Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 3/30/2021 12:35:22 PM   
Geoffropi

thank you for the feedbacks, Lua suggestions are implemented.

Mikerohan, it means the side's EMCON alert level is changed globally, For now, this is placed within the EMCON panel for convenience during development.

(in reply to mikerohan)
Post #: 31
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 3/30/2021 6:00:42 PM   
mikerohan

I get it now. Thanks!

(in reply to Geoffropi)
Post #: 32
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 3/31/2021 1:26:07 AM   
trevor999

I noticed on the first post the screen shot shows the Bar Lock radar. Will this feature be applicable to SAM radars as well? For example, the SA-10b uses the Clam Shell as a Target Acquisition Radar (TAR) and the Flap Lid B for TTR/TER (Target Tracking Radar/Target Engagement Radar). On the sensor control panel, I can select one, both or none operating. Will the feature allow, for instance, the Clam Shell to be intermittent and the Flap Lid to automatically track and engage the target? Or more to the point, will this feature be compatible with platforms with different purpose radars?

Also, you mention a toggle "Wake when detecting threat". If there are one or several radars, and it/all happen to be off, how will it/any of them detect a threat? In most western military forces, data links are everywhere. However I'm sure there are other less advanced armed forces with a plethora of data links, so one radar that detected a threat wouldn't be able to (not at least easily/instantaneously)communicate to another radar site possibly scores of miles away.

I think it's a great idea and I hope I don't sound like I'm "splitting hairs".

(in reply to mikerohan)
Post #: 33
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 4/3/2021 1:45:52 PM   
AndrewJ

Would this be available for Sonar too?

It could be very useful to make a ping or two every fifteen minutes or half an hour, just to check for those quiet lurking threats, without continuously broadcasting your presence to the entire ocean.

(Says the guy who just had his frigate sunk because he was too lazy to turn off the pinger! )

(in reply to trevor999)
Post #: 34
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 4/3/2021 1:52:07 PM   
BDukes

You know you want to say it.. Just one ping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr0JaXfKj68

Mike

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 35
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 4/3/2021 1:59:34 PM   
Gunner98

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 36
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 4/6/2021 7:02:57 PM   
thewood1

One thing to consider is making alert level similar to ready times. If you stay on a high alert level for too long, you are forced to drop back a level for a set time. It might end up making things overly complicated, but I think there should be some incentive to not just throw everything at the highest level and leave it.

Maybe something like you can only be at red alert for six hours in a 24 hour period. Or maybe tie it to proficiency. Maybe the alert exhaustion forces a temporary drop in proficiency.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 37
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 4/6/2021 7:18:50 PM   
Gunner98

quote:

Or maybe tie it to proficiency. Maybe the alert exhaustion forces a temporary drop in proficiency.

I do like this thought. Affects OODA Loop, maneuverability, weapons' accuracy, all the things that degrade with fatigue.

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 38
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 4/6/2021 11:56:35 PM   
SeaQueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1
Or maybe tie it to proficiency. Maybe the alert exhaustion forces a temporary drop in proficiency.

Please don't do that. The OODA loop mechanic is so brilliantly meaningful and simple.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 39
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 4/7/2021 1:06:03 AM   
thewood1

I agree its simple, but how do you model staying at high alert levels for so long? It has to have some effect eventually.

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 40
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 4/8/2021 2:22:52 AM   
boogabooga

Greetings,

Absolutely no pressure, but for my own planning purposes- is there a timescale for when this might get released? (year, months, weeks, etc.)

I want to write a certain lua script, but am unsure if I should hold off until this is in place.

(in reply to mikerohan)
Post #: 41
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 4/9/2021 1:27:36 PM   
Geoffropi

Hello,

This is currently available in the private beta branch (including the Lua functions). If you plan extensive use of this feature that'd be relevant that you use that branch, testing is always welcomed.

As for the public release, I don't know.

quote:

I agree its simple, but how do you model staying at high alert levels for so long? It has to have some effect eventually.

Currently, the alert level serves as a wrapper for the emission pattern, it doesn't simulate the readiness of the personnel. You could even have a high alert level that is aimed at emitting less (in a very asymmetrical theater why not ?), that's all user-defined.

Having intermittent emission or not is a strategic decision, the drawback here would be a bad player decision. Some situations are favorable to such emission pattern some are in the contrary a very bad idea.

(in reply to boogabooga)
Post #: 42
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 4/9/2021 2:54:15 PM   
boogabooga

quote:

ORIGINAL: Geoffropi

This is currently available in the private beta branch (including the Lua functions). If you plan extensive use of this feature that'd be relevant that you use that branch, testing is always welcomed.

Where do I apply?

(in reply to Geoffropi)
Post #: 43
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 2/2/2022 9:00:55 PM   
Dide

Any new for the release of this feature? Thanks!

(in reply to boogabooga)
Post #: 44
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 2/3/2022 12:00:03 AM   
HalfLifeExpert

I'm quite interested myself. It will be a game changer.

(in reply to Dide)
Post #: 45
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 2/4/2022 3:34:46 PM   
goldfinger35

This feature is great!
Maybe add activation (start) time&date (when radar starts using this feature)?

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 46
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 2/4/2022 4:17:00 PM   
FifthDomain

Is this available yet it looks fantastic.

(in reply to mikerohan)
Post #: 47
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 2/5/2022 11:32:06 AM   
1nutworld

Been looking forward to something like this for years!

USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) 1990-1994.

(in reply to mikerohan)
Post #: 48
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 2/9/2022 3:16:44 PM   
LargeDiameterBomb

I think this is an excellent idea. This would simply be great, one of the best things added to CMO for a long time.

I'd like to add I am well versed with everything in the game except LUA which I just neever have gotten around to (No programming background, don't make many scenarios) and this would add an extreme amount of value for me.

As I understand it this will apply to units and groups, not indivudual sensors.

I would suggest that in the sensor screen (Ie that one that can be brought up by pressing F9) for a unit there would be an option for each EM sensor, the option having a name such as "Exclude from EMCON settings" (Or DEFCON, whatever go go with) or "Radiate only in combat" or or something like that.

Toggling that option so the option is on would remove that sensor from the DEFCON/EMCON settings control and it would function just as sensors do now in CMO. In other words it is manually controlled but an Illuminator, or FCR I should say, turns on if it's needed to illuminate a target for an SARH missile but otherwise it stays silent.

This way you could, for ships primarily, avoid radiating with unique radars or unique combinations of radars that gives opposing side a chance to classify/identify that vessel.

That's my only "hard" wish as an addition to this great idea and I assume - although as I said I am not a programmer - that this idea would not be too hard to implement ;-)

I'd might also think about making this optional for scenarios, in the same way realistic sub communications is optional, as someobody else mentioned - but perhaps only the "Exclude from EMCON settings" part to avoid giving opposing sides a chance of classyfying your ships.

I appreciate the comments about making high readiness only available for a part of each 24-hour period or so, but I think this idea is so great that I see no reason to delay implementation for too long. So the same goes for my idea about "Radiate only in combat" if that is complicated to add.
This great idea could be expanded on further down the line but getting access to it quite fast would be really nice.

Thanks for all the time you guys take to make CMO a little, or sometimes much (in this case), better with each release.

< Message edited by LargeDiameterBomb -- 2/9/2022 3:20:09 PM >

(in reply to Geoffropi)
Post #: 49
RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission - 2/10/2022 2:19:34 AM   
SeaQueen

What does the "Follows WRA rules" do?

(in reply to boogabooga)
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: WIP - Intermittent Emission Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI