Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

It would be cool if - Tech Trading and Stealing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> It would be cool if - Tech Trading and Stealing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
It would be cool if - Tech Trading and Stealing - 2/12/2022 6:21:11 PM   
zgrssd

Tech Trading - and by extension stealing - is a important setting. However I do not think that single, binary yes/no realy works.
It propably never worked in DW1, but now we actually can do something about it

So, it would be cool if:

Different Setting for AI and players

The most common argument for disabling Tech Trading is "it is to easy to abuse by the player".
But if there is only one setting, that means you also turn it off for the AI. Limiting the challenge it can put up.

So as minimum, please give us seperate settings for AI and Players. That alone would be a huge step forward.

Diplomacy tech only

A slight step up from general No.
Diplomatic Techs (knowing their language, customs, legends) are nessesary for decent diplomacy and espionage.
But under a "General No" they would be accessible.
I think a few players would prefer if they could still trade for Diplomatic techs.

Limited Depth only

One issue with Tech Trading is that you can get very deep into a tree with only 1 trade (or a chain of consecutive trades). It might help if progress was less instant.

Maybe you only earn a free crash project in the tech, rather then the full on tech?
Or maybe there is a lockout period during which you can not use the tech to trade for more tech?

Tech Stealing

Tech Stealing seems to be seen overall a lot less critical. As it both takes time and hasa risk of diplomatic incidents.
But as another thread pointed out, maybe it could be less focussed and less clear about the availible tech?
Like only allowing to aim for tech categories, with no specific tech selection (which also spoils what they have) This would also make the UI a much more readable given you need at tops ~20 entries rather then a entire tech trees worth of it.
Post #: 1
RE: It would be cool if - Tech Trading and Stealing - 2/12/2022 6:27:25 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

Some games also limit tech to no tech brokering... which mean you can only trade technology which you yourself discovered. So you can't buy a tech from empire A and then sell it to empire B.

I also like the free crash research effect of any traded tech instead of instantaneously get it, or you could get half the research of a tech you trade, you then need to finish it yourself.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 2/12/2022 6:29:25 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> It would be cool if - Tech Trading and Stealing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI