Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mine Hints

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Mine Hints Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mine Hints - 2/6/2022 8:58:16 PM   
vettim89

So I haven't really used mines and minefields much. I have some questions I hope the forum can answer

1. Many ships are listed as minelayers but have no "mine" weapon mount. I see a generic mine magazine available as a mount. Also there is a limpet mine rack. Do I need to add a weapon to the ship so it can lay mines? Or do I just need to add mines to the magazine. I would use the Norwegian N 52 as an example of a minelayer without a "mine" weapon mount

2. Is there a hint on how to set up a mine mission? I set one up and the ship went in and laid one mine. Then it moved back and forth in the mine zone for about an hour and then laid a second single mine. There is no density setting when setting up a mine mission. Is there a way to make a ship lay more mines?

3. Is there a guideline for where how deep bottoms mines are considered effective?

Thanks as always for your help

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
Post #: 1
RE: Mine Hints - 2/7/2022 2:17:56 AM   
AndrewJ

I haven't used mines a lot, but one thing I have found is that the depth limits can be an issue. For example, in deep steep-sided Norwegian fjords, there may only be very small areas at the very edge of the fjord where the water is shallow enough for the mines to be laid. A minelayer might move back and forth in the fjord, and almost never go into water where it can actually lay a mine. This is particularly true for aircraft laying bottom mines, which often have very shallow depth limits (-45m) compared to conventional moored mines (350 - 400m). Could this be part of what you are seeing?

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 2
RE: Mine Hints - 2/7/2022 2:15:47 PM   
Gunner98

I see what you mean, there are not many MLs with mine laying equipment.

Looking at the Russian ZM Alesha DBID 2352

The one I have used before is the Iranian Ajr DBID 2108

You can add a Weapon Mount for mines to any ship however, and I think I've used that before and it works.

AndrewJ's point is the most important when laying a minefield - bottom depth. It really restricts where they can be placed.

Attachment (1)

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Mine Hints Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI