Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AGM-158B JASSM-ER running out of energy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> AGM-158B JASSM-ER running out of energy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AGM-158B JASSM-ER running out of energy - 2/13/2022 2:37:53 AM   
stolypin

I'm playing Kushan's Iran Strike scenario using AGM-158B JASSM-ERs loaded on B-2s and am having a problem with these weapons running out of energy and self-destructing early. If I launch them manually at about 50% of the depicted range, they will hit and detonate. But if I set up a strike a mission (in which they launch at maximum range), they never make it to the target. I'm running Build 1147.41 (though I had the same problem with 1147.40).
Post #: 1
RE: AGM-158B JASSM-ER running out of energy - 2/13/2022 7:06:07 AM   
Dimitris

Save file ?

(in reply to stolypin)
Post #: 2
RE: AGM-158B JASSM-ER running out of energy - 2/13/2022 5:14:43 PM   
stolypin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dimitris

Save file ?

See attached. B-2s have targeted various land sites pursuant to a strike mission. Missiles will launch but will run out of energy before reaching target.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 3
RE: AGM-158B JASSM-ER running out of energy - 2/16/2022 2:56:46 AM   
KnightHawk75

Experienced the same as the OP with the given scene, 64 out of 64 falling short (quite a bit short).
Same unit type firing at max range as well with AGM-158C's turns up the same, 64 of 64 falling short when fired near max range.
The fuel is there, appears to be consumed at the rate it should be.
Measuring distance traveled per time-frame (1 minute should be ~10nm at 600kts) though it's falling significantly short most minutes varying between ~3.x and 10. Then I remembered the terrain.

Pitch is accounted for and I think grd speed not airspeed is used for movement distance with terrain following AGMs. You can see the Gnd Speed changing(often) over that terrain, but also to extremes when the pitch is extreme, (gui GndSpeed at times drops as low as 100kts)? Seems like WAD to model realism. I wonder if anything's changed in last couple months such that maybe it's more
noticeable than perhaps it used to be, or it's just the topography.

But this can cause an issue with the mission planner/autotargeting because it's going to think the AGM's are in range doing a line calculation and not account for terrain it doesn't know about (idt anyway).
This can cause some users confusion as well, such that if say 95% of the path is over water or flat land, you'll basically get full range, but if you're bobbing up and down over hills and mountains it adds up. So you have to remember to factor that into planning, the more extreme and constant the bobbing the more you lose. It's realistic but it does cause issues like with your sample as other system use the full range for release guidance and prelaunch distance checks vs what will be the actual distance over a give path that may be taken.

TLDR: Terrain following and the related ground-speed changes are stealing your max-distance, and the mission planner/auto targeting can't account for the terrain. Try a mission WRA setting on the munitions for like 10-15% less than max range if the likely paths include long mountain ranges,if you do the mission planner will adjust the release point.

< Message edited by KnightHawk75 -- 2/16/2022 3:00:10 AM >

(in reply to stolypin)
Post #: 4
RE: AGM-158B JASSM-ER running out of energy - 2/16/2022 4:43:00 AM   
Dimitris

We are aware of the issue and are looking at remedies. The simplest one is to provide extra buffer on the fuel calculations during Db validation, but we are also considering more elaborate alternatives.

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 5
RE: AGM-158B JASSM-ER running out of energy - 2/16/2022 2:25:47 PM   
stolypin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dimitris

We are aware of the issue and are looking at remedies. The simplest one is to provide extra buffer on the fuel calculations during Db validation, but we are also considering more elaborate alternatives.

Thanks!

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> AGM-158B JASSM-ER running out of energy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI