Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> After Action Reports >> 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 1/26/2022 6:55:11 PM   
rjh1971

Here we go once more, this time I'm playing Germany, Tim will lead Japan, Goran Russia + China and Dalibor the WA.

First standard turn where everything went smoothly, Poland was taken and its resources, factory and rail repaired

Denmark was also invaded

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
Post #: 1
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 1/26/2022 6:56:28 PM   
rjh1971

Forgot to say Good Luck to all of you.

This game will be tougher, Goran and Dalibor are now expert players

Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 2
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 1/30/2022 7:07:20 PM   
kondor

Thank you Rafael for opening another game, and for your kind words. I think you've exaggerated a bit, I'm totally inexperienced with WA. Let's see how this one will pan out.
WA initial turn.
Nothing much, shuffling a bit troops here and there, Rafael moved an FT in Denmark preventing my CAG to do anything.
And as a sub is still in port, no hostilities this turn.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 3
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 1/30/2022 8:50:45 PM   
rjh1971

Fa39 Germany

The III Reich continues its expansion. Norway can prove an excellent base to hinder future convoys to Russia so it was taken with a combined attack carried out by the LW and the KM.
Scotland was left without flak so it was a great opportunity to hit its factory.
First U-boat sent to the Atlantic scored its first prey damaging a transport fleet off the Eastern Canadian coast.
Taking TLC this turn could have been possible but casualties would not have been acceptable so it was postponed to give time to the Wehrmacht to redeploy in the West.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 4
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 1/31/2022 6:41:35 PM   
kondor

FA '39 WA.
Flak moved to Scotland, factory repaired.
CAG missed GE HF in Danish straight, and DD-s failed to damage the experienced GE sub near Canada.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 5
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 1/31/2022 8:32:55 PM   
rjh1971

Wi39 Germany

German High Command is very pleased with the information gathered by the Abwehr, they could hardly believe Western France was only garrisoned with three militia and a fighter. The WA had placed the bulk of their army in the Maginot line. This led to the extension of operations in Winter and the acceleration of the plans foreseen.
TLC countries were invaded, casualties were higher than expected but bearable. All three armor based in W. German were given the order to attack W. France and succeeded, 2 WA artillery and one flak in E. France surrendered as they had no retreat path.
The light fleet from TLC was also duly taken care of...
France is conquered ahead of schedule.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 6
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 1/31/2022 8:50:25 PM   
kondor

And I've messed up that one already?
I was counting on the 3 population (militia units) to rise up in defense. But, I was wrong. again.
Sry to my ally.
I'll try to make it up somewhere else, I'm just pissed at myself.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 7
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/1/2022 5:24:55 AM   
tcart

quote:

Japan Winter 40
Sorry to be MIA. Work has been busy.
Also Japan at the start doesn't have much to say. I run up my experience bombing China and take a coastal province. But that's about all I do and I won't give away my long term plans here.

I will say that IMO Japan is all about planning ahead. Quite a bit ahead. You need to have a firm strategy and then prepare accordingly. That means building a ton of supply in advance and prepositioning ships for whatever direction you plan to strike. Last game Rafael took all of India. That looked pretty good to me. I know for sure the US will build fighters to protect his carriers.

Whatever I do, I will need to take some time next turn to map out exactly how many transports I need, where, and where to preposition supplies. If you try to do it turn by turn you inevitably end up short somewhere.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 8
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/1/2022 6:04:00 PM   
kondor

WA winter 40.
WA are ashamed of having to retreat from the growing menace in the continent.
Shuffling troops in the anticipation of the U-boats campaign.

(in reply to tcart)
Post #: 9
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/1/2022 8:05:02 PM   
rjh1971

Sp40 Germany

Shuffling troops around Europe. The Atlantic is full of destroyers but until they upgrade their ASW up to two I hope to get away. One TF was damaged and three heavy bombers temporaly put out of action a light fleet and a CAG.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 10
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/3/2022 6:49:24 PM   
kondor

WA turn, SP '40.
Subs and LF-s are still not upgraded atm, one GE sub received an elite status, and was left alone for this turn.
The other GE sub in N. Atlantic was damaged.

WA invested a bit in counterintelligence, and it seems like it's yielding fruit. It's still early to tell where will the Gerries go, but my gut is telling me that Rafael will try to pull off an early Barbarossa?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 11
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/4/2022 5:22:23 PM   
rjh1971

Su40 Germany

Nothing much to report. Allied transport fleet were set in convoy mode (two transports per area) and my elite sub was damaged in the attempt of attacking the transport fleet off the coast of Venezuela and French Guiana, though it resulted damaged the odds were favorable to the Allies.

Same story for the attack with my three heavy bombers in Scotland, one to one ratio is a bad exchange.

Yugoslavia remains neutral so no attack was possible.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 12
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/5/2022 1:06:08 PM   
kondor

SU40 WA.
Churchill is pleased with how the merchant navy performed the last turn. That elite sub was a terror of the seas.

Norway resource center was not protected from the air raid, and my HB-s damaged it.
Upgrading the troops, in this case -> FT-s to 6, and building of a war machine is in full steam.

GE is concentrating its panzers along the SU borders.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 13
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/6/2022 7:05:46 PM   
rjh1971

Fa40 Germany

The Yugoslavia coup still hasn't taken place (50% chance).
All air units available attack the WA fleet in the area next to Sardinia with very poor results, only on TF was sunk but it had 4 supplies in its hold.
A TF near Malta evaded a sub attack and was taken care of by the Italian Navy, which could not engage the RN due to a bomber in Malta that would cause operational fire.

More troops moved around occupied Europe...

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 14
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/7/2022 10:22:21 PM   
tcart

Japan Fall 1940

Changsha falls to a large combined arms attack. The jump in US WR is worth it, as most of the Chinese army is crushed. China will no longer be a land threat (I hope).

This was a key first step to Japan's larger plans, as now she is free to redeploy forces.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 15
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/8/2022 4:37:18 PM   
kondor

WA Fall '40.
RN find out that Reggia Marina sailed to central Med, and launched a favorable attack.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tcart)
Post #: 16
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/8/2022 4:40:43 PM   
kondor

Attack was conducted in two waves.
This first one went a little better for me.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 17
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/8/2022 4:41:53 PM   
kondor

The second one - not so great (despite the odds), but I can live with it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 18
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/8/2022 4:49:04 PM   
kondor

After the waves settled, the Italian navy is down to 1 HF, 3 LF-s, and a fee transports.

The GE submarine in the Atlantic proved illusive.
Germany was bombed by the lone HF, no damage was done.
And the lone militia unit in the horn of the E. Africa was deleted.

All in all, I'm quite happy how this all played out this turn. Now I await the counterattack of the CAG in N. Africa + what will the remnants of the Reggia Marina do?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 19
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/8/2022 4:52:43 PM   
kondor

GE subs are still on 2/2, which leads me to believe that Rafael will push for Barbarossa.
But to be safe, my LF-s are upgraded to attack 2.

And my spies come back with the loot of their own.
What am I to do with submarine evasion?! Get me the Musashi data!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 20
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/14/2022 7:49:33 AM   
rjh1971

Wi41 Germany

My apologies for the long delay. Lately it seems time slips through my fingers...

Anyway back to business, Yugoslavia coup despite have a 50% chance of taking place does not occur. That fact negatively affects the German strategy, troops should now be in position in Romania ready to attack the USSR which is not the case, all countries in the Balkans remain neutral

In the mean time, Malta was taken care of and an attack on the WA naval forces took place in the Med. A lone sub misses its target off the coast of Africa.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 21
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/17/2022 5:03:56 PM   
kondor

Again a large naval encounter in the central Med. By taking Malta, Italia exposed its remaining fleets, and Churchill pounced on it.
One additional UK HF was damaged while retreating from the area. By auto hit from Sicily's TAC bomber squadron.

And the lone sub off the cost of Africa was damaged.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kondor -- 2/17/2022 5:05:47 PM >

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 22
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/17/2022 5:11:02 PM   
kondor

Tobruk was taken, and the push to Tripoli is underway. Without naval support (Italy is down to 1 operational LF), it does not stand a chance.
And the opportunity to take Sardinia was too big for me to skip. Sure, I'll possibly lose some transports and present a target for the Luftwaffe, but it's better to be bombed in Sardinia than around London.

Germany is poised for Leningrad, and the attack may come the following turn. If the Germans attack soon, Luftwaffe will not be able to present itself on east and west theater.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 23
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/17/2022 6:34:46 PM   
rjh1971

Sp41 Germany

The geopolitical situation could not have been worse for the Axis powers. No coup in Yugoslavia; Romania, Bulgaria and Hungary are still neutral countries so no deployment of forces to launch Barbarossa had taken place.

In the Atlantic an u-boat was damaged trying to hit a TF off the coast of Canada. A veteran uboat avenged the first one but that is no comfort.

In the Med, two TF were sunk.

Yugoslavia was invaded and its resources repaired.

Russia was also invaded, not a good start to be honest, two panzer units destroyed in the first turn. I tried taking Kiev with 8 panzers but the odds were barely 44% success so they were all withdrawn but one that was pinned due to revealing units under fow. This panzers were afterwards sent towards Belorussia taking the area, yet suffering the second loss of a panzer unit.

The image shows the Axis troops at the start of the turn not at the end.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 24
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 - 2/18/2022 1:12:03 AM   
tcart

Japan Spring 41

Sorry for my erratic posts. I'm a tad swamped.

The Emperor will cheer on his German allies in Russia. Seems to me that adversity in the Atlantic and the Med can be overcome by a good campaign in the East.

Japan has very little to report. I tried bombing Chungking but with no luck. Honestly the Chinese can only build back so much, so I'm not especially worried. Perhaps that will haunt me later. Mostly I'm repositioning for... well, I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise.

I've always found this part of Japanese planning a bit tough. You need the supplies and transports to grab the juicy undefended South Pacific while pressuring the WA on at least one front. India? Australia? Pearl? I think it's a mistake to push on all three weakly. You need to pick one or two and commit enough forces to really pull it off.

Sadly, Japanese intel isn't good enough to really understand US War Readiness. That may affect my timing somewhere down the road.

Or, perhaps I'll just become a peacenik. That seems attractive too.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> After Action Reports >> 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 4 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI