Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mod China front along the lines of Empire of the Sun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Mod China front along the lines of Empire of the Sun Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mod China front along the lines of Empire of the Sun - 2/1/2022 10:45:35 AM   
Solaristics

Personally, I find the Chinese front in WW2 Pacific Theatre games quite tedious. WPP doesn't help this by having to shuffle around a couple of dozen Japanese divisions on anti-partisan duty on top of the usual attritional combat.

I like how Empire of the Sun (GMT board game) abstracts out the Chinese front and I'm wondering if there is some way of making a mod or scenario for WPP that does something similar. Perhaps not even making it a contestable front or something the player has control over like in EotS, but just as a resource sink for the Japanese at historical levels. I'm not familiar enough with how modding works in the game to know whether anything like this might be possible, but I thought I'd ask.
Post #: 1
RE: Mod China front along the lines of Empire of the Sun - 2/2/2022 8:50:10 PM   
ago1000

The easiest solution if you are only playing the AI is to turn off paritsan creation.

HvH, a house rule would need to be agreed on and the mod scenario could then be played.

Can't comment on Empire of the Sun as I don't know how they abstract the Chinese front, but that sounds like me the removal of China from the Pacific 41 Scenario and adjustment of OOB to similuate that a certain percentage of troops were sent to China to fight. Not sure how the AI would handle it though.

Go to Editor
Pick the Scenario you wish to mod
click start
Click on country botton
Select China and click on the information tab
Set all partisan creating settings to zero (depicted in picture)
Go to File/Quit
Save Scenario under different name.(Be careful not to write over the default scenario)
Then exit the editor by select Quit, Top Right.
Whatever your operating system:
Here comes the trick part, you need to copy the script files in the scenario you modded into the new folder created by the editor under your new scenario name.

Voila. No more partisans in China.

Note: if you want to play a modded scenario HvH an additional step is required where you need to enter back into the editor and under File/Quit load up the scripts and resave the modded scenario.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ago1000 -- 2/2/2022 8:53:52 PM >

(in reply to Solaristics)
Post #: 2
RE: Mod China front along the lines of Empire of the Sun - 2/5/2022 10:30:30 AM   
Solaristics

Thanks very much for the advice.

I've been giving this some more thought and it might be hard to remove China completely from the game without doing too much violence to it. In Empire of the Sun, the coastal cities are still in play, and some areas near India, it is just the inland that isn't (the war in this area is handled abstractly).

I'm wondering if the solution is to remove the partisans from China, but also remove a certain number of Japanese divisions that are equivalent to those that would be stationed on anti-partisan duty. That would also significantly reduce the unit count in China making it a less tedious front to manage. My only concern with that is that if Japan wants to/is forced to retreat in China, then they won't have access to those rear area divisions that would otherwise be freed up by a retreat. I'm assuming there is no event mechanism available to modders, as production points or units could be triggered to appear if certain VP cities and resources in China fell.

(in reply to ago1000)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Mod China front along the lines of Empire of the Sun Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI