these two species. There shouldn't be any of the other species in the galaxy, (regardless if they're of the seven completed races in DW2, or the rest carried over from DW:U) as I specified for only Mortalens and Ackdarians to spawn. This way, if I wanted to play in a galaxy of only humans, an interface would allow me to toggle off every other species' ability to spawn in the galaxy.

I know my suggestion isn't within the scope of release (or perhaps ever!), but I'm at least hoping the ability to specify which races should be allowed to spawn will be possible through modding.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 2/3/2022 7:37:51 AM >

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 19
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/3/2022 7:28:34 AM   
GogoV

Every human planet needs a securan community.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 20
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/3/2022 8:02:38 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

quote:

quote:

If you guys are referring to the "Other Empires" screen, where you can select the species, age, and technology of civilizations (among other things), then you misunderstood my original idea.

I was suggesting there to be a way to outright prohibit certain species from existing in the galaxy. Say, for instance, I only want Mortalens and Ackdarians to exist. All civilizations, independent colonies, and even pirates would then be comprised of these two species. There shouldn't be any of the other species in the galaxy, (regardless if they're of the seven completed races in DW2, or the rest carried over from DW:U) as I specified for only Mortalens and Ackdarians to spawn. This way, if I wanted to play in a galaxy of only humans, an interface would allow me to toggle off every other species' ability to spawn in the galaxy.

I know my suggestion isn't within the scope of release (or perhaps ever!), but I'm at least hoping the ability to specify which races should be allowed to spawn will be possible through modding.

No that specific setting is not in, but you can EASILY mod that if you wish... just simple XML editing.

You could in Universe and I don't see why you could in this one either which will have even more modding abilities.

There was a mod for Universe with only Human factions for example, no aliens at all.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 2/3/2022 8:04:46 AM >

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 21
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/3/2022 1:05:07 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

quote:

quote:

One interface where you can check/uncheck specific races.

With 3 seperate settings for Major Races, Independants and Pirates/3rd Parties each.

I would have no use for such option, but I can see the merrits.
Naturally explicit player selection should be able to overwrite that for single empires, including their own.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 22
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/4/2022 7:21:46 AM   
Anguille

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

The 7 factions in DW2 took us much, much more time than the 20 in DW1. We tried to pick a representative sample of the DW2 factions that would give a wide variety of playstyles. We plan to add more of the DW2 factions in post-release DLCs/Expansions as time allows, eventually getting all back in. Those that are not currently playable are still in as independents and if you add them to your empire and they grow to a large enough population, you can also benefit from their bonuses and their troop/colonization types.

May i ask what is the reason it took more time? Thanks

Post #: 23
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/4/2022 8:41:34 AM   
Galaxy227

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anguille

Maybe because every race now has a full set of 3D ships and stations, coupled alongside animated character portraits and race-specific storylines? Just a guess, though.

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 24
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/4/2022 9:51:26 AM   
Anguille

quote:

quote:

Maybe because every race now has a full set of 3D ships and stations, coupled alongside animated character portraits and race-specific storylines? Just a guess, though.

Most likely. I am in for the long run so already ready for some dlcs with new races...

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 25
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/4/2022 12:39:34 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

From the FAQ:

quote:

Erik, can you clarify the idea for the rest of the races? Will they be released as development advances?
--> Each faction is now a pretty big amount of work compared to DW1, between the 3D models, animated characters, story and balancing. I expect we'll be making more factions fully playable with each expansion. The exact expansion schedule is still being discussed beyond the first one.

quote:

Do the currently non-playable races appear in the game as other empires or do these races just on independent worlds?
--> No, only as independents. In order to be playable, they'd need much more work to add a full 3D ship/station set and full animated characters. It's certainly possible that modders may decide to make some of these factions playable post-release by doing that, but at release they will only be available as independents.

If you ware willing to reuse anotehr shipset, you can mod them in propably easily.

But you may want to give them 3 Racial Technologies (including 1 Ground Titan) and Storyline too.

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 26
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/4/2022 1:13:56 PM   
Franky007

I would bet that a month after release, Star-trek and Babylon 5 races will pop-up...

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 27
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/4/2022 1:47:48 PM   
StarLab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franky007

I would bet that a month after release, Star-trek and Babylon 5 races will pop-up...

Ha! I JUST made this exact comment on one of my YouTube Videos. Modders are super dedicated and I love them for it!

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Franky007)
Post #: 28
RE: Total number of Races? - 2/8/2022 7:45:16 AM   
Gertjan

Yes custom race mods would be very cool!

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Total number of Races? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI