Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unit Counters Hand When Moving Long Distances

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> Tech Support >> Unit Counters Hand When Moving Long Distances Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unit Counters Hand When Moving Long Distances - 2/6/2022 2:57:12 AM   
feldwebel87

I am not sure if this is an issue or a limitation of the engine, but when I select a unit that can move a long way, such as a helicopter, I noticed that longer distances causes the unit to move 4-6 hexes before the screen hangs for a bit, and the action resumes once they get to their destination. It's strange because moving only a few hexes doesn't cause the same issue.
Post #: 1
RE: Unit Counters Hand When Moving Long Distances - 2/6/2022 3:37:48 AM   
berto

Never observed that. Could be a quirk in your graphics driver?

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to feldwebel87)
Post #: 2
RE: Unit Counters Hand When Moving Long Distances - 2/6/2022 4:12:10 AM   
Jason Petho

I've noticed this in 3D when zoomed out quite a bit.

Not 2D though, works as expected in 2D

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 3
RE: Unit Counters Hand When Moving Long Distances - 2/6/2022 5:07:36 AM   
feldwebel87

I only notice it in 3D. 2D doesn't have any issues.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 4
RE: Unit Counters Hand When Moving Long Distances - 2/6/2022 5:33:55 AM   
duelok11

I have also experienced this in big maps starting when I tried completing Bootcamp 3 where the choppers need to travel long distances.

Post #: 5
RE: Unit Counters Hang When Moving Long Distances - 2/6/2022 12:08:29 PM   
berto

On second thought...

In Manual/LUA_FUNCTIONS_REFERENCE.txt, there is this:

FUNCTION

unset_move_tracking ()

DESCRIPTION

Toggles OFF game engine unit movement tracking, thereby on_unit_move() is not triggered.

Consider calling this function (in on_startup(), and on_resume()) if game performance lags.

INPUTS

none

RETURN VALUE

none

EXAMPLES

unset_move_tracking()

SEE ALSO

set_move_tracking ()
is_move_tracking ()
move_tracking ()

And its companion function:

FUNCTION

set_move_tracking ()

DESCRIPTION

Toggles ON game engine unit movement tracking, thereby triggers on_unit_move().

INPUTS

none

RETURN VALUE

none

EXAMPLES

set_move_tracking()

SEE ALSO

unset_move_tracking ()
is_move_tracking ()
move_tracking ()

There is much processing overhead as, in real time, the game engine communicates the details of movement to the CSEE. Add to that the extra processing required to render the 3D, yes, you might observe the occasional stutter.

One fix would be to get in the habit of using the 8 or 9 hotkey to 2D zoom out before long-distance helo moves, then use the appropriate hotkey to toggle back to your earlier map zoom level.

Also note the first two bullet point items here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=5132033

If the above suggestions don't suffice, if this issue continues to be terribly bothersome, you might consider adding the highlighted to your user.lua file (located in the top-level game folder):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--[[

user.lua -- called each time a scenario is started, or resumed (after a save and scenario restart).

Intended for global identifiers, "uber functions" (unofficial, subject to change), and other shared, common odds & ends.

--]]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--[[

-- With DEBUG=true, user.lua, init.lua, and all [scenario filename].lua files in Scenarios folder will adapt to this setting;
-- use when debugging your Event files.

-- Hand edit the DEBUG toggle here, maybe, but better to set DEBUG at the game engine command line with the -G switch
-- (sets DEBUG to true; omitting the switch, DEBUG defaults to false); and/or use Ctrl+Alt+G in-game to goggle DEBUG=true
-- DEBUG=false.

DEBUG = false
#DEBUG = true

-- Note also that the command-line switch -E toggles on/off Lua script execution tracing.

-- In addition to the command-line switch -L# (e.g., -L3) to raise/lower the game engine LogLevel (higher is more verbose,
-- and slower).

-- With all logging cranked up to the max -- ... -G -E -L5 ... -- the game will run glacially s-l-o-w, so beware!

--]]

unset_move_tracking ()

The above would toggle OFF movement tracking in all scenarios. Not advised.

If it is bothersome only in some scenarios, you can instead try this (as mentioned in the LUA_FUNCTIONS_REFERENCE.txt):

Consider calling this function (in on_startup(), and on_resume()) if game performance lags.

You would do that edit in individual scenario Lua files' on_startup() and on_resume().

Try not to do any of this; try to leave ON movement tracking, the default. Because otherwise on_unit_move() is not triggered, and the CSEE (and the SAI) are deprived of real-time movement and unit location updates thereby. That could have bad CSEE/SAI implications. So only turn movement tracking OFF if you really feel the need to.

It might be something else, but this movement tracking thing might be the prime suspect.

Good luck.

< Message edited by berto -- 2/6/2022 12:54:21 PM >

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to duelok11)
Post #: 6
RE: Unit Counters Hang When Moving Long Distances - 2/6/2022 1:03:01 PM   
Crossroads

I’ve never seen this in 2D either if it helps.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 7
RE: Unit Counters Hang When Moving Long Distances - 2/6/2022 3:00:22 PM   
duelok11

To my surprise, I can't reproduce the problem anymore, I am currently using the 1.01b uploaded last January 27. I'm just trying to find where the problem seems to start in order for me to save and apply the changes in the Lua before continuing my test if it works.

I hope the problem is actually resolved in this current build, if not then I'll just bear with the short hang since it's not a real-time game where every second counts or just try the Lua fix (for curiosity's sake) just to see if that is really the cause of the problem. I can also switch to 2d for a better experience but I am still getting used to the camera controls of CSVN. Thank you very much for the feedback and help!

< Message edited by duelok11 -- 2/6/2022 3:01:01 PM >

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 8
RE: Unit Counters Hang When Moving Long Distances - 2/6/2022 4:49:56 PM   
feldwebel87

It's not a big enough of an issue to worry about other than just to confirm it's not some issue I alone am having. The game only hangs for a short time, and if it does bug me, I could also just move no more than 4-5 hexes as a time. Thanks for looking into it for us!

(in reply to duelok11)
Post #: 9
RE: Unit Counters Hang When Moving Long Distances - 2/6/2022 8:57:45 PM   
duelok11

Hi! Are you currently playing using the 1.01b version of the game?

Post #: 10
RE: Unit Counters Hang When Moving Long Distances - 2/6/2022 10:16:34 PM   
alwaysdime

1.01b won't help much unless its scenario specific and that scenario was updated. The .exe's were not updated in 1.01b but will be in the official patch.

(in reply to duelok11)
Post #: 11
RE: Unit Counters Hang When Moving Long Distances - 2/7/2022 12:03:08 AM   
feldwebel87

Hey,
No, just the 1.00 version.

(in reply to duelok11)
Post #: 12
RE: Unit Counters Hang When Moving Long Distances - 2/7/2022 11:44:58 AM   
duelok11

Hi! if you are still interested, you can try installing the 1.01b patch located here and try it with the scenario that you are currently playing to see if the problem still persists because I can't reproduce it anymore on my end.

< Message edited by duelok11 -- 2/7/2022 11:45:31 AM >

Post #: 13
RE: Unit Counters Hang When Moving Long Distances - 2/8/2022 1:21:26 AM   
feldwebel87

Thanks! I looked again, and I remember downloading the patch. So it looks like I already have it. That's okay, though, as the problem isn't a big deal. I shouldn't be moving that many hexes at a time as it is :D

(in reply to duelok11)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> Tech Support >> Unit Counters Hand When Moving Long Distances Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI