Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HOw do you guys deal with unknown enemy?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> HOw do you guys deal with unknown enemy? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HOw do you guys deal with unknown enemy? - 2/6/2022 5:55:50 PM   
Antmf_slith

For example I move into a hex and an enemy is sitting in hex next to where I move. It is unknown so what do you guys do? Do you play a recon card or try to move to get a view on what the enemy is before attacking or just attack?
Sorry for noob questions lol I am brand new to this genre... But, having a blast lol...
Post #: 1
RE: HOw do you guys deal with unknown enemy? - 2/6/2022 7:01:26 PM   
JacquesDeLalaing

Your options are:

1) Play a recon card (cheap but a general can only play 1 card per turn). IMPORTANT: All sub-elements of the unit you play the card on are affected. E.g. if you play the card on 393 IR, all three battalions and the support elements (unit representing the ATG & cannon coy.) have their recon increased.

2) Bring more troops closer. More troops bring better recon, but the effect is not linear.

3) Use air recon, if available.

4) If possible, do not advance through terrain that gives your opponent good hide.

(in reply to Antmf_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: HOw do you guys deal with unknown enemy? - 2/6/2022 8:29:14 PM   
Jagger2002

Recon, recon, recon...or just be a bull and trample your way through. What is a lump or two here or there. Of course, you could also do a probe attack. Costs some action points but usually gives you a good picture of what you are facing.

(in reply to JacquesDeLalaing)
Post #: 3
RE: HOw do you guys deal with unknown enemy? - 2/7/2022 12:40:58 PM   
ltmoravcuk

Recon by force is working the best way. Probe is not ideal.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 4
RE: HOw do you guys deal with unknown enemy? - 2/7/2022 3:04:59 PM   
Antmf_slith

So question when advancing into terrain how do I know if that hex give the enemy good hide?

And as far as playing a recon card. Can I play it on the leader and if so do all the forces underneath him get that recon bonus? Or just play it on a card and all the sub units within that element get it? Sorry a tad confused...

Post #: 5
RE: HOw do you guys deal with unknown enemy? - 2/7/2022 3:57:11 PM   
JacquesDeLalaing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagger2002

Recon, recon, recon...or just be a bull and trample your way through. What is a lump or two here or there. Of course, you could also do a probe attack. Costs some action points but usually gives you a good picture of what you are facing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ltmoravcuk

Recon by force is working the best way. Probe is not ideal.

If you can't see any enemy unit, you cannot chose to do a probe of recon in force, if I'm not mistaken?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antmf_slith

So question when advancing into terrain how do I know if that hex give the enemy good hide?

And as far as playing a recon card. Can I play it on the leader and if so do all the forces underneath him get that recon bonus? Or just play it on a card and all the sub units within that element get it? Sorry a tad confused...

You can click on any hex and chose the "HEX" tab (bottom right corner, you get HEX, UNIT, OFF.). Then, in the hex panel, extend the "Hex Stats". Here you can find the terrain's hide value (middle column). But thanks to the last patch, you don't need to check every single hex. The game will display fog of war (darkened map) in all hexes in which your recon value does not exceed the hex's hide value. So in those hexes, you don't know if there is an enemy or not.

Once you have more recon than hide, you usually get an enemy ?-counter in the hex if there is enemy presence (you can then proceed to conduct a probe or recon in force). If your recon exceeds the hide value by 20 or more, you get more detailed info on the enemy unit.

You pick the leader to play the recon card. From what I've seen, only divisional HQs have recon cards (corps, army HQs have other cards). When you play the recon card, you can select any formation that is subordinate to that HQ. All units that belong to the formation (usually an Infantry Regiment) will benefit from the card effect.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 6
RE: HOw do you guys deal with unknown enemy? - 2/7/2022 4:13:10 PM   
Antmf_slith

That clarifies a lot thank you so much...

Post #: 7
RE: HOw do you guys deal with unknown enemy? - 2/7/2022 4:47:25 PM   
Antmf_slith

Ok I have another question:
I have 2 units on a hex that shows me I have a recon value of 72 The hex next to me shows a ?enemy, but the hide value is 34. Should I be seeing specifically what that unit is? Or do I need to end the turn to find out?

Post #: 8
RE: HOw do you guys deal with unknown enemy? - 2/8/2022 5:09:36 AM   
James Taylor

There is absolutely no reasonable explanation; we should be able to conduct a recon mission on a hex whether there is an enemy ? unit displayed or not.

A perfectly viable "real life" action that took place numerous times, I know, I watched "Combat".

"Hey Sarge, why don't we send a squad into town to scout for Jerries?"

SeaMonkey

Post #: 9
RE: HOw do you guys deal with unknown enemy? - 2/8/2022 11:57:43 AM   
JacquesDeLalaing

• If your recon does not beat the hex's hide, you will not see any enemy counters in the hex. The hex is portrayed darkened (in fog of war). If you move into it, you might get ambushed.
  • If your recon beats the hex's hide by less than 20 points, you will see a ?-counter*. If you move into the hex, you cannot be ambushed and may conduct a probe/recon in force. The effect of your artillery fire on such an enemy is much reduced (the enemy is concealed and hard to spot, the fire requires "lucky hits").
  • If your recon beats the hex's hide by 20 points or more, you will see a detailed enemy counter. If you move into the hex, you cannot be ambushed and may conduct a probe/recon in force. Artillery fire has its full effect (of course the terrain's cover still comes into play...).

Note: Once you've been shown the deatiled counter, the game will continue to display it until you lose sight of it completely (usually during night turns). Note, however, that this is just to help the player remember. In terms of actual spotting (e.g. for artillery fire), only the current recon situation (not reports from previous turns, so to speak) counts.

--------------------------
    * Rare exceptions: If the enemy unit is very small and/or very experienced, he might remain hidden even if your recon is slightly higher than the hide.

< Message edited by JacquesDeLalaing -- 2/8/2022 12:01:49 PM >

• Post #: 10
    RE: HOw do you guys deal with unknown enemy? - 2/8/2022 11:59:01 AM   
    JacquesDeLalaing

It depends on your recon value in the enemy's hex. Not in the hex your unit's are in. You can check your recon value in any hex on the map!

The further away from your units, the lower your recon score, depending on weather and terrain. E.g. if the weather is mist, your recon is much reduced at one hex distance already and will be be nigh 0 at 2 hexes distance.

< Message edited by JacquesDeLalaing -- 2/8/2022 12:06:24 PM >

Post #: 11
    RE: HOw do you guys deal with unknown enemy? - 2/10/2022 1:59:48 PM   
    ltmoravcuk

If you cannot see the enemy (I hope you eman that you cannot see even icon with question mark ?) then of course you cannot attack on the hex. But on the other hand if there is just icon with ? you can always use probe or recon by force. For me the recon by force as it is in real fight always working the best way as the enemy should use more weapons (machine guns, mortars, etc.) as in the probe action what is not ideal even in real fighting. The higher recon points are the best ones even for arty shooting on te hex. Arty is reaching much more results.

Post #: 12
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> HOw do you guys deal with unknown enemy? Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI