Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

In 1980, the US Army feared Russian tanks were invincible

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> In 1980, the US Army feared Russian tanks were invincible Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
In 1980, the US Army feared Russian tanks were invincible - 2/8/2022 4:24:31 PM   
mmacguinness

Very interesting article re US Army fears of Soviet tank superiority in 1980.
https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/in-1980-the-us-army-feared-russian-tanks-were-invincible/

This is the study referred to in the article:
https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs/DOC_0001066239.pdf
Post #: 1
RE: In 1980, the US Army feared Russian tanks were invi... - 2/9/2022 11:34:28 AM   
mmacguinness

Selected quotations and related charts from the 1980 intelligence assessment:

Chart: Tank Quality: The AMSAA View

In brief, the United States is now behind, tank for tank, and even when our developmental XM-833 depleted-uranium round for the 105-mm cannon becomes available, the XM-1 is likely to be no more than an even match for the T-80.

Charts: Probability of Kill given Hit:

As may be seen, while all weapons have provided high assurance of kill against the T-62, the M735 - planned to be the most numerous round aboard US tanks - is impotent against the T-72. Our two most powerful ATGM are marginal in a frontal attack against the lower bound-best case T-72, and virtually useless against the upper bound-worst case T-72.

Chart: US ATGM vs. Soviet Tank

Our ATGM clearly can defeat the T-62, but the T-72 - and the like armored T-64 - could be largely invulnerable to them. In facvt, chances are better than 50-50 that either TOW or DRAGON would explode without effect against the nmose of the T-72, even if that tank's armor is onlt of "lower bound, best case"toughness.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mmacguinness)
Post #: 2
RE: In 1980, the US Army feared Russian tanks were invi... - 7/12/2023 2:09:25 PM   
Jeebo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mmacguinness

Selected quotations and related charts from the 1980 intelligence assessment:

Chart: Tank Quality: The AMSAA View

In brief, the United States is now behind, tank for tank, and even when our developmental XM-833 depleted-uranium round for the 105-mm cannon becomes available, the XM-1 is likely to be no more than an even match for the T-80.

Charts: Probability of Kill given Hit:

As may be seen, while all weapons have provided high assurance of kill against the T-62, the M735 - planned to be the most numerous round aboard US tanks - is impotent against the T-72. Our two most powerful ATGM are marginal in a frontal attack against the lower bound-best case T-72, and virtually useless against the upper bound-worst case T-72.

Chart: US ATGM vs. Soviet Tank

Our ATGM clearly can defeat the T-62, but the T-72 - and the like armored T-64 - could be largely invulnerable to them. In facvt, chances are better than 50-50 that either TOW or DRAGON would explode without effect against the nmose of the T-72, even if that tank's armor is onlt of "lower bound, best case"toughness.

To be expected, USSR was investing mad amounts of money into their military complex, basically always expecting a war to start. Still pretty interesting that M735 wasn't enough for the T-72 armor. Showed this article to a few folks that I've been getting used guns(https://gritrsports.com/shooting/firearms/used-guns/ if it's beater stuff I'm usually getting from this store though) from and they really liked it!

< Message edited by Jeebo -- 7/26/2023 2:51:55 PM >

(in reply to mmacguinness)
Post #: 3
RE: In 1980, the US Army feared Russian tanks were invi... - 7/17/2023 3:45:59 PM   
Jeebo

Small upd. - There are another interesting article about this on forecast international on this topic, can't link it due to forum restrictions sadly...

(in reply to Jeebo)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> In 1980, the US Army feared Russian tanks were invincible Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI