Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Germans in Vietnam ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> Germans in Vietnam ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/9/2022 8:05:17 AM   
devoncop

Hi

I am playing a German guy called Thomas in MP and he noticed that the sound file that plays following a melee apppears to be voices calling for a medic...in German ? Is this a hangover from EF ?

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
Post #: 1
RE: Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/9/2022 8:19:37 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: devoncop

Hi

I am playing a German guy called Thomas in MP and he noticed that the sound file that plays following a melee apppears to be voices calling for a medic...in German ? Is this a hangover from EF ?

Yes, it is a typo in Sounds.dat and should have been corrected in the living patch if you are using it.

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 2
RE: Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/9/2022 8:23:01 AM   
devoncop

Ah good to know

I will wait for the upcoming official patch due to my luddite IT skills but thanks for the update.

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 3
RE: Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/9/2022 10:30:19 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: devoncop

Ah good to know

I will wait for the upcoming official patch due to my luddite IT skills but thanks for the update.

Here's the proper Sounds.dat with a snippet for the first few rows:

quote:

5 4 5 5 5 3 2 2 3 2 2 3 5 1 2 3 4 3 1 2 2 1 1 1 1 3 1 5 1 2 1 1 3 1 2
5 4 2 2 1 2 1 5 1 1 1 1 5 1 1 1 1 3 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
7 1 1
2 2 8 2
0 0 0 0

The first number on third row should be "7", to indicate Vietnam would use assault sounds assault0 - assault6. Our Eastern Front BETA then has an "8" indicating Assault7.ogg is OK to play as well, calling for Sanitäter. However a wrong version slipped into 1.00.

Rather embarrasing for me, tons of fun to everyone's who've noticed it though

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 4
RE: Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/9/2022 10:34:37 AM   
Crossroads

Btw, we are separating the "WW2" and "Modern" sound libraries at the moment, with new sounds being added to "Modern" collection, including better assault sound files, AK-47 barks in rifle platoons, etc. Shorter Helicopter and aircraft suonds etc.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 5
RE: Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/9/2022 11:32:04 AM   
devoncop

Oh cool.

Thomas mentioned that in infantry fire fights there is also the sound what something bouncing off an armoured vehicle....I can't say I have noticed it but I am concentrating on seeing how many ARVN I can down :-)

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 6
RE: Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/9/2022 12:27:18 PM   
Twotribes

There were Germans there in the French Foreign legion )

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 7
RE: Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/9/2022 1:11:08 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

There were Germans there in the French Foreign legion )

That is true, so for the French scenarios it is not so out of place. In Civil war and US scenarios not perhaps the best sound bite to have playing...

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 8
RE: Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/9/2022 7:13:08 PM   
theWombat

Heh, noticed this too. The first time though I was playing a battle with the Foreign Legion, which as I understand it in Indochina had a lot of former Wehrmacht and Waffen SS soldiers in its ranks. So I figured, wow, that's a cool detail! Now only to find out it's a bug! Of course, when I heard the same sound clip from other units, I knew it was a glitch....

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 9
RE: Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/9/2022 7:58:27 PM   
Jason Petho

With the 1.10 UPDATE, there will be some new assault sounds.

Stay tuned!

(in reply to theWombat)
Post #: 10
RE: Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/13/2022 4:52:18 PM   
LN59

quote:

ORIGINAL: theWombat

Heh, noticed this too. The first time though I was playing a battle with the Foreign Legion, which as I understand it in Indochina had a lot of former Wehrmacht and Waffen SS soldiers in its ranks. So I figured, wow, that's a cool detail! Now only to find out it's a bug! Of course, when I heard the same sound clip from other units, I knew it was a glitch....

Germans certainly, but not only or mainly!

Many Alsatians and Lorrainers too, these bilingual French citizens annexed once again by Germany in 1940 as after 1870. Some of whom found themselves forcibly enrolled in the Wehrmacht or even in the Waffen-SS because their family was hostage of the Nazis. They designated themselves by the expression of "Malgré-nous" (Despite Us) and some, prisoners of the Soviets, didn't return until many years after the war, in particular after having known the gulag very closely, at the Tambov camp. A subject still very delicate nowadays in France, and especially for what follows...

Because others annexed people, those volunteers and pro-Nazis, joined by ideology or by unconscious taste for adventure. The few rare survivors, who returned very discreetly to France after the Liberation or the capitulation of May 1945 and if they had not committed war crimes in France itself, such as in Ascq near Lille (w/12.SS PzDiv Hitlerjugend, april 1, 1944) or Tulle and Oradour-sur-Glane (w/2.SS PzDiv Das Reich, june 9-10, 1944), then saw each other "advise" a voluntary engagement in the Foreign Legion and the departure without delay towards Indochina to be forgotten there or better: to die there (with dignity) for France.

On this subject and on the French war in Indochina in general, I can only recommend the excellent movie (B&W) by the French writer, reporter and director Pierre Schoendoerffer (1928-2012; of Alsatian roots): "La 317e Section" (1964) where one of the two main roles is precisely that of "Adjutant Willsdorff", a veteran of the Eastern Front. Schoendoerffer is also the director of "La Section Anderson" (1967) which won the Oscar for best documentary film in 1968. As for his masterful and latest film, "Diên Biên Phu", its title speaks for itself.

Best Regards from France,
LN59

< Message edited by LN59 -- 2/23/2022 5:42:28 AM >

"On ne passe pas !"
The French soldiers' motto (Verdun, 1916)

"One does not pass! The Covid-19 even less."
Years 2020, 2021 motto, 2022 distant memory

(in reply to theWombat)
Post #: 11
RE: Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/13/2022 5:32:12 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: LN59

On this subject and on the French war in Indochina in general, I can only recommend the excellent film (B&W) by the French writer, reporter and director Pierre Schoendoerffer (1928-2012): "La 317e Section" (1964) where one of the two main roles is precisely that of "Adjutant Willsdorff", a veteran of the Eastern Front. Schoendoerffer is also the director of "La Section Anderson" (1967) which won the Oscar for best documentary film in 1968.

Best Regards from France,
LN59

I just watched this a month ago or so, as I found out it was available in Netflix. Truly a great movie, my recommendations as well. Schoendoerffer's Dien Bien Phu film should become available in Netflix too, it was first scheduled for January, then it disappeared - or the advert did - and now the advert is back, albeit without a date.

(in reply to LN59)
Post #: 12
RE: Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/13/2022 5:59:43 PM   
berto

quote:

Heh, noticed this too. The first time though I was playing a battle with the Foreign Legion, which as I understand it in Of course, when I heard the same sound clip from other units, I knew it was a glitch....

Not soon, but in far future updates, and new game releases, we will have a redesigned sounds system where we can tie sounds to sides/nations. So for example if "Sanitäter!" plays in game, it will only play for the German side, and not for the Soviets.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to theWombat)
Post #: 13
RE: Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/13/2022 6:37:47 PM   
carll11

quote:

The penultimate counter attack to re-take Elaine 1 by the french was accompanied by the legion troops singing a german marching song as they moved into the attack, also the last former high ranking surviving Legion officer in an interview several years stated that if he had had 10,000 ss troops they would have held Dien ben Phu..

(in reply to theWombat)
Post #: 14
RE: Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/16/2022 4:11:27 PM   
Woolybear

quote:

ORIGINAL: carll11

quote:

The penultimate counter attack to re-take Elaine 1 by the french was accompanied by the legion troops singing a german marching song as they moved into the attack, also the last former high ranking surviving Legion officer in an interview several years stated that if he had had 10,000 ss troops they would have held Dien ben Phu..

Due to the massive influx of German POWs given the choice to remain captive or fight in Indochina with the Legion, their arrival set in stone today's music in the Legion. Many songs in German still exist, the 3emeREI has Anne-Marie as the Regimental song and many other songs of German origin were given French lyrics particularly between the period 54-62 "Ich Hatte Einen Kamaraden / J'avais un Camarade" for example. The Indochina campaign also left it's mark particularly in the paras (2REP) the current guardians of the traditions of the BEP (Bataillons Etranger Parachutistes) who served in Indochina (and were totally decimated on several occasions), who were later to become part of the 3 para regiments formed in Algeria. Today the 2nd company has 'Contre Les Viets' (Against the Viets) as the company song - sung every working day on the way to the mess for lunch!

LPN

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 15
RE: Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/16/2022 6:05:22 PM   
devoncop

Thank you Carl and Woolybear for those fascinating insights.

History is so full of of such amazing facts that it is tragic that the standard of teaching history these days is so often poor.

(in reply to Woolybear)
Post #: 16
RE: Germans in Vietnam ? - 2/17/2022 5:33:56 AM   
LN59

quote:

Due to the massive influx of German POWs given the choice to remain captive or fight in Indochina with the Legion, their arrival set in stone today's music in the Legion.

Germans in Indochina?
I confirm. And nuance...

An example. The song "Être et durer" (Being and Lasting) of the Foreign Legion and the Army (Paratroopers; Infanterie de Marine, heiress of the colonial troops, including the 3e RPIMa) was written after 1945 on music from 1935. This is associated to a famous marching song of the Wehrmacht (1937) then of the Bundeswehr (until a German controversy in 2017): Westerwaldlied. However, the German lyrics written in 1932 evoke only the love of a region conducive to hiking and pleasant encounters, the Westerwald, a small mountain range near the Rhine. The inspiration for this song comes from folklore and in good part from the great youth movement founded in 1896, the Wandervogel (the Migratory Bird) dissolved in favor of the Hitler Jugend. The French lyrics are much more warlike than the original, even though it was sung by fierce veterans of the Eastern Front enlisted under the tricolor.

Many German PoW had another choice than "L'Indo". Certainly in violation of the Geneva Conventions when it comes to demining what they and the fighting had left with us. Minefields, bombs and unexploded ordnance, among others. We still find these death machines from the two world wars. There would still be four centuries of "natural" cleaning! In 1945, this involved thousands of km² of coastline, mountainous regions, roads, structures and bombed cities. Out of 200,000 German prisoners of war taken in France and a total of 750,000 (at most) detained at the end of 1945, less than 50,000 had to demine, supervised by the Army. If many of them lost their lives there, this was also the case among the 3200 French volunteers for this terrible work, in addition to many civilians of all ages who were victims of accidents. Dangerous work, essential for the future reconstruction of a country impoverished and ravaged by six years of war and occupation, which began long before May 8, 1945, when our soldiers (450,000 at the end of 1943; 1,200,000 at the end of 1944) and the resistance fighters fought alongside the Allies as well as around pockets of the Atlantic. The French prisoners of 1940 (1,845,000) were far from all having returned to the country at the start of 1945.

The question is: out of a maximum of 750,000 Germans "at the disposal of France" for the period 1945-1948, how many actually joined the French Army?

Less than ten thousand for sure! A few thousand? Perhaps... A few tens or hundreds, much more likely. Which isn't incompatible with what I wrote above about Alsatians and Lorrainers, on the contrary! There are no official statistics on this subject and one can always wonder why. As a reminder, the workforce of the CEFEO (French Expeditionary Corps in the Far East) is estimated at 115,000 for 1946-1949 and 177,000 for 1954. One thing is certain, these German prisoners were undoubtedly more numerous when they were called upon as free and salaried workers (thus volunteers) from 1946.

Quote: "With the exception of prisoners sentenced for common law offences, all German prisoners were released by the end of 1948 at the latest, in accordance with international agreements governing the detention of German prisoners. Some estimate that 30,000 Germans chose to remain in France after their detention" (Wikipedia article linked below).

History is made like this: of complexity. Like Life or any mother tongue. And myths die hard!
I am giving you some useful links so that you can make up your own mind.
I want to make it clear that I've been teaching history for over 37 years and I continue to study it, every day God makes.
Lilian

Westerwaldlied - Wikipedia article (EN): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerwaldlied

Westerwaldlied - German March (GE) with lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPxbEw27BDY&ab_channel=DeroVolkTV

The song "Être et durer" by the RPIMa (FR) with lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4rJMGc57mY&ab_channel=ParaFran%C3%A7ais

The Wandervogel youth movement - Wikipedia article (EN): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandervogel

Demining operation (FR) - Video with text of one page easily translated by Google Translate:
http://museedelaresistanceenligne.org/media4138-OpA

German PoWs of the Second World War in France (see graphic) - Wikipedia (FR):
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Prisoners_of_war_of_the_Second_World_War_in_France#p-lang-btn

German prisoners of war in France (1944-1949) - National Archives (FR):
https://www.siv.archives-nationales.culture.gouv.fr/siv/cms/content/helpGuide.action;jsessionid=F9BF46DC86FF3F7E355174BA1D923C90?preview=false&uuid=b9319616-b743-4418-abb3-d32f880f15b3

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LN59 -- 2/17/2022 10:11:09 AM >

"On ne passe pas !"
The French soldiers' motto (Verdun, 1916)

"One does not pass! The Covid-19 even less."
Years 2020, 2021 motto, 2022 distant memory

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> Germans in Vietnam ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI