Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

German Truck Card

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Tech Support >> German Truck Card Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
German Truck Card - 2/7/2022 7:20:15 AM   
SLASKWITA

On my second play through of Wacht am Rhein. In comparison to Barbarossa, Ardenne's hex scale in conjunction with the new traffic/logistic mechanics, is proving to be a transportation nightmare in the making from the very onset. Far more punishing than Barbarossa in my opinion and a fantastic added challenge that captures an increasingly foreboding sense of urgency with every passing turn.

As a result, and after many awful decisions compounding into critical delays and near disasters the first time around, the German truck card has become my first and most invaluable investment on the second play through. Especially if the 560th VG (the 1129th regiment in particular, who are out of position in turn 1) are to ever keep pace and secure 116th Panzer's penetrations and flanks in this unforgiving and unrelenting timetable. Not to mention the 18th VG lagging behind, having been tasked earlier with clearing the 422nd Inf's dug in positions. Now, 116th Panzer has reached the rural outskirts of Samree on the morning of Dec 19th while the 82nd managed to occupy its urban center on the Allied turn. 560th VG, uncontested, secured and established a perimeter around Houfalize this time around thanks to the truck card, and the 18th VG is being shuttled in good order to the moving front as a secondary priority for the truck columns.

What I have noticed however is that neither Vigor, AP, nor Readiness recover for Battalions during transport. This would seem odd for men who have the luxury of wheeled travel for an entire day. They are picked up while in march mode, on reduced Vigor (+/- 60-70) with 0 AP, and low Readiness, in the hope of providing some respite, a reaffirmed sense of initiative, and a crisp wind in their hair before reaching the semblance of a front, reinvigorated and ready for action. After being dropped off some 3 km from suspected enemy positions or movement, and upon disembarking from their 24 hr cruise, their condition however remains as it was: a combat liability in the face of an approaching enemy.

Lastly, The Vigor of the trucks themselves seems to drop off rather quickly for a non combat unit. That is to say that the cumulative drop off is similar to that of a Motorized battalion who has moved and fought for 15 turns with little rest (one night turn). In turn 15 the Vigor of the truck column is now 68. They have been ferrying (in march mode) troops at 75% capacity (2 Inf BTN, 2 Arty BTN; Carry: 133, Manpower: 1211) to 0 AP each turn, including night movements since the card was played. While I understand that driving 3 days straight is exhausting even in shifts, they are never the less a non combat unit requiring, what I imagine in my humble opinion, is a different expression to their maintenance than that of Motorized infantry having to endure combat while also having to maintain its weaponry. If you feel however that the Vigor drop off rate is correct, could you clarify whether it is by any chance influenced by the amount of WGT or MANP? they ferry? -Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: German Truck Card - 2/7/2022 10:16:42 AM   
Vic

Can hitching a ride on a truck be considered resting? For this scale i choose no.

Vigor drops off because a unit is moving (no relation with number of troops being transported)

best
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to SLASKWITA)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Tech Support >> German Truck Card Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI