Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Mod Update: Bottlenecks in the Pacific 1.1. Release candidate

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Mod Update: Bottlenecks in the Pacific 1.1. Release candidate Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mod Update: Bottlenecks in the Pacific 1.1. Release... - 2/20/2022 5:08:14 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

What did the river crossings with yellow X mean?

A yellow X means a bridge did exist but has been damaged / destroyed prior to Dec 7th. 1941, a red X means no bridge did exist until after the war.

You will also note that some rail links are black-grey dotted lines - these indicate railroads destroyed or railroads not existing on Dec. 7th, 1941

For the dotted railroads and the yellow X crossings, the railroad is actually in place map-data-wise, players have to observe the house rule not to use the rail for strat moves until "repaired" or "constructed".

This is being simulated by using Eng assets in order to increase the port in the two hexes connected by the bridge resp. each hex traversed by a dotted railroad to max standard level before being allowed to use strat move of units in these hexes.

The flow of supplies over yellow X and dotted railroads and accopanying roads is still possible, but is strangled due to the application of supply caps - it will increase with each port level built.

I don't think, the flow of fuel/oil/resources is being impacted by supply caps, but you will need to occupy the entire railroad from Hanoi to Shanghai in order to create what has been termed the "magic highway" that links Singers with Shanghai, and find the necessary garrison forces since each hex has a garrison requirement.

Given the limitations and possibilities of the game engine, this is the closest I have come up with to simulate infrastructure improvements by player choice in the game and the necessary investments (engineering assets and supplies).

The alternative way of handling this would be to use a set of different pwhexdat (map data) files that would need to be applied by each player at predefined dates, starting with no railroads in place where damaged/not build and adding sections of repaired/constructed railroads over time. However, this would not tie-down any engineering assets and not use supplies, giving infrastructure improvements for free. Plus the hassle with different map data files to manage. Not my cup of tea.

quote:

If you set Vals to attack land targets at 10-15K they will dive bomb land targets and get more exposed to AA. Thus here in your mod since the Sonias are now dive bombers you will get the same effect at these altitudes dive bombing and not level bombing. So like Vals you will need to set the Sonias in your mod to attack land targets below 10K or above 15k to avoid more intense AA from divebombing...

My Sonias also have the "attack bomber" profile. I'm not sure how it interacts with the dive bomber profile - I think (or rather hope) they dive-bomb if set to 10k-15k, level-bomb above 15k and between 7k and 9k but drop to attack at 1k with a full bomb load when set to 6k or below.

quote:

Also I take it you will not be updating your map to the most current version of Bellum Pacifica or a non-hexside version?

I really like Bellum Pacifica v3 and use it in my PBEM. Always wanted to do a Bottlenecks version of it, but it is a lot of work and I have not found the motivation to start working on it - yet.

quote:

I also saw you noted there are no AI files included but I did notice there are AI files for Scen 59, 60, and 61 included in the mod folder. These are perhaps from DaBabes mod?

Yes, from DaBabes. Included for testing, not intended for playing a campaign vs computer - AI probably won't use the new bases or worse may get confused.

quote:

How does the Historical First Turn On/Off option work with your mod since you already include historical strikes? Do you recommend on or off?

Personally, I like giving orders on turn 1 to change some "historic stupid moves" like the Wake Is. invasion, so I turn historical first turn off. As long as you heed the HR about keeping the air forces grounded on the first turn, "historical off" should be fine.

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 2/20/2022 5:11:53 AM >

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 271
RE: Mod Update: Bottlenecks in the Pacific 1.1. Release... - 2/20/2022 5:38:15 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

quote:

What did the river crossings with yellow X mean?

A yellow X means a bridge did exist but has been damaged / destroyed prior to Dec 7th. 1941, a red X means no bridge did exist until after the war.

You will also note that some rail links are black-grey dotted lines - these indicate railroads destroyed or railroads not existing on Dec. 7th, 1941

For the dotted railroads and the yellow X crossings, the railroad is actually in place map-data-wise, players have to observe the house rule not to use the rail for strat moves until "repaired" or "constructed".

This is being simulated by using Eng assets in order to increase the port in the two hexes connected by the bridge resp. each hex traversed by a dotted railroad to max standard level before being allowed to use strat move of units in these hexes.

The flow of supplies over yellow X and dotted railroads and accopanying roads is still possible, but is strangled due to the application of supply caps - it will increase with each port level built.

I don't think, the flow of fuel/oil/resources is being impacted by supply caps, but you will need to occupy the entire railroad from Hanoi to Shanghai in order to create what has been termed the "magic highway" that links Singers with Shanghai, and find the necessary garrison forces since each hex has a garrison requirement.

Given the limitations and possibilities of the game engine, this is the closest I have come up with to simulate infrastructure improvements by player choice in the game and the necessary investments (engineering assets and supplies).

The alternative way of handling this would be to use a set of different pwhexdat (map data) files that would need to be applied by each player at predefined dates, starting with no railroads in place where damaged/not build and adding sections of repaired/constructed railroads over time. However, this would not tie-down any engineering assets and not use supplies, giving infrastructure improvements for free. Plus the hassle with different map data files to manage. Not my cup of tea.

quote:

If you set Vals to attack land targets at 10-15K they will dive bomb land targets and get more exposed to AA. Thus here in your mod since the Sonias are now dive bombers you will get the same effect at these altitudes dive bombing and not level bombing. So like Vals you will need to set the Sonias in your mod to attack land targets below 10K or above 15k to avoid more intense AA from divebombing...

My Sonias also have the "attack bomber" profile. I'm not sure how it interacts with the dive bomber profile - I think (or rather hope) they dive-bomb if set to 10k-15k, level-bomb above 15k and between 7k and 9k but drop to attack at 1k with a full bomb load when set to 6k or below.

quote:

Also I take it you will not be updating your map to the most current version of Bellum Pacifica or a non-hexside version?

I really like Bellum Pacifica v3 and use it in my PBEM. Always wanted to do a Bottlenecks version of it, but it is a lot of work and I have not found the motivation to start working on it - yet.

quote:

I also saw you noted there are no AI files included but I did notice there are AI files for Scen 59, 60, and 61 included in the mod folder. These are perhaps from DaBabes mod?

Yes, from DaBabes. Included for testing, not intended for playing a campaign vs computer - AI probably won't use the new bases or worse may get confused.

quote:

How does the Historical First Turn On/Off option work with your mod since you already include historical strikes? Do you recommend on or off?

Personally, I like giving orders on turn 1 to change some "historic stupid moves" like the Wake Is. invasion, so I turn historical first turn off. As long as you heed the HR about keeping the air forces grounded on the first turn, "historical off" should be fine.

Thank you for your answers!

I always thought Kamikaze Bellum Pacifica was the most recent version (v4?) and did not realize version 3 was actually an alternate version?

So you use version 3 with your own mod in PBEM? Curious why you like this version better than Kamikaze which to me is most recent and the best looking map of all?

I hope you do think about updating to the Kamikaze map one day but understand if not! Thanks for your efforts and communications! Enjoying learning about your mod before I play it!

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 272
RE: Mod Update: Bottlenecks in the Pacific 1.1. Release... - 2/20/2022 9:36:27 AM   
JanSako

+1 on the Bellum Pacifica map. We understand if that is enough for you to want to spend who know how much time on it though! :-)

A question about Sonia's. Like you said they, like any dive bombers, they are in trouble if there is a lot of flak or air opposition & they don't have large enough bombs to send them against entrenched units.

I am trying to use them in an ASW role, primarily around South China sea. With the proper training, would they be more effective in a dive bomber profile (10-11k) or attack bomber profile (3-4k or even less)? I am trying to understand which one has a higher hit chance. I can detect plenty of subs cause I have a lot of search up, but obviously Type-95 depth charges are... less than perfect... especially in deep water.

Should they be trained in Naval/Low Naval or ASW for this?

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 273
RE: Mod Update: Bottlenecks in the Pacific 1.1. Release... - 2/21/2022 2:37:03 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Ah got confused - my mod uses "Pacifica Bellum v2", which was followed by a v3, also using hexsides. This was finally followed by "Bellum Pacifica Kamikaze" with the "World at War" style "hexdots". So I use Kamikaze in my PBEM, and maybe one day will do a Bottlenecks version of this map.

Almost any Japanese plane is in trouble if there is a lot of flak or air opposition . The Sonia is no exception, as a ground attacker she was ok for use against the Chinese but not doing well against opponents well-equipped with AA. ASW is probably the best use for them outside China - I would train ASW and fly them between 2k and 6k. The last US warship sunk in WWII by enemy action was a sub sunk by a Sonia.

(in reply to JanSako)
Post #: 274
RE: Mod Update: Bottlenecks in the Pacific 1.1. Release... - 2/21/2022 7:17:26 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Ah got confused - my mod uses "Pacifica Bellum v2", which was followed by a v3, also using hexsides. This was finally followed by "Bellum Pacifica Kamikaze" with the "World at War" style "hexdots". So I use Kamikaze in my PBEM, and maybe one day will do a Bottlenecks version of this map.

Yes it is confusing with the four versions and glad to hear you also prefer Kamikaze and would be fantastic if you eventually upgraded to this! The map is the most beautiful and I much prefer hexdots to hexes.

When you say you use it in your PBEM is this Bottlenecks or are you playing a different scenario? Do you only play Bottlenecks?

Also saw this: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2784760&mpage=1&key=

Do we need to update the patches or have you already done so?

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 2/23/2022 4:36:35 AM >

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 275
RE: Mod Release: Bottlenecks in the Pacific - 2/23/2022 12:55:18 PM   
kbfchicago

Alpha,

No need to lose anything! Copy your game folder (in total all files) into a new folder. Modify from there. I currently have seven (7) WITP-AE folders (each with a slightly different name) one "base" which I copy to make mods and six with various versions of the game and mods added. You are only limited by your storage space! Note you will need to be sure you copy (or create new) and update your shortcut for starting the games to point to folder you want to use.

Game On. Kevin

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 276
RE: Mod Release: Bottlenecks in the Pacific - 2/23/2022 1:34:29 PM   
Zovs

Or you could use GME and easily swap them out in one install.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to kbfchicago)
Post #: 277
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Mod Update: Bottlenecks in the Pacific 1.1. Release candidate Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI