Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Graphics question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Graphics question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Graphics question - 11/28/2021 10:36:48 AM   
Chris21wen

I'm severally lacking in my graphics knowledge, basically if it shows me a picture I'm happy, if not I'm a grumpy (more than normal) old bastard.

I have a Dell Inspiron which is basicaly a laptop converted into a desktop. It comes with a 2Gb NVIDIA GeForce MX330 which appears to me standard for laptops.

My question is will the game work on it as the minimum appears to be 1Gb GTX560.
Post #: 1
RE: Graphics question - 11/28/2021 10:56:55 AM   
Sild

I guess it depends what's the target for the minimum specs.. I assume it's for 1080p, low setting, 30 or 60 fps. If it's for 60, then you sould be good, if it's for 30 you'll probably run it but the experience will be sub-par.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 2
RE: Graphics question - 11/28/2021 11:04:51 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sild

I guess it depends what's the target for the minimum specs.. I assume it's for 1080p, low setting, 30 or 60 fps. If it's for 60, then you sould be good, if it's for 30 you'll probably run it but the experience will be sub-par.

I think you got the FPS figures near the end flipped. Right now it reads that 30 FPS will run worse then 60 FPS.

(in reply to Sild)
Post #: 3
RE: Graphics question - 11/28/2021 1:58:27 PM   
OnePercent

Looked up your GPU vs the GTX560

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-560-vs-Nvidia-GeForce-MX330/3155vsm1111961

Looks like your card will struggle a bit more than the minimum spec GPU.

Especially, given that the majority of GTX560's are discrete, and they have their own cooling solutions.

Your laptop, will have poorer cooling solution than dedicated graphics cards.

< Message edited by OnePercent -- 11/28/2021 2:01:35 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 4
RE: Graphics question - 11/28/2021 3:13:04 PM   
Galaxy227

This card will likely suffer against the might of DW2. Time for an upgrade, old-timer!

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 5
RE: Graphics question - 12/1/2021 5:23:41 AM   
Chris21wen

Upgrade not an option. But as DW and many other games there are usually graphics options that can be turned off/reduced like fps but most of which I don't understand (or want to). When it says minimum standard is this with all those options turn on full or when set off/min?

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 6
RE: Graphics question - 12/1/2021 5:40:26 AM   
Galaxy227

I am sure it varies between games, but generally I interpret the minimum qualifications for a game to be exactly that—the bare minimum. Therefore, if we assume their minimum recommendation for DW2 has all settings either off or as low as possible, you would be out of luck. You're below the minimum requirement. You cannot stoop any lower.

It doesn't hurt to purchase the game and try yourself though. You can always return within the first two hours of playtime if you buy it on Steam.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 7
RE: Graphics question - 12/7/2021 7:19:25 PM   
eddieballgame

A big selling point for me will be 'UI scaling' per text, etc.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 8
RE: Graphics question - 12/7/2021 7:24:45 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

That mx330 is about on par with the 560 on general performance and is from 2020 so it will support all the modern api standards. You should be fine.

(in reply to eddieballgame)
Post #: 9
RE: Graphics question - 2/18/2022 6:23:29 AM   
Chris21wen

Sorry to keep on about this but I do want the game but my macine does not not meet the minimum spec. I've been told Steam will give me back my money if it won't work but I don't trust them, don't even like to use steam if i can absolutely help it.

So, has anyone part of the development term tried it on machine with a sub spec video card? Mine is 2GB Geforce MX330. I'd be grateful if someone would and post playability otherwise its a no buy unfortumately.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 10
RE: Graphics question - 2/18/2022 6:39:38 AM   
Galaxy227

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

Sorry to keep on about this but I do want the game but my macine does not not meet the minimum spec. I've been told Steam will give me back my money if it won't work but I don't trust them, don't even like to use steam if i can absolutely help it.

So, has anyone part of the development term tried it on machine with a sub spec video card? Mine is 2GB Geforce MX330. I'd be grateful if someone would and post playability otherwise its a no buy unfortumately.

It's called minimum for a reason; the absolute poorest hardware can be while still powerful enough to run the game in a playable state.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 11
RE: Graphics question - 2/18/2022 6:47:34 AM   
Spidey

The minimum requirement is a GTX 760 with 2gb memory. The GTX 760 was released in 2013.

Your card is an MX330. It's not great by any stretch but it is a dedicated video card. It was released in 2020 and it does have 2 gb of video memory.

I would be very surprised if it actually performs worse than a '60 from 2013. However, do note that laptop gaming has some pitfalls. The case is tiny and doesn't allow for much cooling, and once the inside gets too hot, the computer will slow down to compensate. Also, IT WILL PROBABLY BE MAKING VERY LOUD HAIRDRYER SOUNDS!!

As far as refunds go, Steam refunds are indeed a thing and in my experience they do work. Alternatively, GOG also sells the game and they generally have a very good refund policy that is basically 30 days after purchase.
https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011314978-How-do-I-refund-a-game-?product=gog

As for Matrix refunds, I'm not the right person to ask.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 12
RE: Graphics question - 2/18/2022 7:41:49 AM   
Pocus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spidey

(..)

I would be very surprised if it actually performs worse than a '60 from 2013. However, do note that laptop gaming has some pitfalls. The case is tiny and doesn't allow for much cooling, and once the inside gets too hot, the computer will slow down to compensate. Also, IT WILL PROBABLY BE MAKING VERY LOUD HAIRDRYER SOUNDS!!

(..)

My older laptop sounded like a drone taking off.

< Message edited by Pocus -- 2/18/2022 7:42:10 AM >

AGEOD Team

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 13
RE: Graphics question - 2/18/2022 1:35:09 PM   
Panpiper

I have a long history of using rock bottom graphics cards. It has been my experience that if you are fine with putting ALL graphics setting at off if possible and absolute minimum otherwise, and can live with a 30 frame per second screen refresh rate, you will be able to play virtually anything, regardless of what the "minimum" spec was by the game developer. For the most part, those minimum specifications are 'value judgements' by the developer, not technical limits.

Where you are most likely to encounter problems is the load on your processor and the heat it will generate. To compensate for that, you may be forced to play as much as you can tolerate in very small universes with a very small number of opponents, and even then your computer may run hot and noisy. Beware, hot and noisy is taxing on your system and you could destroy your computer if it is old and you play a lot.

You said that a new computer is not an option, but I would strongly suggest looking again at your options. A new budget build might be a lot cheaper than you might expect and could easily run Distant Worlds 2. For example, check out this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XBr9ApRDO8

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 14
RE: Graphics question - 2/18/2022 2:18:16 PM   
zgrssd

I have never had any issues with the Stream refund policy.

As long as you refund within 14 days of release and with less then 2 hours playtime, you will in my experience not even have to give a reason for the refund.
Steam realy has better ways to make money then put up a fight against quick refunds. Like selling more games, because you know you get quick refunds

My only issue is that I usually have to use google to find out the way for refunds. But that is a miniscule hurdle.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 2/18/2022 2:19:49 PM >

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 15
RE: Graphics question - 2/18/2022 2:35:23 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spidey

The minimum requirement is a GTX 760 with 2gb memory. The GTX 760 was released in 2013.

Your card is an MX330. It's not great by any stretch but it is a dedicated video card. It was released in 2020 and it does have 2 gb of video memory.

Not actually a laptop but a Dell all-in-one and seems to have good cooling. Thanks for the reply.

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 16
RE: Graphics question - 2/18/2022 2:37:05 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galaxy227

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

It's called minimum for a reason; the absolute poorest hardware can be while still powerful enough to run the game in a playable state.

I appecate that but wondered if anyone had actually tried it.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 17
RE: Graphics question - 2/18/2022 5:03:21 PM   
fnix

I have an integrated Intel chipset from 2019 and was just asking about this topic in the FAQ thread the other day, so it looks like there are several of us in the same boat. Since the game will apparently be available on GeForce NOW immediately on launch as well, those of us with a decent web connection shouldn't have any issues, but I will test it out natively on my machine as well.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 18
RE: Graphics question - 2/18/2022 6:23:39 PM   
zgrssd

My best advise is:
Buy it on steam.
Set a timer for 1 hour and 50 minutes.
And after that time you either refund it, or keep it - dependign on how much fun you have and how well your computer can handle it.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 2/18/2022 6:25:55 PM >

(in reply to fnix)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Graphics question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll