Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

No airports in urban centers / mountains

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> No airports in urban centers / mountains Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No airports in urban centers / mountains - 2/12/2022 6:27:08 PM   
jubjub

New airfields should not be allowed to be constructed in mountains or urban centers. There's just not enough space in these areas to create airfields if they're not already there. New airfields would be built outside of the city center.

There's problematic areas like Yalta and Stalingrad that hold out for much longer than they should be able to with the benefits of air supply.
Post #: 1
RE: No airports in urban centers / mountains - 2/12/2022 6:38:16 PM   
Zebtucker12

First thing that comes to mind is the airfield the germans constructed in breslau.

Axis Bias mod developer. Xhoel Fanboy. Red army choir enthusiast.
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5144537&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to jubjub)
Post #: 2
RE: No airports in urban centers / mountains - 2/12/2022 6:48:24 PM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zebtucker12

First thing that comes to mind is the airfield the germans constructed in breslau.

Yup, was going to mention that as well.

I see the point of restricting such builds for mountain/rough hexes (I thought that was already the case) but not for Urban hexes.

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

(in reply to Zebtucker12)
Post #: 3
RE: No airports in urban centers / mountains - 2/12/2022 10:20:46 PM   
thedoctorking

The Germans landed planes on Unter den Linden in Berlin during the battle of Berlin, first cutting down the famous linden trees. Many European cities have similar long, straight avenues that are wide enough to serve as improvised runways, especially for slow-moving transport planes.

< Message edited by thedoctorking -- 2/12/2022 10:21:10 PM >

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 4
RE: No airports in urban centers / mountains - 2/12/2022 11:17:40 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

quote:

ORIGINAL: jubjub

New airfields should not be allowed to be constructed in mountains or urban centers. There's just not enough space in these areas to create airfields if they're not already there. New airfields would be built outside of the city center.

There's problematic areas like Yalta and Stalingrad that hold out for much longer than they should be able to with the benefits of air supply.

Until recently Berlin had two airports capable of handling modern airliners near the city centre, and one actually within the inner metro ring.
And 1940s propeller aircraft were way less demanding in terms of infrastructure than todays planes. So airfield construction in Urban/heavy urban terrain should remain possible considering we are talking about a hexagon of 10 miles size.

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 2/12/2022 11:18:14 PM >

(in reply to jubjub)
Post #: 5
RE: No airports in urban centers / mountains - 2/13/2022 2:56:17 AM   
Hardradi

I think in Mountainous terrain it might be reasonable to limit it to a level 1 air field. For example, there was a simple airstrip on the Kokoda Track in the New Guinea Highlands which took limited air traffic.

Its very situational, mountain ranges can be quite different geologically. Some have substantial plateau's. Some have huge wide river beds that I imagine could take an airfield.

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 6
RE: No airports in urban centers / mountains - 2/13/2022 9:49:28 AM   
Denniss

reminds me of the old Hongkong airport where jets had to avoid tall buildings in their pathway.
But I would understand if we limit airports from expanding in urban areas, Mountain areas should be a no-go for airbase construction (and expansion if existing)

(in reply to Hardradi)
Post #: 7
RE: No airports in urban centers / mountains - 2/13/2022 3:44:49 PM   
Cavalry Corp

You flew into the old HK airport!! That was crazy - you could even look at people doing their washing up whilst in a 747 ... Those were the days - love HK !

Work took me to China and HK a lot but since C has come we are not it seems going back anytime soon.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> No airports in urban centers / mountains Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI