Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Loading infantry units on trucks ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Loading infantry units on trucks ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Loading infantry units on trucks ? - 2/21/2022 3:26:26 AM   
nukkxx5058

Hi, is there a way to load infantry units on trucks?
How do you move infantry units on larger distances like 100+ miles away ?
Thank you.
Post #: 1
RE: Loading infantry units on trucks ? - 2/21/2022 4:25:16 AM   
nukkxx5058

And I have a second question about infantry units: How do I know the unit size and attack value ?
I can see different types of Inf units: Inf / Inf Bde / Inf Bn / Inf Coy / Inf Plt / Inf sec.
My guess is that it's respectively Infantry / infantry brigade / infantry Battalion / Infantry Coy (convoy???) / Infantry platoon / infantry section. Is that correct ?

Because I want to know how they differ in terms of number of soldiers and fire power. But by looking at the number of MG bursts and dispersal radius it doesn't seem to always make sense.

So how do I estimate the number of men in each unit and the unit attack value ? Which type of infantry unit is the largest/most powerful ? How do I guess the attack value ?

Thank you

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 2
RE: Loading infantry units on trucks ? - 2/21/2022 11:28:24 AM   
hrfepo1

Tagging along for the answer.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 3
RE: Loading infantry units on trucks ? - 2/21/2022 12:56:48 PM   
BDukes

Not sure if this is a feature yet so holding on the bug report. You can add the cargo but when you unload it disappears. This is kinda on the line of what this version of CMO does so one of those things where you've got to be fair. Will wait for dev to respond. No pressure at all!

Lua in the meantime.

Mike

Don't call it a comeback...

(in reply to hrfepo1)
Post #: 4
RE: Loading infantry units on trucks ? - 2/21/2022 1:27:17 PM   
stww2

1) Vehicles cannot transport cargo using the Chains of War cargo system (AKAIK-I've never seen it, anyway). You could of course use teleportation or delete/spawn the infantry via Lua to simulate vehicle transport.

2) The exact number of soldiers directly is pretty much irrelevant for combat purposes (although highly relevant for Chains of War cargo purposes). What you'll likely want to look at is the number of mounts and what weapons they have (you can find this information in both the unit's DB entry and from the Weapons Tab on the right-side panel). For CMO purposes, the more powerful unit is likely going to be whichever one has the longer ranged, more accurate weapon (generally, for infantry, the order will be: ATGM's>recoilless rifles>Generic Unguided AT/7.62 MG), though different sensors would probably also have an impact, especially at night. Generally, having mounts dispersed across multiple units is going to be better than having every mount in one unit. If two units with the same type of weapons and sensors encounter each other, then the battle will probably come down to whichever one has more mounts plus a healthy dose of luck (those generic unguided AT rounds can be devastating if they hit, but that's not always guaranteed).

If the enemy has no AA, the most efficient anti-infantry weapon is probably the door mounted machine guns on most transport helicopters. Infantry MG's in CMO aren't modelled as having an AA capability and cover is too granular for the game's scope, so MG armed helicopters will slaughter infantry squads once detected. And the helicopter's generally still get these weapons even with a ferry loadout, so that means you can usually ready them in 30 minutes rather than the six hours that a purpose built strike aircraft will generally take.

(in reply to hrfepo1)
Post #: 5
RE: Loading infantry units on trucks ? - 2/22/2022 12:14:40 PM   
SunlitZelkova

He gets the main points, but I'll add to stww2's answer-

The different infantry units are as follows-

Inf- this is an "empty" unit, that spawns with the mounts you loaded on to a ship or aircraft when cargo gets unloaded. It can be added in the scenario editor and is viewable in the DB so that it works like a normal unit, but in practice I don't think players are expected to use the unmodified unit itself.

Inf Bde/Inf Bn/Inf Coy- These are APP-6 placeholders intended to represent larger units depending on the design of the scenario. The acronyms stand for Brigade, Battalion, and Company, respectively. Players are presumably expected to add mounts to these, not use them "out of the box". An example of the use of this unit would be adding all of the mounts that an infantry company would have instead of using the individual platoons. So if I wanted to lower the unit count in my scenario, I would add 12x M1126 Stryker mounts to the "Inf Coy" unit to make a Stryker company, instead of using 3x Mech Inf Plt (XM1126 Stryker). Use of this would depend on whether you want your units to operate close together or spread out.

Inf Plt- This is supposed to be an Infantry Platoon, but due to some inconsistencies in nomenclature and the cargo system, it technically isn't exactly. For practical purposes it is fine, however. The way infantry platoons are modelled in the game, they can basically be described as consisting of the automatic riflemen/gunner's weapon (a machine gun). The platoons consist of four squads/sections (which based on the personnel count in the cargo DB, are actually more like fire teams), thus four machine guns. It should be noted that infantry weapons are literally on the very bottom end of the game's weapon systems, only surpassed in lack of hitting power and range by the 9mm pistol mount in the DB3000. Thus even though it says "7.62mm MG Burst (20 rounds)", it might as well be the entire squad firing their rifles in semi-automatic mode; or in the CWDB, even bolt action rifles.

Inf Sec- This is an infantry section. It is used for an even higher degree of dispersal, so you don't have all of the mounts getting destroyed by one guided bomb. There is also an infantry recon section, which is invisible (impossible for the enemy to detect). Otherwise, infantry sections are only used for anti-tank weapons and support units (heavy machine guns and mortars)

As far as attack power goes, whoever has the most mounts will prevail. So even if you have 4x infantry platoons dispersed across a valley, a single infantry battalion with 16x infantry platoons is going to prevail.

I built a very rough Khe Sanh scenario recently, and it was very interesting. The artillery was wildly inaccurate firing point blank, and mortars and recoilless rifles had severe issues too. The USMC actually held out pretty well against the PAVN onslaught, but artillery was continually firing on fixed positions, and the shrapnel was hitting the regular infantry platoons. So the south side of the base was nearly annihilated. On the north side, however, the attack was much smaller, just a few infantry platoons supported by PT-76s and a couple 81mm mortars, and the USMC infantry not only survived (as it was spread out more and there were fewer fixed positions) but also succeeded in destroying most of the attacking platoons, while recoilless rifles succeeded in destroying the PT-76s. I also added some T-34-85s and IS-2s to the PAVN side to see how they did against a smaller number of Marine M48A3s. The M48s missed wildly, not hitting any of the infantry units or tanks they targeted (they actually ran out of AP ammo trying to destroy one IS-2 platoon). The IS-2s likewise probably had their own issues, because despite driving directly into the Marine infantry positions, they did not fire at all.

On the other hand, most of the PAVN forces were detected well before reaching the base, and thus were subject to 175mm artillery fire from nearly maximum range at Camp Carroll. These were inaccurate but the enemy units were spread out enough that some were actually hit, and received a decent amount of damage.

< Message edited by SunlitZelkova -- 2/22/2022 12:18:17 PM >

Formerly known as Project2035, TyeeBanzai, and FlyForLenin

(in reply to stww2)
Post #: 6
RE: Loading infantry units on trucks ? - 2/22/2022 2:43:16 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: SunlitZelkova

He gets the main points, but I'll add to stww2's answer-

The different infantry units are as follows-

Inf- this is an "empty" unit, that spawns with the mounts you loaded on to a ship or aircraft when cargo gets unloaded. It can be added in the scenario editor and is viewable in the DB so that it works like a normal unit, but in practice I don't think players are expected to use the unmodified unit itself.

Inf Bde/Inf Bn/Inf Coy- These are APP-6 placeholders intended to represent larger units depending on the design of the scenario. The acronyms stand for Brigade, Battalion, and Company, respectively. Players are presumably expected to add mounts to these, not use them "out of the box". An example of the use of this unit would be adding all of the mounts that an infantry company would have instead of using the individual platoons. So if I wanted to lower the unit count in my scenario, I would add 12x M1126 Stryker mounts to the "Inf Coy" unit to make a Stryker company, instead of using 3x Mech Inf Plt (XM1126 Stryker). Use of this would depend on whether you want your units to operate close together or spread out.

Inf Plt- This is supposed to be an Infantry Platoon, but due to some inconsistencies in nomenclature and the cargo system, it technically isn't exactly. For practical purposes it is fine, however. The way infantry platoons are modelled in the game, they can basically be described as consisting of the automatic riflemen/gunner's weapon (a machine gun). The platoons consist of four squads/sections (which based on the personnel count in the cargo DB, are actually more like fire teams), thus four machine guns. It should be noted that infantry weapons are literally on the very bottom end of the game's weapon systems, only surpassed in lack of hitting power and range by the 9mm pistol mount in the DB3000. Thus even though it says "7.62mm MG Burst (20 rounds)", it might as well be the entire squad firing their rifles in semi-automatic mode; or in the CWDB, even bolt action rifles.

Inf Sec- This is an infantry section. It is used for an even higher degree of dispersal, so you don't have all of the mounts getting destroyed by one guided bomb. There is also an infantry recon section, which is invisible (impossible for the enemy to detect). Otherwise, infantry sections are only used for anti-tank weapons and support units (heavy machine guns and mortars)

As far as attack power goes, whoever has the most mounts will prevail. So even if you have 4x infantry platoons dispersed across a valley, a single infantry battalion with 16x infantry platoons is going to prevail.

I built a very rough Khe Sanh scenario recently, and it was very interesting. The artillery was wildly inaccurate firing point blank, and mortars and recoilless rifles had severe issues too. The USMC actually held out pretty well against the PAVN onslaught, but artillery was continually firing on fixed positions, and the shrapnel was hitting the regular infantry platoons. So the south side of the base was nearly annihilated. On the north side, however, the attack was much smaller, just a few infantry platoons supported by PT-76s and a couple 81mm mortars, and the USMC infantry not only survived (as it was spread out more and there were fewer fixed positions) but also succeeded in destroying most of the attacking platoons, while recoilless rifles succeeded in destroying the PT-76s. I also added some T-34-85s and IS-2s to the PAVN side to see how they did against a smaller number of Marine M48A3s. The M48s missed wildly, not hitting any of the infantry units or tanks they targeted (they actually ran out of AP ammo trying to destroy one IS-2 platoon). The IS-2s likewise probably had their own issues, because despite driving directly into the Marine infantry positions, they did not fire at all.

On the other hand, most of the PAVN forces were detected well before reaching the base, and thus were subject to 175mm artillery fire from nearly maximum range at Camp Carroll. These were inaccurate but the enemy units were spread out enough that some were actually hit, and received a decent amount of damage.

Very interesting !! Thank you.

(in reply to SunlitZelkova)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Loading infantry units on trucks ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI