Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Army numbers and representation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Army numbers and representation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Army numbers and representation - 2/15/2022 3:14:25 PM   
EmperorKirk

This is a tiny request and most people will probably not care about this, which is fair enough. But I have noticed that in the streams when you invade a colony it no longer shows the number of troops just army strength vs army strength. I think that’s a bit of a missed opportunity, one thing I loved in distant worlds 1 was seeing the actual number of soldiers. Say I'm the Terran Republic I invade the Boskaran home world with 3.2 million Terran soldiers 14 infantry battalion, 6 armored battalions and 3 spec ops battalions, and the planet is protected by 3.4 million Boskaran troops.

I bloody love this seeing the actual number of troops fighting and dying and the civilian casualties makes it feel so much more like an actual planetary invasion, and it makes me more attached to my troops bleeding for this. So, my little request could there be a toggle in the options to show actual number, the army strength vs army strength is very similar to how it's done in Stellaris and not a huge fan of that makes the battles feel less like battles. I fully understand if you see no point adding this, then don’t but still would love to see the soldiers' numbers like in the first game

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by EmperorKirk -- 2/15/2022 6:21:50 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/15/2022 3:38:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

I don't recall that being in Distant Worlds: Universe, but maybe I'm forgetting. I think we had strength vs. strength in DW1 as well. The units in DW2 are intended to represent something in the realm of a brigade or division.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to EmperorKirk)
Post #: 2
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/15/2022 4:02:31 PM   
EmperorKirk

Been playing Distant Worlds 1 a lot lately it definitely shows troops numbers both in overview of the colony and the battle screen, I think there is an army strength value as well. But in the battles, it shows full numbers. Again, this is very picky thing but for me it made the battles come more alive. If this would require a lot of work then it's not worth it, but if it’s a little UI toggle option that could be added then I would very much appreciate it :-)

< Message edited by EmperorKirk -- 2/15/2022 4:03:07 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/15/2022 5:21:04 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I don't recall that being in Distant Worlds: Universe, but maybe I'm forgetting. I think we had strength vs. strength in DW1 as well. The units in DW2 are intended to represent something in the realm of a brigade or division.

Regards,

- Erik

I can not remember DW1 listing numbers either.
There was a figure in the thousands, but that was combat strenght.

However if those units are divisions, they are a few orders of magnitude to small. Russia in WW2 had like 300 Divisions (10k-20k Soldiers). Unless the scale is not NATO standart.

If wew account for the fact that the starting planets are relatively sparsely population with like < 3 Billion, Army (4X; 100k) is the lowest that would make some sense. With Front/Army Group (5x, 120k-500k) and Region or Theather (6x; 250k - 1000k+) being much closer.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/15/2022 5:22:37 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: EmperorKirk

Been playing Distant Worlds 1 a lot lately it definitely shows troops numbers both in overview of the colony and the battle screen, I think there is an army strength value as well. But in the battles, it shows full numbers. Again, this is very picky thing but for me it made the battles come more alive. If this would require a lot of work then it's not worth it, but if it’s a little UI toggle option that could be added then I would very much appreciate it :-)

I have it open right now but can find nothing of the sort. Could you share a picture of it maybe?

Post #: 5
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/15/2022 5:28:54 PM   
EmperorKirk

Maybe im being dumb, but i swear you can see numbers, will take a picture later on, in a Hearts of iron 4 multiplayer game right now!

< Message edited by EmperorKirk -- 2/15/2022 5:30:58 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 6
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/15/2022 6:02:01 PM   
EmperorKirk

So is this not numbers 2800k is 2.8 million troops right?, you can see the Shakturi is getting some of the troops 149k from the population as well. I always took that as the real troop numbers i might be very wrong!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by EmperorKirk -- 2/15/2022 6:38:24 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 7
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/15/2022 6:58:09 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

I suppose you can view the troops in any numbers you wish... I always envisioned each unit was at least a Corps worth of troops if not more. In the grand scheme of things I don't think it matters much. But large battles certainly would be troops in the millions of individuals involved.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 2/15/2022 6:59:13 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/15/2022 7:15:58 PM   
EmperorKirk

Indeed, I just assumed since k means thousand that that would be 2.8mil, that’s one thing that I really enjoyed about Distant Worlds the scale felt more grounded than a lot of other 4x games. Example Galactic Civilization 2 a game I love you literally took a transport put 4 out five billion people from a planet and dumped it on an enemy colony, that always felt a bit silly. But as said this is me being very picky :-)

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 9
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/15/2022 7:31:14 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

So is this not numbers 2800k is 2.8 million troops right?, you can see the Shakturi is getting some of the troops 149k from the population as well. I always took that as the real troop numbers i might be very wrong!

As I read it:
Defender has 1141k Combat strenght.
This is including 149k Combat Strenght they get form Population.

If this was not combat strenght, then that figure would be pretty useless at that part of the UI.

The mechanic still exists in DW2, but by spawning Militia Armies.
And after some issues during the streams, now the System and Planet Cards should even including that extra strenght

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 2/15/2022 7:32:58 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/15/2022 7:45:54 PM   
EmperorKirk

You are probably right, still I think in my head I like to think of it as the numbers, and yeah it would be a bit useless in the UI, but if they can include it as an option in Distant Worlds 2 would be cool. It makes the battle seem more epic and deadly in my opinion. Funny that I have been thinking about it wrong all these years

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 11
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/15/2022 8:24:37 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

I've been avoiding the streams because I want to play the game fresh when it unlocks but is there still a ground battle screen with graphics for troops and structures like in DWU or is it just numbers now?

Post #: 12
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/15/2022 8:45:40 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

I've been avoiding the streams because I want to play the game fresh when it unlocks but is there still a ground battle screen with graphics for troops and structures like in DWU or is it just numbers now?

It is similar as the one in DWU... I think they also said it will change some for the final release... or at least part of the ground troop management interface.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 2/15/2022 8:50:43 PM >

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 13
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/15/2022 9:52:53 PM   
EmperorKirk

I do actually miss the little 2d sprites a little, they were unique and some of species had really cool ones like the Wekarus had like warriors with the staff weapons from stargate. But I do understand the change to more military/NATO like symbols, that being said I don’t mind if they later add little army sprites again!

Post #: 14
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/15/2022 9:53:20 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

As with so many questions the answer is: It is basically like in DW1, with better graphics and options.
Units are shown as NATO counters as a stopgap. I think proper images will come after release?

Main mechanical differences are that now Militias actually spawn as units, the addition of a new Stat "Evasion" and lategame units called "Titans".

Post #: 15
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/16/2022 6:44:59 AM   
Mightymaster

quote:

I do actually miss the little 2d sprites a little, they were unique and some of species had really cool ones like the Wekarus had like warriors with the staff weapons from stargate. But I do understand the change to more military/NATO like symbols, that being said I don’t mind if they later add little army sprites again!

I would also love to see little army sprites :)

Post #: 16
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/16/2022 6:53:45 AM   
StormingKiwi

2D sprites for armies are definitely needed. There has been some confusion in the streams I have seen about troop strength, so those units should be represented with different icons so they are easily distinguishable from one another.

For example, it appears that infantry has a strength dependent on their species.
But every other troop type it doesn't matter as much.

(in reply to Mightymaster)
Post #: 17
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/16/2022 7:34:35 AM   
Mightymaster

Maybe a little bit off topic: I know there are defensive buildings that help to defend invassions. Are there also planetary weapons which can fire into the orbit and destroy ships?

(in reply to StormingKiwi)
Post #: 18
RE: Army numbers and representation - 2/16/2022 9:23:55 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mightymaster

Maybe a little bit off topic: I know there are defensive buildings that help to defend invassions. Are there also planetary weapons which can fire into the orbit and destroy ships?

DW1 had the Planetary Ion Cannon.
And I am pretty sure DW2 Orbital Defense Units fire Point Defense shots visible on the space layer.
The Mortalan had a "Planteray Torpedo Launcher" in their home System. So that planet at least shoots back

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 2/16/2022 9:24:40 AM >

(in reply to Mightymaster)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Army numbers and representation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI