Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some Rules Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Some Rules Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some Rules Questions - 2/8/2022 7:37:30 PM   
Shkwaug

I have played several of the small scenarios, and I am really enjoying the game. I do have a couple of rule questions, however.

1) Landscape modifier [attack score] (Pg. 102 of manual): I am not quite sure I understand this table with how it relates to indirect fire. If I am using divisional artillery for a ranged attack, then I look at the left column. This suggests that I should place the artillery regiments in Plains or Fields to maximize the Ranged Attack, as they otherwise get a penalty? How does that relate to the height difference? Does the right column for the defender terrain matter if they do not return fire?

2) Replacement troops: I do not really understand how it is decided which HQ replacements troops are assigned too. Reading the manual, it seems when you play "replacements" they troops " will be added to the troops of your highest HQ(s)". How does this work if there are 2 highest level HQs (like in the Arracourt scenario as the Germans)? Do they then go to the troops in the next turns logistic phase? Is there a way to see which replacement troops are in the HQ?

3) New Combat units: When you play a combat unit card, how does it decide which HQ to be assigned too? I assume that some of the low PP cards are preset to be a part of an HQ, but the more expensive cards (like a new tank battalion in the West Wall scenario) seem to be random from my limited play time.

I really enjoyed the scenarios I've played, definitely excited to try the Grand Campaigns once I am a little more familiar with the tactics/ruleset.
Post #: 1
RE: Some Rules Questions - 2/9/2022 8:49:20 PM   
SLASKWITA

Here's what I have learnt thus far:

1. If you are firing from plains and fields your guns are 100% effective. In all other terrains they suffer the effectiveness % penalty listed in the table (the same applies to the guns returning fire). At the same time if you expect return fire, you will be less likely to suffer casualties if in terrain that provides cover (hide) and your level of entrenchment. Recon points also play a role in ranged (at least I think this also applies to enemy return fire) you can find the amount of recon your enemy has on you in the DEFENDER column under COMBAT TOTALS in the Combat window. Height difference only becomes important if either guns gain an LOS on the others hex position. Otherwise, at least in my experience it does not play a role in ranged fire Gun on Gun. I don't think defender terrain penalties apply if there is no expected return fire. Although in some rare instances, Allied artillery has replied in kind to my bombardments even though no return fire was expected. This however could have been because I ranged more than one arty battalion, one of which the enemy could return fire to, however the tallied result text still said that 'no return fire expected'

2. If you check UI: STATS/REGIME STATISTICS/REPLACEMENTS RECIEVED you will see exactly how many and to whom your requested replacements are being assigned. Replacements are distributed based on priority levels under UNIT STANDING ORDERS.

3. It has been a while since I played West Wall ( I remember it being quite an exhilarating scenario. Putting out fires left right and center!) My experience in playing unit cards is that the ones you mention, subordinate to the HQ that is nearest to the location of their deployment. You can of course reassign them to another HQ in exchange for a readiness penalty.

Good luck in the grand campaign! It really is a synthesis in applying what one learns from all the scenarios. It's both very big and very claustrophobic.

< Message edited by SLASKWITA -- 2/9/2022 8:57:03 PM >

(in reply to Shkwaug)
Post #: 2
RE: Some Rules Questions - 2/10/2022 10:18:03 PM   
SLASKWITA

Height difference btw indirect fire attacker and defender only applies when the indirect fire attacker has direct LOS on an adjacent enemy HEX below. You can find the % buffs on the bottom of p98 in the manual. They are quite strong: 50% increase for 1 height level diff. 100% increase for 2 height level diff, and 150% increase for 3 height level diff.

For all other direct fire units, whether ranged or direct attack, height diff affects defender HP. You can find the table on p106.

(in reply to SLASKWITA)
Post #: 3
RE: Some Rules Questions - 2/11/2022 7:47:59 AM   
Vic

On point 1... when firing your artillery: it is the landscape type of the target that modifies the effectiveness, NOT the hex they occupy.

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to SLASKWITA)
Post #: 4
RE: Some Rules Questions - 2/12/2022 9:21:43 PM   
Shkwaug

Thanks for the help!

I figured I was missing something with the replacements.

Just to clarify, for the artillery only the terrain its targeting matters? The terrain it is in does not matter for its combat effectiveness?

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 5
RE: Some Rules Questions - 2/13/2022 1:48:00 PM   
FlyingEagle

Out of curious I tested it: The landscape modifier in the combat odds calculator stays the same, no matter in which hex your arty is located.

(in reply to Shkwaug)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Some Rules Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI