Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/15/2022 12:20:46 AM   
U235

[/quote]
A poster on the Steam forums made an extremely good point. To paraphrase, when you buy on Steam, it counts towards the Steam global sales charts, meaning that more people are exposed to the game through Steam's algorithms, especially if it becomes a top-selling product.

If offered the choice between the revenue of 1x$50 or 10x$35, I'd pick the $350, but that's just me.

Of course, Matrix/Steam prices are the same, Matrix has a USA office and benchmarks the international prices to the US price.

It could be that foreign currency fee is something the Australasian banks dreamed up to reduce transaction fees for all customers to only those buying in foreign currencies.
[/quote]

While I'm sure Steam gets many more views than Matrix, you'd have to assume a 1:10 sales ratio in the example is accurate, and I'm not suggesting that is not possible. Of course Steam's 30% cut must be factored in as well. I do believe there are many people out there like me that have been Matrix customers long before they had Steam accounts, as this was and is the place for war and strategy games. This genre is probably the smallest of all available game types, not including shooters.

Some, not all by any means, of the Steam community are fickle, and if the game doesn't have the latest bells and whistle graphics, they aren't interested, and their comments/criticisms can kill decent games. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people on Steam complain about the price of DW:U over the years because it wasn't permanently discounted as it aged. I'm sure Matrix/Slitherine know what's best for their marketing, as well as the pitfalls.

I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum wants the game to do well, and have the developers properly and fairly rewarded for their long, hard work so they will continue to support the game for a long time to come. Cheers.

(in reply to StormingKiwi)
Post #: 31
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/15/2022 12:45:52 AM   
Cauldyth

*shrug* - the devs expressed their preference we buy it from Matrix, so I bought it from Matrix. I'll let them decide their sales strategy, rather than second guess it.

(in reply to U235)
Post #: 32
RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? - 2/15/2022 4:31:03 AM   
StormingKiwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: U235

While I'm sure Steam gets many more views than Matrix, you'd have to assume a 1:10 sales ratio in the example is accurate, and I'm not suggesting that is not possible. Of course Steam's 30% cut must be factored in as well. I do believe there are many people out there like me that have been Matrix customers long before they had Steam accounts, as this was and is the place for war and strategy games. This genre is probably the smallest of all available game types, not including shooters.

Some, not all by any means, of the Steam community are fickle, and if the game doesn't have the latest bells and whistle graphics, they aren't interested, and their comments/criticisms can kill decent games. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people on Steam complain about the price of DW:U over the years because it wasn't permanently discounted as it aged. I'm sure Matrix/Slitherine know what's best for their marketing, as well as the pitfalls.

I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum wants the game to do well, and have the developers properly and fairly rewarded for their long, hard work so they will continue to support the game for a long time to come. Cheers.

$50 x 0.7 = $35. As long as there are 43% more sales on Steam than on Matrix/Slitherine...

(in reply to U235)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: Purchase on Matrixgames -> Steam Key? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI