Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Garrisons in conquered bases?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Garrisons in conquered bases? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/19/2022 2:27:28 PM   
WEXF

Is there a simple way to see the garrison requirements for conquered bases?
I know that you can mouse over a base that is currently in enemy hands and see what the garrison requirement would be if you take that base. I am wondering if anyone has published a list for the Allies and the Japanese in the forum.
I have looked for one but have not found any.
WEXF
Post #: 1
RE: Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/19/2022 2:53:00 PM   
dr.hal

If you use Tracker, it provides such a list. You simply prioritize "garrison" in one of its tabs.

(in reply to WEXF)
Post #: 2
RE: Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/19/2022 3:02:56 PM   
Platoonist

You can also see the garrison requirements for all bases, enemy or friendly by going into the bases menu (B) and clicking the resources and garrisons filter in the upper right.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Platoonist -- 2/19/2022 3:06:26 PM >

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 3
RE: Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/19/2022 3:07:27 PM   
WEXF

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

You can also see the garrison requirements for all bases, enemy or friendly by going into the bases menu (B) and clicking the resources and garrisons tab in the upper right.

I have seen these pages but the numbers are not correct. They don't match the numbers you see when you "mouse Over" the bases. For example looking at Davao if you mouse over that base as the Japanese player before it is taken the number for a garrison is 20.
WEXF

< Message edited by WEXF -- 2/19/2022 3:12:50 PM >

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 4
RE: Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/19/2022 5:09:23 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: WEXF

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

You can also see the garrison requirements for all bases, enemy or friendly by going into the bases menu (B) and clicking the resources and garrisons tab in the upper right.

I have seen these pages but the numbers are not correct. They don't match the numbers you see when you "mouse Over" the bases. For example looking at Davao if you mouse over that base as the Japanese player before it is taken the number for a garrison is 20.
WEXF

Garrisons can vary by Scenario/Mod. Which are you playing?
The report Platoonist was recommending is drawing on a database for the scenario he is playing. If you are playing a different one, the different data in your game should adjust the database accordingly.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to WEXF)
Post #: 5
RE: Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/19/2022 5:22:33 PM   
WEXF

I understand that the levels can vary by scenario.
I am playing Sc1. The fighting has just started (8Dec41).
If I "mouse over" Manila it shows a garrison requirement (if the Japanese take the base) of 140.
If I check the screen as referenced above (red screen) it shows Manila with a number of 14. In that screen there is no number that reaches 140 for any base.
WEXF

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by WEXF -- 2/19/2022 5:28:19 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/19/2022 5:33:12 PM   
WEXF

Here is the other screen shot.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to WEXF)
Post #: 7
RE: Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/19/2022 8:04:52 PM   
geofflambert

The garrison values also vary depending on which side you're on. If you're "mousing over" you may be seeing your opponent's garrison requirement if he's the occupier as opposed to your own, I'm not sure.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 2/19/2022 8:05:15 PM >

(in reply to WEXF)
Post #: 8
RE: Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/19/2022 8:36:34 PM   
WEXF

In another attempt to get the answer clear, does anyone really know what the numbers in the "required garrison" on the red enemy bases screenshot actually represent?
As another part of this thread-can anyone explain the difference between the three levels possible by selection in the upper left of the "Bases" screen that reads: "Showing All Level" or "Showing Minimal Levels" or "Showing Low Levels"?
WEXF

< Message edited by WEXF -- 2/19/2022 9:21:14 PM >

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 9
RE: Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/19/2022 9:53:27 PM   
grond69

I don't know about the enemy garrison requirements. I have never noticed that before! But, the answer to your other questions is that those refer to supply and/or AV requirements

(in reply to WEXF)
Post #: 10
RE: Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/19/2022 11:33:32 PM   
WEXF

Thanks. I see that when you hold the mouse over that spot it reads:
"Show all, minimum, or low level of supply and or AV support or garrison".
In practice this allows you to quickly see which bases are in trouble or getting close to trouble for supply or aviation support.
The same would be true for bases that are in need of additional troops to meet garrison requirements.
One question answered.
Still looking for the answer to my original questions?

Is there a simple way to see the garrison requirements for conquered bases?
I know that you can mouse over a base that is currently in enemy hands and see what the garrison requirement would be if you take that base. I am wondering if anyone has published a list for the Allies and the Japanese in the forum.
I have looked for one but have not found any. (other than using Tracker)

Does anyone really know what the numbers in the "required garrison" on the red enemy bases screenshot actually represent?

WEXF

< Message edited by WEXF -- 2/19/2022 11:37:20 PM >

(in reply to grond69)
Post #: 11
RE: Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/20/2022 7:40:31 AM   
Chris21wen

How would you know exactly what garrison level you need before you capture it? You don't know how resistant the locals are, they may like you, initially anyway. They may hate the previous 'owners'. Simply put you don't know. We only know because a) we played it before and b) history which is what the game models.

In the game the mouseover gives you the your garrison requirements for the base which maybe entirely different to the enemy. For instance, the Allies don't need garrison in Manila.

Tracker lists all bases but only gives you details on your bases. E.g No garrison requirements for enemy controlled ones.

The red bases are bases not currently owned by you and I've absolutely no idea what the garrison numbers mean, never used them. I suppose they must mean something or why have them but it sure isn't garrison. It could be an intel guess on the strength/number of the Allied forces in the base. There's nothing in the manual that I can find about it.

If you relly want the garrison details load up the editor and look under locations.

(in reply to WEXF)
Post #: 12
RE: Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/20/2022 1:26:40 PM   
WEXF

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

How would you know exactly what garrison level you need before you capture it? You don't know how resistant the locals are, they may like you, initially anyway. They may hate the previous 'owners'. Simply put you don't know. We only know because a) we played it before and b) history which is what the game models.

In the game the mouseover gives you the your garrison requirements for the base which maybe entirely different to the enemy. For instance, the Allies don't need garrison in Manila.

I agree with some of what you say but the game does set garrison levels for bases that you do not yet own. If you are playing as Japan and mouse over Winnipeg you will see that there is a garrison requirement of 80. I picked Winnipeg because it is likely never going to become a Japanese base. But if you are playing as Japan you will see the requirement. The same is true for all "potential bases" that will require a garrison "if" taken.
Notice in the screenshot the range from Tokyo is shown. The shot is from Scenario 1 at the start of the game.
WEXF
WEXF

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 13
RE: Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/21/2022 5:44:02 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

I agree with some of what you say but the game does set garrison levels for bases that you do not yet own. If you are playing as Japan and mouse over Winnipeg you will see that there is a garrison requirement of 80. I picked Winnipeg because it is likely never going to become a Japanese base. But if you are playing as Japan you will see the requirement. The same is true for all "potential bases" that will require a garrison "if" taken.
Notice in the screenshot the range from Tokyo is shown. The shot is from Scenario 1 at the start of the game.
WEXF

I don't quite get the problem or you're misunderstanding. That is perfectly correct it is your garrison level as Jaapan if you control it. If you play as the allies and look its zero. As the Allies Tokyo garrison level is set at 1160.

This may help. In the screen shot manpower is shown as 5(0). Thats 5 for the Allies (0 for Japan) and it's the same no matter what side you are playing. The figures in () are the Japanese requirements if they control it.

Not sure why you mention range, it has nothing to do with it.

(in reply to WEXF)
Post #: 14
RE: Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/21/2022 10:43:56 AM   
jdsrae

quote:

Does anyone really know what the numbers in the "required garrison" on the red enemy bases screenshot actually represent?

WEXF

I don't know what they represent, but they don't match the garrison requirement.
This is Scenario 1 showing what the red numbers say (garrison required of 293) vs the actual garrison requirement of 80.

Attachment (1)

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to WEXF)
Post #: 15
RE: Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/21/2022 10:49:25 AM   
jdsrae

quote:

This may help. In the screen shot manpower is shown as 5(0). Thats 5 for the Allies (0 for Japan) and it's the same no matter what side you are playing.

That's not right. 5(0) means 5 undamaged and (0) damaged.
This is from Scenario 1 and shows Hong Kong on 7 Dec 41, then again on 1 Jan 42 after capture showing some damage and other effects of capturing industry. While Manpower wasn't exactly divided by 10 in this example, total HI was halved, while other industry is captured with no change to the total points (sum of undamaged and damaged).

13.6 CAPTURING INDUSTRY
»» Captured Manpower Centers are divided by 10. For example, if you capture a 30 point enemy Manpower Center, it will be worth 3 to you.

»» Captured Heavy Industry is halved each time it is captured. For example, a 50 point Heavy Industry that is captured is reduced to 25; if it is captured again, it is reduced by half again to 12 (fractions are rounded down).

Attachment (1)

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 16
RE: Garrisons in conquered bases? - 2/21/2022 12:53:02 PM   
WEXF

quote:

Not sure why you mention range, it has nothing to do with it.

The only reason I mentioned the range was to show that the screenshot was from the perspective of the Japanese player. The range figure to Winnipeg is from Tokyo. I know it has nothing to do with the question of the garrison values but I wanted to be sure everyone knew it was from the Japanese players map.
WEXF

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Garrisons in conquered bases? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI