Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Readiness and Vigor - Explanation and Thoughts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Readiness and Vigor - Explanation and Thoughts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Readiness and Vigor - Explanation and Thoughts - 1/31/2022 1:38:35 PM   
JacquesDeLalaing

Readiness and Vigor are probably the most important stats in the game. And yet I find it quite hard to get a basic understanding of how the system works. Here is my attempt to explain. I'm not 100% sure about it, so if you find any errors let me know. :)

READINESS (RDN)

Readiness resembles cohesion or disruption (inverted). It accumulates fast but can also be recovered fast.

EFFECT OF READINESS

Each point of missing RDN (below 100) decreases your unit's

• close combat-attacker combat power by 1%,
  • close combat-attacker protection by 0.5%,
  • close combat-defender combat power by 0.66%,
  • close combat-defender protection by 0.33%,

• ranged combat fire power (direct or indirect fire) by 1%,
  • ranged combat protection against direct fire units by 0.5%
  • ranged combat protection against indirect fire units by 0.16%

• chance to conduct intercept fire by 1%

• Action points. At the start of each turn, a unit's action points are set to 50 action points + ( the unit's current RDN / 2 ). I sometimes found this formula to be incorrect, sometimes I had fewer AP than the formula suggests. Note that action points are determined AFTER RDN recovery (see below).

HOW TO GAIN READINESS?
  • If a unit is fully supplied (entire supply need was met by supply in internal storage), it recovers 20 RDN points at the start of its turn. Note, however, that RDN can never exceed the unit's current Vigor (see below).

HOW TO LOSE READINESS?
  • A unit loses RDN if it moves (mot./mech. units lose 0.1 RDN per AP moved, foot units lose 0.3 RDN per AP moved).
  • If a unit is active in a combat round (ranged and close combat), it loses 1 RDN. Note that an element that does not fire back or counter-attack is not considered to be active and does not lose any RDN.
  • If a unit conducts an intercept fire mission, it seems to lose only 1 RDN (despite the mission lasting 2 combat rounds)?
  • Units lose additional RDN from suffering hits in combat, depending on a) the size of the unit* and b) the effectiveness/power of the enemy.
  • Note that any losses of RDN in combat (aforementioned three bullet points) are updated live during combat. So overall RDN of both sides usually decreases with each combat round. Also note that the factors shown in the combat preview window seem to include all the changes that happen during combat! So the RDN malus shown in the preview window is typically higher than one would expect from just looking at the starting situation.
  • If a unit is not fully supplied, it will lose up to 20 RDN at the start of the turn (depending on how much supply it was missing).
  • If you re-assign a unit to a different HQ, the unit loses roughly 20 RDN. (maybe a percentage of current RDN?)
  • If you change a unit's composition (via "micro"), the unit loses 25 RDN.
  • If you change a unit's movement mode from "combat" to "march", it loses 25% of its current RDN (there is no loss for switching from "march" to "combat").

VIGOR (VIG)
    Vigor resembles combat fatigue (inverted). It accumulates slowly but lasts long.

EFFECT OF VIGOR
    Vigor is the cap on Readiness. A unit's Readiness can never exceed its current Vigor. Therefore, Vigor indirectly has the same effects as Readiness (see above).

HOW TO GAIN VIGOR?

• A unit that is active (moves, initiates fire combat or close combat, intercept-fires) does not recover any VIG.
  • A unit that is inactive for a full turn recovers about 23 VIG at the start of its next turn. If the unit is in an enemy zone of control, VIG recovery is reduced to just 15 points. If the unit remained inactive during a night turn, it recovers 50% extra.
  • Vigor recovery for inactive units is reduced by at least 50% if the unit is attacked by the enemy. It's not entirely clear, but it seems as if both close and ranged combat qualify as attacks, and it doesn't matter if any hits are scored. The malus on recovery is increased depending on how much current VIG the unit has left. If the unit is almost at full VIG, it's recovery will just be decreased by 50%. If it is at only 50 VIG, it will hardly recover any VIG at all if under fire.

HOW TO LOSE VIGOR?

• A unit that is active during a turn (moves, initiates ranged or close combat, initiates intercept fire) automatically loses 2 or 3 (the manual states 5, which seems wrong) points of VIG at the start of its next turn.
  • If a unit loses elements in combat, it loses VIG according to the formula: VIG loss = percentage of losses / 2

CONCLUSIONS / THOUGHTS

If you are the attacking player in a scenario, Readiness is your friend. Your biggest advantage is that you're the one who choses the moment of attack: You can first use your artillery to reduce the enemy's RDN (protection, fire power) and then proceed to assault his weakened positions in the very same turn, i.e. before your opponent's units can recover RDN at the start of their turn.

If you are the defending player in a scenario, Vigor and Intercept Fire are your friends. As the defender, it is hard to leave a lasting impression on your enemy's RDN directly. Sure, if you hit him with artillery, his RDN will be reduced. As the defender, however, you will rarely find yourself in a position to follow up and exploit the temporary weakness caused by your artillery. In order to do so, you'd need to assault. But by assaulting, you'd throw away your biggest advantages as the defender (defender role in close combat, accumulated entrenchment). But then again if you don't assault, you give your opponent time to recover (units recover 20 RDN at the start of their turn!) and he will be ready and fresh to attack in the next turn. So that's a problem.

Instead of targeting your opponent's RDN directly, my suggestion is to go after his VIG instead. Your goal is to force the opponent's units to be active every turn. Each turn of activity will prevent them from recovering VIG and instead further reduce their VIG. Apart from having better combat odds (if the opponent needs to attack your position several times, he needs to be more active!), the best method to force your opponent into activity is intercept fire. How come? Intercept fire stops your opponent's units in their tracks. Units lose a lot of AP if they're hit by effective intercept fire. This means that your opponent's units will take more turns to cover the same distance. They will need to be active for more turns, which will decrease their VIG. So in my opinion, intercept fire is the strongest tool for the defender and you should try to optimize it (arty units should have 80AP left and good Readiness, you need proper Recon on the target hexes,...). Apart from that, you should target inactive enemy units with artillery in order to prevent their VIG recovery, particularly during night turns. And in very desperate situations, just run away. Both your own and your opponents units will lose VIG, but the attacker suffers more from it (see above, the RDN-malus in close combat is much bigger for the attacker). Delaying an opponent also works (retreat a bit in order to reduce the number of combat rounds that can be fought).

------------------
    *Individual elements in the unit will lose quite a lot of RDN due to pinned hits (-25% of current RND!) and retreat hits (-50% of current RDN!). However, the bigger the unit, i.e. the more elements it has, the smaller the effect of these individual RDN-losses will be. That's because the RDN of the unit is re-calculated as the average RDN of all the elements within the unit after the combat. So the larger the unit, the more firepower you need to bring to bear on it to achieve RDN-loss.

< Message edited by JacquesDeLalaing -- 2/5/2022 9:10:57 AM >
  • Post #: 1
    RE: Readiness and Vigor - Explanation and Thoughts - 2/1/2022 2:20:49 AM   
    Rosseau

You and some others on this forum are "masters" at understanding the details of this game, JacquesDeLalaing. I guess a part of our "job" is to keep this game top-of-mind among wargamers and keep interest levels high. Thanks!

(in reply to JacquesDeLalaing)
    Post #: 2
    RE: Readiness and Vigor - Explanation and Thoughts - 2/1/2022 2:50:44 PM   
    Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

You and some others on this forum are "masters" at understanding the details of this game, JacquesDeLalaing. I guess a part of our "job" is to keep this game top-of-mind among wargamers and keep interest levels high. Thanks!

I still owe yous guys my proposed tutorial slides; like the ones I did for TOAW IV. I am busy as heck at the moment with the Army Reserves @ the local health authority doing CTT. So, be patient, my fellow wargamers. I'll eventually do it.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
    Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Rosseau)
    Post #: 3
    RE: Readiness and Vigor - Explanation and Thoughts - 2/1/2022 4:31:59 PM   
    Jagger2002

quote:

You and some others on this forum are "masters" at understanding the details of this game

From what I can see, this game has a lot of depth and subtlety. And understanding those fine points is important to playing the game well. I think it takes time, a bit of study, consideration and practice to bring out the best in the game. All those factors directly influence the general higher level operations which you can see best in the larger scenarios and in PBEM. It is quite a game.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
    Post #: 4
    RE: Readiness and Vigor - Explanation and Thoughts - 2/2/2022 1:47:29 AM   
    Rosseau

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagger2002

quote:

You and some others on this forum are "masters" at understanding the details of this game

From what I can see, this game has a lot of depth and subtlety. And understanding those fine points is important to playing the game well. I think it takes time, a bit of study, consideration and practice to bring out the best in the game. All those factors directly influence the general higher level operations which you can see best in the larger scenarios and in PBEM. It is quite a game.

I won't go with my usual "It's like a fine wine" cliché here, especially as I drink Pabst. ;)

But yes, it's an instant classic and we hope more to come in regards to DLC.

Best wishes to all.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
    Post #: 5
    RE: Readiness and Vigor - Explanation and Thoughts - 2/5/2022 9:03:03 AM   
    JacquesDeLalaing

Small updates (see main post):
    Units lose RDN if you change their composition (via "mirco") and if you re-assign them to a different HQ.
    Also if you switch from "combat" to "march" movement mode.

< Message edited by JacquesDeLalaing -- 2/5/2022 9:11:22 AM >

(in reply to Rosseau)
    Post #: 6
    RE: Readiness and Vigor - Explanation and Thoughts - 2/5/2022 2:39:26 PM   
    Jagger2002

quote:

A unit that is inactive for a full turn recovers about 23 VIG at the start of its next turn.
    I think this is inaccurate or a bug in the game. In a St Vith PBEM, I had noted vigor and readiness on a number of inactive artillery units included shutting down indirect fire. Units were not adjacent to enemy units and it was a day turn. One unit was at 64Vigor/64Read and 70V/70R on next turn. Another unit was at 81V/81R and went to 90V/90R. Both units were in yellow supply status. Maybe supply may have had an impact.

Post #: 7
    RE: Readiness and Vigor - Explanation and Thoughts - 2/5/2022 2:58:46 PM   
    JacquesDeLalaing

Interesting observation. Unfortunately it's hard to test things to gain a proper understanding.
    An official answer/update of the manual would be much appreciated.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
    Post #: 8
    RE: Readiness and Vigor - Explanation and Thoughts - 2/5/2022 4:43:26 PM   
    Jagger2002

I just posted a potential bug report in tech forum. See what feedback we get.

I did not see this problem previous to the current 1.01 patch. If it is related to supply, I suspect the supply situation is linked to higher traffic generated by greater fuel consumption. In the St Vith scenario playing US, I am seeing a lot of yellow truck traffic congestion even in rear areas which have not had any troop movement. Depots barely help when the supply problem is due to traffic congestion.

< Message edited by Jagger2002 -- 2/5/2022 4:49:34 PM >

Post #: 9
    RE: Readiness and Vigor - Explanation and Thoughts - 2/6/2022 9:44:57 AM   
    Octavian

This whole post is another example of how the things in this game have gone over a certain point of comprehensible structure. What is the sense, I ask, of having such an amount of hard to decipher factors under the hood? Factors that really count if you want to play succesfully, but factors that aren´t explained in the manual and even if they were were much to complex to oversee in the turn by turn routine the player has to submit to. I just don´t get it anymore, sorry.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
    Post #: 10
    RE: Readiness and Vigor - Explanation and Thoughts - 2/7/2022 8:33:01 AM   
    Vic

Intercept fire counts as offensive combat.

However I am putting it on the list for consideration of nudging this rule as Intercept Fire does not expose a unit to enemy fire and could very well be considered as part of a defensive (or even retrograde) posture.

Best wishes,
    Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Octavian)
    Post #: 11
    RE: Readiness and Vigor - Explanation and Thoughts - 2/7/2022 12:33:36 PM   
    ltmoravcuk

Yes you are right. So I ma recommend just to change the HQ on divisional or corps level. here the readiness is not changing. Plus in micromanagement when you are supplying unit from feltazatz (supply) units (adding lost weapons or soldiers, the readiness is not dropping down and increasing).

Post #: 12
    RE: Readiness and Vigor - Explanation and Thoughts - 2/7/2022 12:37:22 PM   
    ltmoravcuk

Units do not loose RDN when they are supplied from feltzarzats units created by 20 points card or by near by commander. On the other hand the readiness is increasing. E.g. when you are supplying unit by VG soldiers or Panzerschrecks or mortars. When you are reassigning the whole division under the new corps or corps under the new army the readiness is not moving.

Post #: 13
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Readiness and Vigor - Explanation and Thoughts Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI