Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Operation Varsity - Battles of 6 Brit Airborne Division

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Valor & Victory >> Scenario Design >> Operation Varsity - Battles of 6 Brit Airborne Division Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Operation Varsity - Battles of 6 Brit Airborne Division - 12/12/2021 12:25:12 PM   
Niederrheiner

Second part of "The Rhine Crossing" series - depicting battles of 6 Brit Airborne Division during "Operation Varsity" in March 1945. 8 new scenarios and maps, including the fighting for Dropzone A and B (mapsize > 600 hexes, OOB > 200 counters).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Niederrheiner -- 1/3/2022 9:30:34 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Operation Varsity - Battles of 6 Brit Airborne Divi... - 12/15/2021 10:48:21 AM   
Cataphract88

Thanks very much, Niederrheiner, for doing this and your earlier campaign.

I have a problem with the latest Campaign (Varsity), but I'm not sure it it's my PC or a bug in your campaign. What happens is that the first row of hexes, on the left-hand side of the screen, flickers repeatedly from top to bottom in each scenario.

I do not get this problem with any other scenario (including user-made), or your first campaign.

I thought you would want to know about this, and maybe offer some advice.

Many thanks.

Richard

(in reply to Niederrheiner)
Post #: 2
RE: Operation Varsity - Battles of 6 Brit Airborne Divi... - 12/15/2021 5:13:11 PM   
Niederrheiner

Hi Cataphract88,

I've just downloaded and reinstalled the campaign again, but I cannot reproduce the error. The xml-sources of the campaign seems to be ok, the png-images are the original from the game and the rendering is done by the game engine. At the moment, I have no idea.

Sometimes I also have a "flicker" - but only after using the zoom-function. Scrolling up/down and setting the zoom-resolution back to the original value often helps.

I'm playing in the full screen modus, but in the windows modus it might also help to change the resolution.

(in reply to Cataphract88)
Post #: 3
RE: Operation Varsity - Battles of 6 Brit Airborne Divi... - 12/15/2021 6:57:58 PM   
DingBat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cataphract88

Thanks very much, Niederrheiner, for doing this and your earlier campaign.

I have a problem with the latest Campaign (Varsity), but I'm not sure it it's my PC or a bug in your campaign. What happens is that the first row of hexes, on the left-hand side of the screen, flickers repeatedly from top to bottom in each scenario.

I do not get this problem with any other scenario (including user-made), or your first campaign.

I thought you would want to know about this, and maybe offer some advice.

Many thanks.

Hi Cataphract88,

Niederrheiner may not be responsible for this. Check in your effects options and see if birds and weather effects are on/off. If they're on, turn them off. See if that addresses the issue.

Note that I'm not at my computer at the moment so I won't guarantee that this is the same issue.

Cheers,
/bruce

< Message edited by DingBat -- 12/15/2021 7:00:14 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Operation Varsity - Battles of 6 Brit Airborne Divi... - 12/15/2021 11:22:14 PM   
Cataphract88

Hi DingBat,

Yeah, it was the birds! As soon as I turned them off the flickering stopped. Thanks a lot for the heads-up.

And thanks again, Niederrheiner, for making these two big campaigns.

< Message edited by Cataphract88 -- 12/15/2021 11:29:59 PM >

Richard

(in reply to DingBat)
Post #: 5
RE: Operation Varsity - Battles of 6 Brit Airborne Divi... - 12/29/2021 2:59:37 AM   
Rosseau

Yes, thanks for these very nice additions to a solid game. Very well done, with instructions no less!

Post #: 6
RE: Operation Varsity - Battles of 6 Brit Airborne Divi... - 1/3/2022 9:30:15 AM   
Niederrheiner

Version v1.0 is no longer available and will be replaced by v1.1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yurt0wagjge7tj/varsity6_v11.zip?dl=0

There is no change in content, just a technical update to an optimized and more compact tsx mapfile definition (downloadsize < 5 MB)

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 7
RE: Operation Varsity - Battles of 6 Brit Airborne Divi... - 2/10/2022 9:01:47 PM   
eddieballgame

Thank you for these, very well done.

Post #: 8
RE: Operation Varsity - Battles of 6 Brit Airborne Divi... - 2/15/2022 10:12:30 AM   
lourencm

Firstly, a huge thanks for your effort Niederrheiner! I've downloaded all the scenarios and really enjoy the overall campaign. Will play through it soon with my brother and let you know how badly he lost :-)

I do have a technical question, around how are you managing the maps? Would you be willing to chat about that, possibly via PM? I downloaded a tool called Tiled, which outputs .tsx and .tmx but I have no idea how you make the overall package, for example:

varsity1.dat
varsity1.tmx
varsity1-0.tsx ... varsity1-9.tsx
varsity1background.png
varsity1preview.png

Thanks,
Manny

Post #: 9
RE: Operation Varsity - Battles of 6 Brit Airborne Divi... - 2/16/2022 1:05:14 PM   
lourencm

Had my first crack at this last night, played Dropzone A (6th British Airborne Division) with my brother as a co-op game vs a German computer player.

I was in charge of the Northern detachment of paras whilst my brother took the South.

I went full HAM and overextended in the North at the start, paying a heavy price when the Germans counterattacked.

My brother had a much more cautious approach down South and eventually mopped-up all the resisting German forces, sending me reinforcements from his Eastern detachment once they were in the clear.

Sadly it was done a bit too slowly, although we only just lost with a small detachment of Germans holding the final objective in the Northwest on the last turn as we were literally one hex away with overwhelming forces!

We aim to play it through again.

Thanks again for the scenarios Niederrheiner!

< Message edited by lourencm -- 2/16/2022 1:06:50 PM >

(in reply to lourencm)
Post #: 10
RE: Operation Varsity - Battles of 6 Brit Airborne Divi... - 2/18/2022 10:58:34 AM   
ultradave

Thanks for all 4 of these. Downloaded them all and installed. Bought the game at the Matrix sale along with the Stalingrad DLC. With these installed too, I now have SO much content. I've opened up a few of these to look and they look interesting and fun.

Dave

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to lourencm)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Valor & Victory >> Scenario Design >> Operation Varsity - Battles of 6 Brit Airborne Division Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI