Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ap Bac Scenario question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> Ap Bac Scenario question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ap Bac Scenario question - 2/6/2022 8:48:19 PM   
devoncop

Hi

Just finished a hard fought battle at AP Bac as the VC. 5 turns from the end I am sitting on a major victory with all objectives still in my hands and forces largely intact with the ARVN having suffered a lot of casualties.

Then I get a mission to withdraw from these positions to the East exposing all of the objectives and leaving me at the mercy of the ARVN gunships and other forces .

5 turns later I have suffered a major loss....

If I had ignored the extra mission would I have held onto my win or not ?

If not then the ARVN have no need to try and take the objectives which are all fortified but can just sit off to the East of them and wait for the VC to make their doomed withdrawal and pick them off ... ?

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
Post #: 1
RE: Ap Bac Scenario question - 2/7/2022 4:35:46 AM   
Jason Petho

Hopefully you waited until nightfall before you started to pull back, I think night fall is at turn 27.

The longer you hold onto the points (until nightfall) the more likely you are to win. Remember, it isn't just about holding the points, if you were instructed to pull back to the area around 33,22, you would have gain additional points for each unit that was there for those night turns.

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 2
RE: Ap Bac Scenario question - 2/7/2022 5:05:41 AM   
devoncop

Hi Jason

Yes I waited to pull back until the new mission objectives popped up and night fell as they did. I think I could have got to 33,22 if the ARVN had not had a decent blocking force to my rear covering the fords. If they do that then I think it is going to be really difficult for the VC to get to those hexes within the turns left.

In the event of course the ARVN troops there did what the historical plan was supposed to do and blocked any VC retreat but in a situation where all the main objectives were still being held very comfortably and the main ARVN force was in a bad way I am not sure they would have pulled back.

Still a fun scenario but one which if it relies ultimately on the VC making units back to 33,22 in 5 turns then the ARVN player has a pretty straightforward way of foiling that by blocking the fords with the units that approach from the east.

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 3
RE: Ap Bac Scenario question - 2/7/2022 5:28:57 AM   
Jason Petho

Of course, the ARVN doesn't know where you have to pull back to.

I can put in a couple more places, let me know where.

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 4
RE: Ap Bac Scenario question - 2/7/2022 5:53:13 AM   
devoncop

Yes that would work...maybe randomise them a bit.

Maybe 31,19 and 33,32....That gives a sort of northern, central or southern option ?

I would think maybe only one or two of those to be randomly decided each game as mission critical as otherwise all three may make it too easy for the VC ...just a thought.

What is perhaps more fundamental in this scenario is whether it is possible for the VC to win by just holding all the objectives. If it is not then the ARVN player can devote much more resources to being concerned with blocking any retreat than was historically the case and be less worried about taking out the bunkers and pillboxes....

< Message edited by devoncop -- 2/7/2022 6:14:07 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: Ap Bac Scenario question - 2/7/2022 6:43:55 AM   
Jason Petho

The VC should get a major victory IF they can hold off the ARVN from capturing any points (the ARVN gain points for capturing and HOLDING (for a few turns) the key positions - if they save that for the end, the ARVN won't get their capture bonuses) and by retreating the area.

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 6
RE: Ap Bac Scenario question - 2/7/2022 6:50:11 AM   
devoncop

Ah thats clear . Thanks Jason

Not for the furst time in history then my boys were screwed by orders from high command 😉

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> Ap Bac Scenario question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI