Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question before purchasing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Question before purchasing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question before purchasing - 2/5/2022 2:19:33 PM   
Antmf_slith

I am fairly new to the genre and do have games like WiTE WiTP AE and I also have DC Barbarossa, But they are way to big in scope for me right now. So I was wondering how this game is and how big in scope it is. I honestly didnt like DC Barbarossa because I didnt like the decisions. I just want to play a great wargame that is deep ( Not to deep just yet) and have fun. Please give a brother some advice...
Post #: 1
RE: Question before purchasing - 2/5/2022 4:02:53 PM   
SwampYankee68

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antmf_slith

I am fairly new to the genre and do have games like WiTE WiTP AE and I also have DC Barbarossa, But they are way to big in scope for me right now. So I was wondering how this game is and how big in scope it is. I honestly didnt like DC Barbarossa because I didnt like the decisions. I just want to play a great wargame that is deep ( Not to deep just yet) and have fun. Please give a brother some advice...

No decisions in Ardennes. The scale is smaller, Battalions & Companies as opposed to divisions. You have control of artillery support and airstrikes unlike Barbarossa (which I loved, it really grew on me, and I think it was a work of art). So based on your post I think you would be very happy with it. It is a deep game but accessible. The smaller scale has you making more tactical decisions whereas Barbarossa was more about movement to encircle, the fights in Ardennes have more...nuance. Anyways I recommend it, brother!

"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"

(in reply to Antmf_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: Question before purchasing - 2/5/2022 4:52:31 PM   
Antmf_slith

Thank you so much. I really want to like DC Barbarossa but so many units to move tons of micro lol. I could be wrong though because I really don't know what I am doing with it :(. Thank you...

(in reply to SwampYankee68)
Post #: 3
RE: Question before purchasing - 2/5/2022 5:17:23 PM   
Jagger2002

All of the scenarios except for the two monster scenarios are easily manageable in size and great fun as well. IMO, I have played every scenario except the two monster scenarios and the quality of every one I have played has been high.

Post #: 4
RE: Question before purchasing - 2/5/2022 9:14:23 PM   
SwampYankee68

It's a big game, but the manual is extremely helpful then play the AI... I've gotten to the point that I can win vs. a human as the Sovs or as the Germans, or at least give them a good game. Keeping your units in command radius and supply is vital. Learning when to change posture is important, especially as the Germans.

All that said, Barbarossa is just as deep and challenging, but the scale is smaller so that helps with understanding what you need to do.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 5
RE: Question before purchasing - 2/5/2022 9:17:45 PM   
Antmf_slith

I love deep and complex but the sheer size and unit moving is overwhelming for me in Barbarossa...

Post #: 6
RE: Question before purchasing - 2/5/2022 9:29:27 PM   
SwampYankee68

Understandable. It was for me too, until I played enough to get comfortable. Even in PBEM I often will save during a turn to attend to real life, then come back. Having time to think about my turns is a help.

Post #: 7
RE: Question before purchasing - 2/5/2022 9:58:47 PM   
Goodenough

quote:

I love deep and complex but the sheer size and unit moving is overwhelming for me in Barbarossa...

The smaller scenarios are fun and manageable, I started with the smallest and worked up. As I learnt what was happenining and why it all seemed to fit into place. I wouldn't start with a large scenario but it's great that they are there and the progreesion works lovely.

I found Barbarossa a little intimidating but from memory there were no smaller scenarios (I think)

Ardennes Offensive is well worth getting, just start small and work up.

Post #: 8
RE: Question before purchasing - 2/6/2022 9:13:02 AM   
Octavian

I must clearly contradict.
All three DC titles are in my view much cleaner and easier to read than DC Ardennes.
Before buying dive into this forum and read some posts about recon points or battle calculation and you will see what I mean: this game is in some places unreadable for the player. He simply can´t make informed decisions, because there are so many hidden factors that it is impossible to do unless you are a complete freak.
All other DC titles were deep, but you always knew why things happened the way they did.
I recommend starting with DC Case Blue - it has a very nice linked campaign (1st panzer or so it is called), where you start with small scenarios and work your way up with just one division. And DC Case Blue doesn´t have decisions, if this is what you don´t like, Brother.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Question before purchasing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI